Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times

Advertisements

I've seen post after post from people wanting to move to LA area because they fell in love with it on their vacation. I am moving to LA area due to a great job opportunity for hubby but I feel so negative about the move. I found house hunting to be the most depressing thing I've done in a long time.

Can someone please help me fall in love with LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,915 times
Do it you're not white. If you are white you will hate it.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I've seen post after post from people wanting to move to LA area because they fell in love with it on their vacation. I am moving to LA area due to a great job opportunity for hubby but I feel so negative about the move. I found house hunting to be the most depressing thing I've done in a long time.

It's going to take time obviously but move as close to your job as possible. That is a good start to being happy.

Also, your from the NorCal Your pre-disposed to hating LA. It's a bias that is lost on a lot of people from up north. So try not to compare every little thing that's different or it will drive you nuts.

Be adventurous, the more you TRY to do things that are outside your comfort zone-- and it will happen in LA-- than the better off you'll be IMO.

If you have any questions about things to do, places to go & eat. You can just ask this forum.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:02 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:

Does this help?

The area on the left is PV
Attached Thumbnails
Falling in love with LA-img_3911.jpg  

Old 01-28-2016, 08:15 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
We can't help you "fall in love" with Los Angeles. That should come naturally.

I've noticed a lot of people wanting to move here after one, short vacation as well. Not a good idea, in my opinion.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytriller View Post
Do it you're not white. If you are white you will hate it.

Go away troll...

Old 01-28-2016, 09:32 AM

329 posts, read 627,624 times
Easy to fall in love with LA if you don't live here but once you are here you will gain a different perspective as a resident. If you are wealthy and do not need to commute LA will be awesome, for majority of others not so much

Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
I think for LA you have to buy into it as a wonderful jumbled mess. If you can get a nice modest place that you can enjoy the weather and outdoor space, have a good job (not struggle), and be able to explore the endless variety of cultural sights, beaches, food etc. I think you can certainly learn to love it. Its all attitude at that point..

Old 01-28-2016, 10:05 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
It's going to take time obviously but move as close to your job as possible. That is a good start to being happy.

Also, your from the NorCal Your pre-disposed to hating LA. It's a bias that is lost on a lot of people from up north. So try not to compare every little thing that's different or it will drive you nuts.

Be adventurous, the more you TRY to do things that are outside your comfort zone-- and it will happen in LA-- than the better off you'll be IMO.

If you have any questions about things to do, places to go & eat. You can just ask this forum.
Distance from job is the first thing I am unhappy about. The closest places are bad areas the next closest are too expensive so we are looking at 20-25 mi away.

I don't hate LA I hate the cost of housing in LA. I've had to downgrade my expectations of the type of house I am willing to consider. Never before had I considered living in a townhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Does this help?

The area on the left is PV
PV is very expensive so I won't be able to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
We can't help you "fall in love" with Los Angeles. That should come naturally.

I've noticed a lot of people wanting to move here after one, short vacation as well. Not a good idea, in my opinion.
I don't get it either. I visited LA as a tourist but I never wanted to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I think for LA you have to buy into it as a wonderful jumbled mess. If you can get a nice modest place that you can enjoy the weather and outdoor space, have a good job (not struggle), and be able to explore the endless variety of cultural sights, beaches, food etc. I think you can certainly learn to love it. Its all attitude at that point..
Can you point me to some of the cultural sites to visit? Maybe on my next trip I'll go to some of them.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:

Can you point me to some of the cultural sites to visit? Maybe on my next trip I'll go to some of them.
What do you like to do up north? Gotta narrow it down somewhat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles