Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Los Angeles is such a big city. It seems even people that were raised here don't realize they live in the city of L.A . I know in the valley a lot of people will reference "L.A" as being Downtown L.A ...not sure how or why that started. I'm like.. "You LIVE in L.A!"

You hear people saying stuff like "Our business is located in the city of Reseda" ...great except there is no city of Reseda..it's a neighborhood in city of Los Angeles.

In many parts of the country these neighborhoods would be their own city. I think things would be run a lot better for people if there was more local control and there would be more a sense of community and identity.

The problem is that Reseda has to fight for attention from the city or mayor with hot areas like DTLA, Silverlake, the Westside, Hollywood,etc etc.
I know the Valley has some cool areas, but there is nothing really to draw me to the Valley at all. I feel like the Valley needs a big Music Festival or something of that nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:04 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I know the Valley has some cool areas, but there is nothing really to draw me to the Valley at all. I feel like the Valley needs a big Music Festival or something of that nature.
Yeah a music festival would be nice.
I can see what you mean though that there probably isn't anything to draw you.
I guess I kind of feel that way about the westside now in a way. I'm sure a lot of it is because I grew up there. So kind of been there done that I guess..
I grew up on the westside and never really went to the valley. Not that I live in the valley..I don't go to the westside too much. From my place , I can get to Hollywood , Echo Park ,etc or even DTLA quicker than the westside usually.

Between Burbank,North Hollywood, Studio City,Sherman Oaks there are quite a few places. Those are within 20mins or so of my place. I can usually get to Glendale in like 20 mins too.

I agree though that the valley doesn't really have too many destination spots. Also outside of Universal Studios there isn't really much that is touristy.

But I think that's part of the appeal of the valley for me, or why I've grown to appreciate it.

Discovering those places or areas that aren't famous , or on every guidebook,blog, tv show, tabloid articles,etc.

It's also nice not having to fight or pay for parking pretty much everywhere and gridlock traffic..which can both happen in the valley too , and parking is annoying especially in like Studio City area..but it just seems a lot worse in like the Westside ,mid city areas , dtla,etc.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Parking alone makes me appreciate the Valley more. But seriously the life is much more relaxed and laid back here. Whenever I go into town like in WeHo, Westwood, Koreatown, DTLA I'm reminded by how stacked on top of each other everyone is living. It really feels more like living in a city like NYC. That might appeal to younger mobile twenty somethings but I need some space. That's why Burbank is heaven on earth to me. It's so homely.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
The Valley did host some musical festivals way back when at Devonshire Downs in Northridge/CSUN. It was a multi-purpose horse racing track built in the 1940's which was converted to sports/musical/live event space in the 1960's.

Played host to a three-day festival in 1969 with none other than Jimi Hendrix as the headliner. Roughly 200,000 people attended over the three days. Plenty of other big acts played there in the 60's including the Doors and bluesman Albert Collins. In the 1980's, the venue hosted a lot of punk/alternative shows including the Dead Kennedys among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devonshire_Downs

Newport '69, a retrospect - LA Observed - Visiting bloggers

Old 01-12-2016, 04:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
What areas of LA City have large concentrations of Mexican immigrants beside? I have always heard that LA has second most Mexicans after Mexico City.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:10 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What areas of LA City have large concentrations of Mexican immigrants beside? I have always heard that LA has second most Mexicans after Mexico City.
this should give you a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Are the Valley, and West LA largely middle class and above-capture.png  

Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
this should give you a good idea.
I just wish I can see the borders though. I cannot tell what is LA and what is not.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,698 times
Quote:
There are Mexicans everywhere in Los Angeles.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Quote:
I just wish I can see the borders though. I cannot tell what is LA and what is not.
Google is your friend...try it.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 AM

37 posts, read 30,074 times
Moving from the Midwest here about 2 years ago I am happy I settled in the Valley. It's close to LA proper yet still some what suburb like, with a bit more traffic. Although I wish homes in WH, Tarzana, would be nice if they were more affordable. hah

I couldnt imagine living in other areas such as Downey and the areas down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles