Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 04:13 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Wow. Factoring in those numbers that puts NYC a notch above LA in terms of livability. It doesn't have the quality of life LA can offer but the trade off is you don't deal with some of the unique headaches of making it in LA.

What I mean by unique is:
A buddy of mine gave me a tour of where he works which is a call center. Granted I figured it would have all the trappings of a typical call center with high turnover and lack of full time hours. But what I didn't expect was that the actual management staff also fall into the same trappings. The business is mostly staffed with part time help. They look for people with flexible schedules, the pay is low and they don't offer much advancement. Lots of housewives looking for part time work and IT guys with side jobs. This was my first introduction to California small businesses. I see that many just skimp by trying to maneuver all the regulations to their liking. Part time work is such the norm in this city and I've met so many people who work the ODDEST of jobs. There are people working these really unorthodox jobs, with odd hours, and they adapt their lifestyle to their work. I've met people commuting from Koreatown to Woodland Hills, no car. All Red line and buses. I am not saying everyone does this, far from it. But I've never been in a city where there is this underclass of people just scrounging by under the margins of society like this. Where I came from even the most criminally inclined dunderhead had a full time real job in something like manufacturing, construction or some other trade.
to be fair you've been in LA long enough to see the warts. It's more acute to you cause you live here, but I guarantee if you lived in another big city--Houston included-- you would realize every city is messed up. It's just a matter of how big your house/apt is lol.

I think we need to realize the USA is one big F-uped place where some of us think we are better than others since we have ours. It's becoming more apparent to me the more cities I live in. We are all basically f- in one way or another but we like to smile behind our possessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
to be fair you've been in LA long enough to see the warts. It's more acute to you cause you live here, but I guarantee if you lived in another big city--Houston included-- you would realize every city is messed up. It's just a matter of how big your house/apt is lol.

I think we need to realize the USA is one big F-uped place where some of us think we are better than others since we have ours. It's becoming more apparent to me the more cities I live in. We are all basically f- in one way or another but we like to smile behind our possessions.
Ill rep this. Yes that is true. It's just because LA is much bigger, the problems are much larger. I wasn't trying to say that LA is the only city going through this but that it's problems are a bit more unique and more exasperated. It just seems like a city that had this grand vision of creating something different and for a long while it was but then the economic realities started unraveling that vision and you're left with the vestiges of what was something grand. I still see the grandness and even on such a downswing it's still better than other cities on an upswing but there are added headaches I have yet to see people go through in more practical cities.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Ill rep this. Yes that is true. It's just because LA is much bigger, the problems are much larger. I wasn't trying to say that LA is the only city going through this but that it's problems are a bit more unique and more exasperated. It just seems like a city that had this grand vision of creating something different and for a long while it was but then the economic realities started unraveling that vision and you're left with the vestiges of what was something grand. I still see the grandness and even on such a downswing it's still better than other cities on an upswing but there are added headaches I have yet to see people go through in more practical cities.
ummmm...... no. stuff was a lot worse in the past lol? it gets lost on people that NAFTA and globalization really messed up a lot of places that where manufacturing was a big part of the economy. Some think its better where they live cause they have more people of their race or more relaxed places to drink or party lol.

NO!

Its messed up cause we as Americans have allowed us too. Its not just Democrips and Rebloodicans LOL. We're fighting ourselves and don't realize the pain. The voice is called $$$$$$. Nothing will change and if you think mid sized cities are safe than you are in for a rude awakening. lol
Quote:

I still see the grandness and even on such a downswing it's still better than other cities on an upswing but there are added headaches I have yet to see people go through in more practical cities.
What cities are you talking about? My cousin just moved from Portland to North Carolina because its getting too expensive in OR with the amount of CA natives buying over prices real estate.

My brother in Houston can't find a job with two STEM degrees because they are cutting jobs out the a-hole.

Capitalism 101.... its in the first couple chapters.

Last edited by jamills21; 02-05-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
ummmm...... no. stuff was a lot worse in the past lol? it gets lost on people that NAFTA and globalization really messed up a lot of places that where manufacturing was a big part of the economy. Some think its better where they live cause they have more people of their race or more relaxed places to drink or party lol.

NO!

Its messed up cause we as Americans have allowed us too. Its not just Democrips and Rebloodicans LOL. We're fighting ourselves and don't realize the pain. The voice is called $$$$$$. Nothing will change and if you think mid sized cities are safe than you are in for a rude awakening. lol

What cities are you talking about? My cousin just moved from Portland to North Carolina because its getting to expensive in OR with the amount of CA natives buying over prices real estate.

My brother in Houston can't find a job with two STEM degrees because they are cutting jobs out the a-hole.

Capitalism 101.... its in the first couple chapters.
I think you misread what I said. I was saying that I could tell that California in general was trying to create a sort of progressive state equipped with many social programs and had this vision that it was going to turn the state into something akin to Western Europe. By comparison to say Nevada, yeah it is. But the recession really hurt it. Yes, NAFTA too. All those things. For a while CA seemed bloated, broke, and overly regulated. I came here an idealistic liberal but am more open to the idea that government can muck things up just as bad as I think big companies run TX.

And tell your brother to head up to Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin. Those cities are booming and have much more diverse economies. San Antonio, I believe is in the top five for diverse economies. Just because Midland and Houston went bust it doesn't mean all of Texas did.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I think you misread what I said. I was saying that I could tell that California in general was trying to create a sort of progressive state equipped with many social programs and had this vision that it was going to turn the state into something akin to Western Europe. By comparison to say Nevada, yeah it is. But the recession really hurt it. Yes, NAFTA too. All those things. For a while CA seemed bloated, broke, and overly regulated. I came here an idealistic liberal but am more open to the idea that government can muck things up just as bad as I think big companies run TX.

And tell your brother to head up to Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin. Those cities are booming and have much more diverse economies. San Antonio, I believe is in the top five for diverse economies. Just because Midland and Houston went bust it doesn't mean all of Texas did.
i get what your saying but these are real systemic problems on main street in America that we just gloss over because some of us are doing better than others but don't care about our fellow man.

Quote:
And tell your brother to head up to Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin. Those cities are booming and have much more diverse economies.
My brother didn't move to texas for low real estate prices or the economy but that is the reality he's living in. His significant other is the reason so they can't just move just because it might be marginally better in another city in TX.....

Remember this when your son or daughter is trying to find something near where you bought property.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
i get what your saying but these are real systemic problems on main street in America that we just gloss over because some of us are doing better than others but don't care about our fellow man.

My brother didn't move to texas for low real estate prices or the economy but that is the reality he's living in. His significant other is the reason so they can't just move just because it might be marginally better in another city.....
Of course the issues are systemic. I was just talking about the local economy in each state. I actually defended LA from the attacks that it was a bloated mess that proved its economic model didn't work and Texas was the new model. LA is now reaping some of the benefits for holding on and it's growing again. Houston and Midland are feeling the burst of the oil commodities bubble that happened after the real estate crash.
And Houston is diversified enough to where your brother will bounce back. It's not over for him even though the picture looks grim now. And those other cities I mentioned are not doing just "marginally better" they're outpacing the national average for job growth and creation. The Texas economy is still pretty resilient to oil busts and recessions. At least much more so than the 80s.
Overall, I agree that nationally, we were thrown overboard by corporate America and Washington 40 years ago.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Of course the issues are systemic. I was just talking about the local economy in each state. I actually defended LA from the attacks that it was a bloated mess that proved its economic model didn't work and Texas was the new model. LA is now reaping some of the benefits for holding on and it's growing again. Houston and Midland are feeling the burst of the oil commodities bubble that happened after the real estate crash.
And Houston is diversified enough to where your brother will bounce back. It's not over for him even though the picture looks grim now. And those other cities I mentioned are not doing just "marginally better" they're outpacing the national average for job growth and creation. The Texas economy is still pretty resilient to oil busts and recessions. At least much more so than the 80s.
Overall, I agree that nationally, we were thrown overboard by corporate America and Washington 40 years ago.
Well, he can't move...so, he's stuck with Houston. But I swear if the amount of job loses in Houston were happening in LA it would make for much news but I haven't heard a peep from outside sources. They say the job loses are being slowed down by construction but lets not act like O&G and construction have the same type of jobs for white collar workers.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Well, he can't move...so, he's stuck with Houston. But I swear if the amount of job loses in Houston were happening in LA it would make for much news but I haven't heard a peep from outside sources. They say the job loses are being slowed down by construction but lets not act like O&G and construction have the same type of jobs for white collar workers.
They did report on it. The whole state was freaking out once oil prices hit 70 bucks a barrel. Plus I don't think Houston, due to it's diversified economy, will ever top LA's peak at 13% unemployment during the recession. That's headline news. A bust in oil and the resulting job losses have pricked the Texas "Miracle" but the state as a whole is still booming, just not in Houston or Midland. Construction doesn't even begin to compete O&E I agree but it's better than nothing.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
They did report on it. The whole state was freaking out once oil prices hit 70 bucks a barrel. Plus I don't think Houston, due to it's diversified economy, will ever top LA's peak at 13% unemployment during the recession. That's headline news. A bust in oil and the resulting job losses have pricked the Texas "Miracle" but the state as a whole is still booming, just not in Houston or Midland. Construction doesn't even begin to compete O&E I agree but it's better than nothing.

are you telling me BP cutting 4,000 jobs isn't headline news? Any city losing that many jobs is crazy I don't care how well the state is doing.

or
Quote:
Businesses announced more than 75,000 job cuts in January, an increase of 218% from the same month last year. Energy and retail employers led the increase, reporting plans to cut more than 40,000 jobs between the two sectors. Disappointing earnings have led a number of notable companies, namely Yahoo, to lay off large portions of their workforces... - See more at: Job cuts up 218% in January | The Paper Magazine -Covering The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe & North Houston Areas
Job cuts up 218% in January | The Paper Magazine -Covering The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe & North Houston Areas

I'm sue your going to tell me its only Houston but damn..., now your proving my original point.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
are you telling me BP cutting 4,000 jobs isn't headline news? Any city losing that many jobs is crazy I don't care how well the state is doing.

or

Job cuts up 218% in January | The Paper Magazine -Covering The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe & North Houston Areas
Hey I am not denying that it should be more big news just that it isn't quite on the scale as the entire state of CA descending into an utterly broke state like the media portrayed. Hell yeah the losses in Houston should be more big news but my guess is that they're waiting to see the overall ripple effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles