Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
So what?

I mean, c'mon, it's trash. It's not like she's stealing stuff from you. You're throwing it out.

I don't get what the problem is.

If one of my neighbors wanted to use my trash can, I don't care, as long as it all gets tossed on trash day.

She wasn't just walking by and threw something in the can, she was taking the can away and moving it away from the OP's property, she was in reality stealing the trash can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:13 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
She wasn't just walking by and threw something in the can, she was taking the can away and moving it away from the OP's property, she was in reality stealing the trash can.
Yeah and she's like 3 doors down too, just the idea of dragging someone elses trash can from down the block and then putting your crap in it.

I guess I just don't get that mentality...

Kind of makes me wonder if it's the first time. Hopefully it will be the last , and she won't be stupid enough to do it again.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:25 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In L.A , on my LADWP bill I pay quite a high fee for trash pickup. It's about $90 per bill last time I checked..it doesn't matter if you throw one bag away or fill up the bin...of course it's more for other extra bins.

That's the thing, I could of put my trash can out and then had more stuff I wanted to throw out..but then I wouldn't be able to because my bin was stolen.
It's just really inconsiderate.
Here they have 3 sizes. The bigger the bin the more you pay.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Happened to be home now and it's trash day.
I hear what sounded like a trash can moving.
I went out and saw someone dragging one. So I went down the alley a few minutes later and I see a neighbor rolling out a black trash can.
They are 2 or 3 houses down and don't know them.
I say "someone took my trash can, do you happen to know who it is?"..
She bull****s me , then admits it. I'm pretty pissed. I tell her I pay a lot for trash as she knows. She says ,"Sorry sir..I won't do it again" ..UGH.

I saw she had a bunch of broken tile or something in it.

I know it's not the worst thing obviously..but very annoying. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Sad when you can't even trust neighbors..
Years from now you will probably tell the story while you laugh, but, it isn't funny now. And to think the city just blew it off? I guess they do have more important things on their mind, but what kind of a neighbor would do something like that? Obviously the same neighbor that would watch you drop a $20 bill, pick it up and stick it in their pocket rather than tell you, you dropped it.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:10 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
My neighbors and it family are pretty close, and tend to borrow each other's trash cans, when needed. That said, I'd be annoyed as well if a neighbor I wasn't really cool with took one of my cans.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Not to poke fun, but come on.
#FirstWorldProblems
More accurately, it's #FirstWorldProblems found in areas that are overrun with #ThirdWorldProblems. I experienced this very thing a lot in LA and elsewhere, and it is burdensome and expensive to remedy.

One solution I can offer is spray painting the bin in such a way that it becomes difficult for anyone to take it. And in so doing, we are forced to come ever closer to living in a place that looks like a Favela.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Years from now you will probably tell the story while you laugh, but, it isn't funny now. And to think the city just blew it off? I guess they do have more important things on their mind, but what kind of a neighbor would do something like that? Obviously the same neighbor that would watch you drop a $20 bill, pick it up and stick it in their pocket rather than tell you, you dropped it.
Yeah that's the thing that's annoying about it. No consequences from the city.
People don't really care unless they actually have to pay for something. I'd think she would be embarrassed enough to not do it again to me at least...but it's hard to say. Some people don't have any shame.

I know for sure I wouldn't trust her because she straight up lied about taking it at first. I'm glad it's not a next door neighbor, I think i'd feel even more annoyed.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
More accurately, it's #FirstWorldProblems found in areas that are overrun with #ThirdWorldProblems. I experienced this very thing a lot in LA and elsewhere, and it is burdensome and expensive to remedy.

One solution I can offer is spray painting the bin in such a way that it becomes difficult for anyone to take it. And in so doing, we are forced to come ever closer to living in a place that looks like a Favela.
Yeah that's the sad thing about many parts of L.A
Also this lady is in her late 40s or early 50s...should know better..

The city just doesn't seem to care.
There is a lot I like about L.A, but the apathetic attitude from the city and the way some of the residents behave is a real turn off.

Overall the O.C and other counties do seem more pleasant and livable or 'kept up'

I know a lot of people do spray paint their numbers on their bins, I wanted to avoid doing that because I don't think it looks that nice. I guess i'll have to resort to doing something like that to possibly avoid the same thing happening.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Here they have 3 sizes. The bigger the bin the more you pay.
Not here. But I wish the neighbors can share a big bin and share the cost.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
OK, So I do this all the time and don't have a problem with it. It is in a little baggy. Then again these are not people that would store it in the garage. Then again I always wondered why anyone would store the garbage cans in a room designed for cars.
In order to keep freeloaders from taking up their garbage space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles