Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times

Advertisements

Tinseltown's comeback: Los Angeles' resurgence as America's cultural capital | Art and design | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,698 times
Now, now, now. Don't you know Los Angeles is without culture?

Sarcasm aside, I loved the article!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:14 AM

1,011 posts, read 977,688 times
Culture? What's that?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
I didn't read the article...but found the title funny.

Kind of funny that the Brits think they have "discovered" or "rediscovered" Los Angeles.

Pretty much all of this stuff was already here and never went away...but I guess it's just that L.A is cool again.

It will be interesting to see how these affects the city...seems we could see prices going up even more.
Looks like New Yorkers have warmed up to L.A too recently.

Exhausted New Yorkers Give Up, Move To LA: Gothamist

It does seem like L.A is often left out in the list of 'world class cities' that always includes New York and London,paris,etc
L.A has been pretty much the underdog.

To me as a native that has lived here my whole life it's kind of annoying to see people just wanting to jump on the L.A bandwagon as it being the 'hot new thing' and probably not interested in really getting to know the city and the history of the city more intimately.
For example; I feel like it's hard or perhaps impossible to appreciate DTLA is now, if you didn't know how it was back in the day when even most natives would avoid the area unless they worked there.
I think these types of glowing articles can also have negative affects.

Yes there is a ton of cool stuff to do in L.A..but it's also a big city with some big issues too.. The homeless population and high poverty is one big issue. Also a decline in services.
I think these articles can kind of glamorize L.A

These articles also seem to 'predict' a future that is already the reality of the current situation

For example
"A graver concern is that gentrification will push out artists who colonise semi-deserted neighbourhoods, paving the way for posh apartments and stores which drive up rents. The average rent in downtown LA jumped 5.3% over the past year, to $2,158."
That has already happened in several parts of L.A
Also there are pretty much no "semi-deserted' neighborhoods in L.A... just semi-deserted with certain demographics perhaps.
It's not a city with a bunch of vacant houses like Detroit.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 AM

925 posts, read 1,066,914 times
Yes another article by those who only think the city is the west side elite. Haven't been to the west side in years and don't care to go there now. The exciting things in LA seem to be happening g Downtown and in Hollywood. Coincidentally the areas well connected by transit.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:22 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,582 times
I found this comment from the writer about a recently-arrived New Yorker, Sasha Frere-Jones, interesting:

"If LA had an inferiority complex about its east coast rival, Frere-Jones had not noticed. “I don’t encounter it. People here are pretty invested in the city.”

Do outsiders just assume that people in L.A. have an inferiority complex because NYC is so...fabulous? Are they really surprised when they find out that people here don't much care one way or another about New York?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 AM

925 posts, read 1,066,914 times
Exactly, having traveled around the world I fail to see what is so great about New York. For the n it's part everything outside of some sections of Manhattan is worn and depressing and the people seem very unhappy.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:58 PM

149 posts, read 232,301 times
Unhappy in NYC?

As someone who spends a lot of time in NYC and Los Angeles, the same could very well be said about many people in LA.

I love both cities, but the problem with both cities is, too many people want to live in those cities. I don't think most humans want to live in cities with millions upon millions upon million in the metro. The issue is the amenities and allure are too much for many to resist.

You know how annoying you feel when someone is standing entirely too close to you, talking in your face?

Thats how I feel about almost every mega-city I've been to.

There just isn't enough planning in the world to make 3M+ people comfortable. I'm sure some exceptions exist. Probably.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I found this comment from the writer about a recently-arrived New Yorker, Sasha Frere-Jones, interesting:

"If LA had an inferiority complex about its east coast rival, Frere-Jones had not noticed. “I don’t encounter it. People here are pretty invested in the city.”

Do outsiders just assume that people in L.A. have an inferiority complex because NYC is so...fabulous? Are they really surprised when they find out that people here don't much care one way or another about New York?
New York City, although one of the places my wife and I want to visit some day, is not a place that I would think as better than LA. Both are different places and have good and bad points. I for one prefer the weather right here.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:48 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Yes another article by those who only think the city is the west side elite. Haven't been to the west side in years and don't care to go there now. The exciting things in LA seem to be happening g Downtown and in Hollywood. Coincidentally the areas well connected by transit.

Did you read the article? Most of the discussion was focused on downtown and points east of La Brea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles