Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 730 times

Advertisements

Hi I just wanted to find out as I've been on the DMV and actually sat at the local one here in PA for 3 hours to ask questions about changing my PA license to a Cali license.
Unfortunately the woman was lets say less than helpful and it was a waste of my time
So after reading the various pages online, I still haven't quite found the answer so HELP please!

When I moved to PA on my Ontario drivers license they did a straight swap over with out any test except a vision test. So now I'm moving to California I wanted to find out if it will be a clean swap of a PA license to a CA license or if I will need to sit a road and or classroom test.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
When I moved to CA 10 years ago I had to take the written test to get a CA license

Old 03-17-2016, 11:42 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,766 times
I moved to CA 4 years ago and had to take the written test also.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 AM

126 posts, read 117,405 times
I've moved in and out of California on three different occasions and if you have a valid license from another state, all you need to do is take the written test as others have said.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,937 times
Same here. I moved from IL with a valid license I had to take the written test. It was quite a nail biter waiting 45 minutes to hear if I passed. On the plus side, I haven't had to go back to the DMV in the 10 years since.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:51 PM

781 posts, read 744,613 times
Yep, they still require the awful written test. Most other states don't though!

If you are from another country, they make you take the written test AND road test.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Same here. I moved from IL with a valid license I had to take the written test. It was quite a nail biter waiting 45 minutes to hear if I passed. On the plus side, I haven't had to go back to the DMV in the 10 years since.
This sounds awful. Luckily, it's computerized these days, so you find out the results ASAP.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:06 AM

108 posts, read 118,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMalone77 View Post
Hi I just wanted to find out as I've been on the DMV and actually sat at the local one here in PA for 3 hours to ask questions about changing my PA license to a Cali license.
Unfortunately the woman was lets say less than helpful and it was a waste of my time
So after reading the various pages online, I still haven't quite found the answer so HELP please!

When I moved to PA on my Ontario drivers license they did a straight swap over with out any test except a vision test. So now I'm moving to California I wanted to find out if it will be a clean swap of a PA license to a CA license or if I will need to sit a road and or classroom test.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
I had to take a test. I hadnt taken a test in 30 years. It sucked. I failed by 2 questions and had to do it again. I disagreed with the ones I got wrong, so study

Old 03-18-2016, 11:39 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
I had to take a test. I hadnt taken a test in 30 years. It sucked. I failed by 2 questions and had to do it again. I disagreed with the ones I got wrong, so study
Same with me. For me it had been about 20 years and I firmly believe some of the laws are different between CA and MA where I came from. But I retook the same day and it only took about an hour of study to pass. So go to DMV website and get the study guides and study before

Old 03-18-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Same with me. For me it had been about 20 years and I firmly believe some of the laws are different between CA and MA where I came from. But I retook the same day and it only took about an hour of study to pass. So go to DMV website and get the study guides and study before
Good point! There are also practice tests online (on the DMV website), I did some of those before going to DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: