Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Not really. There are not that many millionaires that live in downtown. Affluent (young) professionals making six figures, yes. But a large swath of very wealthy, not really. The Residences at the Ritz certainly do serve the upper crust (who probably have a 2nd or 3rd residence there)...but most of the loft/condo/housing stock in DTLA serves a different niche (read: upper middle class).
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Not really. There are not that many millionaires that live in downtown. Affluent (young) professionals making six figures, yes. But a large swath of very wealthy, not really. The Residences at the Ritz certainly do serve the upper crust (who probably have a 2nd or 3rd residence there)...but most of the loft/condo/housing stock in DTLA serves a different niche (read: upper middle class).
Context.

Lol.

Last edited by owl6969; 01-07-2016 at 03:54 AM..

Old 01-16-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
For example, 7th and Figueroa is nice, but you get to 7th and Broadway, which I love, and it looks completely different.
Thats mostly cause its the historic core or like the oldest part of downtown and even all of L.A.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:21 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Thats mostly cause its the historic core or like the oldest part of downtown and even all of L.A.
I know that.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I know that.
.. Just saying.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
So, I've been hearing a lot about Downtown Los Angeles lately. I have to say it's one of the big real estate/ development stories at a national and international level. My question is, is the growth really that fast right now? I heard about some projects like Metropolis, the train direct to S.M. and some projects off Wilshire but all these I hear are super high end. If the downtown core is really growing, wouldn't it be portions for middle class and even eclectic/ entrepreneurial types who bring small business and ideas to add to LA.

So to sum up again:

1. Is Downtown LA growth really that fast right now?
2. With some of the developments, are their portions of the city that are in safe areas that are still "gems"
3. How is the walkability In Downtown, and connecting to other parts of the metro

I've lived in Atlanta my entire life, moved to Miami for 2 yrs after college and am at a point where I want something new, in an environment where it's diverse, international, strong economy, sex appeal and generally warm all year round. Financially I'm ready to take another move and figure why not give LA a try...

Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
^^Downtown has gone from about 25,000 residents not too long ago, to having closer to 80,000 in the coming years. So population growth is exploding, and downtown is extremely walkable (walkscore is at about 95), and unfortunately I don't understand your second question.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:13 AM

925 posts, read 1,065,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I don't understand why you chose not to get out of your car and explore. That's what you have to do. I love living dt. Everything is at your feet. Great dining options, the best cultural amenities, great grocery stores, coffee shops and nightlife. Skid Row is there but I have no reason to venture over there...none. Plus there is so much going on as far as new construction, and more importantly tons of historic buildings being renovated. I still drive but my driving is down about 70%. Sometimes I catch the subway to Hollywood or the light rail to Exposition Park.
Why do people keep thinking you need to drive everywhere in LA. Such a cliche and makes me wonder if they have ever tried public transportation. LA has probably one of the most comprehensive bus networks and a great train system. I choose to live in an area that I can utilize it and not drive everywhere.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Why do people keep thinking you need to drive everywhere in LA. Such a cliche and makes me wonder if they have ever tried public transportation. LA has probably one of the most comprehensive bus networks and a great train system. I choose to live in an area that I can utilize it and not drive everywhere.
Cuz u gonna get raped in DTLA. Duh!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,876 times
It would be Little Tokyo and Olvera Street for me.

Quote:
The nicest area to me starts on Figueroa and Olympic, near L.A. Live and the Staples Center, and continues towards Flower. The thing with Downtown is it has pockets of nicer areas and pockets of dirty and "bad" areas, within close distances of each other. For example, 7th and Figueroa is nice, but you get to 7th and Broadway, which I love, and it looks completely different.
I miss hanging out near 7th & Broadway. Stopped doing so after the arcade over there was shut down in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles