Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I want somebody such as Sheldon Adelson or some other bigshot with more than enough money in their possession to pay for this, rather than yet another sports stadium.
You mean like this?
Homelessness and Family Stability - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
Its not even a matter of public money.
These billionaire investors get so many tax breaks and incentives from the local government, we mine as well be paying for it.
How come no breaks for the middle class?
Well, I believe that income tax is a form of extortion and nobody in the United States should be required to give money to the government.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Well, I believe that income tax is a form of extortion and nobody in the United States should be required to give money to the government.
Article I, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution:
"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense and the general Welfare of the United States."

And the 16th Amendment:
"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Sounds like leaving California is not your issue. Perhaps time for you to leave the USA all together. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has no income tax.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Inglewood is adjacent to L.A., and BTW, whose team would be playing there, the Inglewood Such-and-Such?

And yes, I implied it would be privately funded, which makes me angry because a homeless shelter could instead be privately funded. Take big fat Sheldon Adelson, for instance (worth $28.9 billion); why could he not build it? Other than coronary bypasses, for what does that big fat slob need his billions of dollars? If he spent a billion dollars on housing the homeless and so his net worth dropped to $27.9 billion, would he miss it?
The one detail about someone else's money is it is their choice how to spend it not yours and I would venture to guess *that big fat slob* (as you wrote it) will spend his money without a thought as so what you think and I would also guess that he knows how to spell *America*

Old 01-07-2016, 07:13 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The one detail about someone else's money is it is their choice how to spend it not yours and I would venture to guess *that big fat slob* (as you wrote it) will spend his money without a thought as so what you think and I would also guess that he knows how to spell *America*
Don't you know it's always easier to spend someone else's money? It's not like we live in a free society or something...

Old 01-08-2016, 07:08 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
It's all about the trickle down effect of other people's discretionary spending and sports arenas are a great place to do that.

The effects of all those people going there and spending liberally will be a boost to the local economy as beer is the lubricant to loosen people's pocketbooks.

The homeless really don't have much to say about other people's money other then that it should be spent on them.

Our society is slowly evolving to accommodate and absorb the homeless into it but it will probably take a spiritualistic philantropist with excess money to help finance it as our government is too incompetent to do it.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:30 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,603 times
IF football comes here, the stadiums will be built with at least some taxpayer money. I guarantee it.
The team owners know that there are cities that would pay to have football. Why do you think they're looking at Carson and Inglewood but not the actual city of LA? Carson and Inglewood are 1000times more corrupt and it will be easier to steal the taxpayer money there.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:34 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
IF football comes here, the stadiums will be built with at least some taxpayer money. I guarantee it.
The team owners know that there are cities that would pay to have football. Why do you think they're looking at Carson and Inglewood but not the actual city of LA? Carson and Inglewood are 1000times more corrupt and it will be easier to steal the taxpayer money there.

The only thing the cities will be paying for are the infrastructure surrounding the stadium, which should be paid by the city anyway. It's a win-win situation for everyone. Especially for Inglewood or Carson which will see huge benefits. Inglewood will continue to improve and be cleaned up at a much faster rate and Carson can potentially get rid of a former landfill.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
The only thing the cities will be paying for are the infrastructure surrounding the stadium,
You're dreaming. The cities are run by dumb corrupt politicians. The team owners are smart and corrupt.
The cities will be providing some(if not all) the funding to build the stadiums.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
You're dreaming. The cities are run by dumb corrupt politicians. The team owners are smart and corrupt.
The cities will be providing some(if not all) the funding to build the stadiums.
No, they have not agreed to do that nor will they do it in fact.

Some tax rebates have been discussed but not the actual cost to build which will be funded privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles