Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 01:14 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,657,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think this is a good deal for the Chargers...much better stadium, (eventually), and much better revenue.
And much better location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 01:24 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,758,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
And much better location
I love San Diego, but you said it. And I won't deny it.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,364,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The Rams will likely be joined by the Chargers and both will take possession of the new stadium in Inglewood. And we can probably credit the Clippers for this, as they have proven to be the model of an imported team that has become the headliner. Who knows, the Chargers could do the same.
The Clippers will never be the headliners. Even now, the Lakers pull in better ratings despite the fact that they're one of the worst teams in the NBA and the Clippers are one of the best. Yes, the Lakers have the star power of an aging Kobe Bryant, but the Clippers have two marketable stars of their own, and they're in their primes.

It's going to take a lot more than four pretty good seasons to remove the stench of Donald Sterling and take over LA.

I'd go with the Los Angeles Raiders as the model imported team--they definitely felt like the "A team" when the two teams left in 1995. The Rams alienated a lot of fans by moving to OC, opening the door for the Raiders (with their rich history) to take over LA County. The Chargers face a much tougher road if they want to win over LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
You sure about this?

Chargers to begin negotiating deal with Rams on Monday - The Orange County Register

I would be shocked if the Chargers didn't begin the 2016 season representing Los Angeles.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,383,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
What do you mean what would be the motivation? Fandom doesn't just go away. When I was in New York, I saw plenty of Brooklyn Dodgers merch.
Why the hell would you root for a team that moves to STL?

I grew up in NY and I've never seen Brooklyn Dodgers gear being worn. Not even once in my life actually.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 01-17-2016 at 08:52 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's safe to say that a large number of Brooklyn Dodgers fans remained loyal despite the move--can't imagine many of them had the stomach to root for the hated Yankees. The ones who did make the switch would probably get the bandwagon label from these super hardcore passionate EC transplants .
I'm not an east coast transplant. All I'm here to figure out is how all of a sudden people change up their loyalties because a team that told them to f off is back in town. It doesn't make any sense. 20 years is a long time. There are 2 generations who didn't grow up with the Rams. Becoming a diehard fan doesn't happen overnight but I'm 100% sure Rams fans will be talking all kinds of garbage on day 1.

Quote:
Incidentally, all those Brooklyn Nets fans who show up to the games must be from the flaky West Coast--super hardcore, passionate EC fans only root for teams their great grandpappies grew up with.
The Nets still serve the metropolitan area that NJ Nets fans live in.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 01-17-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 10:30 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,778,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Why the hell would you root for a team that moves to STL?

I grew up in NY and I've never seen Brooklyn Dodgers gear being worn. Not even once in my life actually.
Who said anything about rooting for the St. Louis Rams? I've said some Angelenos still admire the LOS ANGELES Rams. I said nothing about St. Louis. I've seen people in LOS ANGELES Rams gear and colors, even though they left long ago. They're back now and the fans are celebrating. If the Dodgers or the Lakers were to relocate, I wouldn't root for their new location, but I would still walk around in LOS ANGELES Dodgers and LOS ANGELES Lakers gear because I would still admire that time in which they were in L.A. I love both teams, and the way I feel towards them wouldn't just disintegrate. Angelenos would still walk around in blue and white and purple and gold if either teams were to relocate.

Not sure why I'm going back and forth with you. I've seen posts of dislike towards Los Angeles coming from you in the General U.S. forum. Not sure why you have this odd obsession with Los Angeles. Most recently you made an ignorant comment about Angeleno sports fans, and it's obvious you sought out this thread just to troll and start mess, so I'm done talking to you. Good day.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,657,655 times
Quote:
I would be shocked if the Chargers didn't begin the 2016 season representing Los Angeles.
The Raiders prefer to move more than the Chargers do right now.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Who said anything about rooting for the St. Louis Rams? I've said some Angelenos still admire the LOS ANGELES Rams. I said nothing about St. Louis. I've seen people in LOS ANGELES Rams gear and colors, even though they left long ago. They're back now and the fans are celebrating. If the Dodgers or the Lakers were to relocate, I wouldn't root for their new location, but I would still walk around in LOS ANGELES Dodgers and LOS ANGELES Lakers gear because I would still admire that time in which they were in L.A. I love both teams, and the way I feel towards them wouldn't just disintegrate. Angelenos would still walk around in blue and white and purple and gold if either teams were to relocate.

Not sure why I'm going back and forth with you. I've seen posts of dislike towards Los Angeles coming from you in the General U.S. forum. Not sure why you have this odd obsession with Los Angeles. Most recently you made an ignorant comment about Angeleno sports fans, and it's obvious you sought out this thread just to troll and start mess, so I'm done talking to you. Good day.
Yes I've bashed LA. But seeing as NY is kind of a cesspool I've bashed NY enough to make it a point that I'm not too much of a homer.

Now I would admire the players who played for my team, not the team itself. But that's not the question. I'm trying to figure out what LA fans did with themselves for the last 21 years. Who did the younger generation root for, and how can they suddenly switch their favorite team to the Rams? It mainly appears to be more a form of civic pride rather than diehard fanhood taking shape simply because I can't grasp how a diehard fan can all of a sudden become an LA Rams fan. A diehard fan would've had to have a team before this move. However a diehard fan is locked in and can't suddenly change over from the Raiders or Chargers to the Rams.

For instance if I was from DC I would still be an Orioles fan. Not a Nationals fan.

Fox Unable to Find Much of a Downside to Rams' Departure - latimes

Last edited by joeyg2014; 01-17-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 01:16 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,364,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I'm not an east coast transplant. All I'm here to figure out is how all of a sudden people change up their loyalties because a team that told them to f off is back in town. It doesn't make any sense. 20 years is a long time. There are 2 generations who didn't grow up with the Rams. Becoming a diehard fan doesn't happen overnight but I'm 100% sure Rams fans will be talking all kinds of garbage on day 1.

The Nets still serve the metropolitan area that NJ Nets fans live in.
If the Dodgers returned to Brooklyn tomorrow, in a shiny new baseball stadium where Ebbets Field once stood, they'd sell out every single game. Dodgers merch would flood stores, and it would be the biggest sports story in New Yawk in decades. Yes, despite the fact that the Dodgers told BK to go f itself all those years ago. Don't even kid yourself thinking none of this would happen.

Are we done pretending EC fans are super passionate and hardcore? Because your questions are getting old.

Your rationalization for the Nets is laughable--NY and NJ can't stand each other, their hatred runs deeper than LA/OC. This idea that they're a happily united MSA is a city-data myth. I'm sure many Nets fans would have preferred the team relocate anywhere but NYC. And how many Nets fans existed in Brooklyn before the move anyway? Not very many. Safe to say most of them are new fans, which teams generally attract in droves when they relocate.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
If the Dodgers returned to Brooklyn tomorrow, in a shiny new baseball stadium where Ebbets Field once stood, they'd sell out every single game. Dodgers merch would flood stores, and it would be the biggest sports story in New Yawk in decades. Yes, despite the fact that the Dodgers told BK to go f itself all those years ago. Don't even kid yourself that none of those would happen.

Your rationalization for the Nets is laughable--NY and NJ can't stand each other, their hatred runs deeper than LA/OC. This idea that they're a happily united MSA is a city-data myth. I'm sure many Nets fans would have preferred the team relocate anywhere but NYC. And how many Nets fans existed in Brooklyn before the move anyway? Not very many. Safe to say most of them are new fans, which teams generally attract in droves when they relocate.
If the Dodgers moved to Brooklyn, no diehard Yankee or Met fan would become a Dodger fan. Period. NY already has 2 MLB teams. A third would run almost entirely off its brand name selling "Brooklyn" clothes to swag boys. This is what LA Rams fans are going to be like.

The NY/NJ rivalry is nonexistent in the real world. It doesn't hold fanhood or families back or you wouldn't see NY license plates all over the Meadowlands every Sunday.

The Nets are a weak analogy. The Nets moved within an MSA. So did the Jets and Giants who moved from NYC to Jersey.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 01-17-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles