Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:05 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,996,949 times

Advertisements

My brother lives there in a newer loft apartment in a ~30 unit building. It's best to evaluate a particular block as some are more than fine and others are a bit grungy. But developers are buying up lots and building newer, more expensive apartment buildings north of Melrose. So the area is going to look a lot different in 10 years. He lives right off Melrose and the traffic noise is pretty loud with his windows open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times
Why does this OP constantly start threads asking about areas that he can drive to in 15 to 20 minutes? So much for being a young traveler.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,236,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why does this OP constantly start threads asking about areas that he can drive to in 15 to 20 minutes? So much for being a young traveler.
why have online forums if we can just google everything?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,200,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
The area south of Melrose (Hancock Park) is very nice, but once you go north into Hollywood, it starts getting grungy. Not a bad area, but not great. Amazing of how much of a difference a few streets makes. Hancock Park is a beautiful area with tree lined streets, but it's surrounded by dumpy areas of Hollywood and Koreatown.
It is rather funny to me, as the north part used be better, I think? My first teaching assignment was there, Cal State, LA. I am glad I decided not to remain an academic.

I, for one, did not like southern California.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,996,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
It is rather funny to me, as the north part used be better, I think?
South of Melrose is mostly single family homes so it feels very residential. Not to mention the fact that anyone who can afford to buy a home there has some money. North of Melrose is mostly apartment buildings mixed with some commercial properties so it feels more "urban." There are still quite a few "slumlord" buildings in the area north or Melrose.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
why have online forums if we can just google everything?
You didn't answer the question. Awhile back you did a thread about your boring coworkers who never go anywhere or do anything.

Yet you have several threads about areas that you could drive to and find out for yourself, why don't you?

It's one thing if someone is asking who lives in Atlanta and is thinking of moving to LA, you're 15 minutes away, go check it out yourself.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
It is rather funny to me, as the north part used be better, I think? My first teaching assignment was there, Cal State, LA. I am glad I decided not to remain an academic.

I, for one, did not like southern California.
Fair enough, I have been through your neck of the woods, Alabama and Louisiana and you couldn't pay me to live there. The humidity alone is a deal breaker among other things.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,763,805 times
I lived at the corner of Wilton Pl. and Lemon Grove Ave for years and never had any issues other than MS13 exploding the windsheild of my Caddy and the bungalows next door with Molotov cocktails.

I loved that apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles