Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:14 PM

23 posts, read 45,123 times

Advertisements

This is a serious post. I have this extremely strong desire to move to LA, though I don't want to fail and end up homeless. What are some jobs that will allow me the time to take flying lessons? There's server and bussing jobs. Uber/Lyft, retail. Something not too demanding. My desire to move here is almost burning, but I'm scared of not having a job lined up, as LA is very competive and expensive. Should I try lining up a job here from NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,489 times
How are you going to pay for the flying lessons and afford to live in LA with those sorts of jobs?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:36 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
One doesn't have to move to Los Angeles to become a pilot. This "burning desire" you speak of... Where is it coming from? Have you ever visited Los Angeles for a long period of time?

You will not survive in L.A. with those jobs you mentioned. You need to stay in New Jersey and save your money, and YES, have a job lined up.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:34 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
You need a career. Those jobs you speak of will barely allow you to get by. Forget flying lessons or moving to LA.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:45 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
Why not join the Air Force and let them help you become a pilot ?

Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Wow, so you want to learn to fly. Why? What are you trying to accomplish? What type of rating do you want to get?

I like to fly myself. We are looking into getting another airplane soon. We ended up selling off our last airplane. That is the choice that we made to continue living here in sunny California.

Lets look at the cost involved. From start to finish figure on about $10,000 or so as a rough estimate.

https://www.quora.com/Pilot-School/W...o-learn-to-fly
Claims about $100 an hour but the story is a few years old. Also realize that fuel cost is higher in California than anywhere else in the lower 48 states.

https://www.quora.com/Where-is-the-b...o-learn-to-fly
(You may want to move to Florida instead of California)

Five Ways to Learn to Fly | Flying Magazine

http://www.sunstateaviation.com/private-pilot-training/

You can find some good older airplanes to fly around in. It all depends on what you want in an aircraft and what you want to do with it. I have seen older Cessna 152 for under $20,000. Realize that owning an airplane is not cheap. Depending on the airplane you can spend as low as $100 an hour and up to operate the plane. You will have fixed cost and you will have replacement costs, costs to keep the aircraft airworthy. Those fixed cost mean that the cost to fly per hour goes up if you fly less time.

Flying is expensive, but does it have to be?

On top of all that living in the LA metro area is not cheap, especially if you are just getting to the party. I grew up in Ventura County, a very costly place to live. This is what I know. It is where I have spent my life to date. I love it here. We have three area GA airports. The Pacific is just to the west of us. I see the ocean and the Channel Islands every day. We spend a lot of time on the water. This is our life.

To maintain the simplest lifestyles in the area with a large family my wife and I make six figures. It can take $80,000 to get the same life someone might enjoy in other parts of the USA for much cheaper. Figure on spending $1,200 easy for a small apartment. Figure on paying over $3 a gallon for gas. If you live inland where it is cheaper figure on needing AC. Many places on the coast do not have AC because the temperature averages into the 70's all year. Our electric and heating cost in our 4 bedroom home is less than $100 a month.

If I was planning on learning to fly I would look to maybe Arizona, Florida, New Mexico, Texas as suitable places to learn. I would look for a 8 to 10 member flying club attached to an FBO where you can buy into a small trainer. I would rent a room or the cheapest place I could find. Make sure that I was debt free, then spend my free time at the FBO learning all I could. If you want to live in California then in the LA area I would look Barnes Aviation in the Lancaster area. Cheaper to live and possible aviation employers.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:27 PM

93 posts, read 129,293 times
I like how everyone's discouraging him to make this move. Like don't worry, he won't make a difference in traffic! (your commute).

Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR'Us View Post
I like how everyone's discouraging him to make this move. Like don't worry, he won't make a difference in traffic! (your commute).

Old 01-02-2016, 07:11 AM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Why not join the Air Force and let them help you become a pilot ?
We are generations past a time when US military pilots could be expected to be lost and there was any problem recruiting them. There will be no Richard Gere's Mayo characters actually crying that he has no where else to go needed. With predictions that the last fighter pilot has already been born for someone to make the decision to try to be a military pilot will begin at 17 years of age and will have a cut rate like those wanting medical school.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:08 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,489 times
Training to become a professional pilot costs probably $30-40k (if not more these days.) I'm a licensed pilot myself and know how expensive it is to learn to fly. So that's why I asked the OP how they plan to pay for that, plus afford to live in LA.

I believe the military wants a 10 year commitment for pilots. The clock doesn't start until after you complete basic training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles