Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:49 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordinsolus View Post
the people who have never even been to los angeles always seem to the have the strongest opinions about it. Ignore those people. They're ignorant.
ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Pianist View Post
Yeah...I doubt it. I am pretty damn good, no offense.

Are you really looking for advise or just encouragement, saying you are making the right decision? Do you have at least 6 or 8 thousand bucks stashed away to see you through? That is a minimum you will need unless you get a decent job the first month. Are you prepared for the col?

L.A. is a great place in many ways, it is also, a dog eat dog place, especially if you are thinking the music industry. You seem to think you are the best, that is a good start. People have to have faith in themselves, but remember there are a lot of talented people in Los Angeles, who have almost starved to death and ended up on the streets. I grew up there, still have a lot of family there, but most have left or died. When we visit we find people to be pretty much like people everywhere. Some are friendly, some jerks.

If you have the funds, have visited Los Angeles and know what it is really like, it is your choice not your parents. Just remember it will be far from the world of wine and roses.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:41 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Speaking of 1970's piano lounge music, Billy Joel (before he was famous) did a stint in LA and penned his "Piano Man" when he regularly played a piano lounge near Wilshire and Western in the 70's.
Yes! //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-la-story.html

Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you really looking for advise or just encouragement, saying you are making the right decision? Do you have at least 6 or 8 thousand bucks stashed away to see you through? That is a minimum you will need unless you get a decent job the first month. Are you prepared for the col?

L.A. is a great place in many ways, it is also, a dog eat dog place, especially if you are thinking the music industry. You seem to think you are the best, that is a good start. People have to have faith in themselves, but remember there are a lot of talented people in Los Angeles, who have almost starved to death and ended up on the streets. I grew up there, still have a lot of family there, but most have left or died. When we visit we find people to be pretty much like people everywhere. Some are friendly, some jerks.

If you have the funds, have visited Los Angeles and know what it is really like, it is your choice not your parents. Just remember it will be far from the world of wine and roses.
All reasonable advice. I also grew up in Boston and lived in DC and the Bay Area and spent extended amounts of time in many other parts of the country and Canada and traveled a lot internationally. Some people on this forum have a grand illusion that people in LA are nicer than in the north east and other places. There are plenty of jerks here and nice people just like Boston and New York and DC and every place I've been. I work in the entertainment industry and I can tell you that world certainly attracts a lot of jerks. My wife used to work for LAPD and believe it or not there are a lot of jerks and plain evil people there haha. The one thing I'll tell you compared to New England is the weather is better, traffic is worse and housing is more expensive. Don't expect life altering changes beyond that

Old 02-13-2016, 08:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
I don't think it's any revelation that people in entertainment and cops can easily be jerks. Hollywood has a tendency to attract a lot of narcissists. But I was just surprised by the good amount of natives to be generally friendly. They're not as friendly as in the Midwest or south but certainly friendlier than northeasterners. The sheer amount of transplants though skews those numbers and you're right that you're going to bump into a big mix especially in town. But I've usually stayed in the Valley or out east like DTLA so I mostly meet natives and they tend to be more laid back. I still stick by what I said that the higher in income you go the more jerks you'd find or if you surround yourself with people trying to break into the industry or are in the industry. I think those two groups tend to have more A type entitled people with big egos.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I don't think it's any revelation that people in entertainment and cops can easily be jerks. Hollywood has a tendency to attract a lot of narcissists. But I was just surprised by the good amount of natives to be generally friendly. They're not as friendly as in the Midwest or south but certainly friendlier than northeasterners. The sheer amount of transplants though skews those numbers and you're right that you're going to bump into a big mix especially in town. But I've usually stayed in the Valley or out east like DTLA so I mostly meet natives and they tend to be more laid back. I still stick by what I said that the higher in income you go the more jerks you'd find or if you surround yourself with people trying to break into the industry or are in the industry. I think those two groups tend to have more A type entitled people with big egos.
Again it's opinion and perception. Growing up in the north east there were plenty of friendly people but at the same time I can see how people who are not native would perceive people to be rude or unfriendly even when it's not the case.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Again it's opinion and perception. Growing up in the north east there were plenty of friendly people but at the same time I can see how people who are not native would perceive people to be rude or unfriendly even when it's not the case.
While I was in Boston I gathered that the people were just rude or perceived as rude on first impression. The relations between strangers seems to be where the disconnect lied because once you get to know northeastern people they get friendlier and can have a great sense of humor. I would love to hang out with an Artie Lange type of guy at the bar. But upon first impressions people get an almost anti social vibe from northeasterners because they're not as open to strangers which is understandable.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:39 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Pianist View Post
They don't control me, just a question of finances. I do have 3 degrees in addition to my talent.

I'll make it happen! And soon!

I actually don't need this to be a long thread, just wanted to make sure you all are as welcoming as I heard. You are

Best wishes,
Joe
If you have three degrees then you should be able to find a job before getting there.

I don't even have my bachelors yet and was able to find one through a temp agency. I applied there using my cousins' address. They called me in for an interview so I flew down. Did well on that and their easy tests they give you. Flew back home and kept declining jobs if I didn't like them. These were mostly ones that were just a couple weeks long, had weird hours, or low pay. After about three weeks, they gave me one I liked with normal business hours and good pay, so I drove down packed. Company bought me from the agency and I want to go to UCLA in Fall 2017.

Also, I was able to transfer the retail job I had back home out here so I work there a few nights a week to get some extra pay for now as I move into my own place.

So just apply at different companies and temp agencies because during this time other companies called me in for interviews while I was down here but the temp job was as good as them. All you would need is an address so get a mailbox (not PO box) if you don't know anyone.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:59 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
All reasonable advice. I also grew up in Boston and lived in DC and the Bay Area and spent extended amounts of time in many other parts of the country and Canada and traveled a lot internationally. Some people on this forum have a grand illusion that people in LA are nicer than in the north east and other places. There are plenty of jerks here and nice people just like Boston and New York and DC and every place I've been. I work in the entertainment industry and I can tell you that world certainly attracts a lot of jerks. My wife used to work for LAPD and believe it or not there are a lot of jerks and plain evil people there haha. The one thing I'll tell you compared to New England is the weather is better, traffic is worse and housing is more expensive. Don't expect life altering changes beyond that
I was born in NYC and grew up on Long Island, it's not a "grand illusion", I visited in Oct 2014 and there is a huge difference in how people interact in the Northeast compared to Southern CA.

I did go into Manhattan(first time in years) and I needed help with directions. People once they realized you needed directions were more than helpful.

But for example you would never say hello to someone on suburban street(like you do here), people don't do that there. And the horns in the parking lots, even on a Saturday.

People are more abrupt and rushed there, it's a fact. And tailgating! Every once in awhile you get one here, but for the most part people know to keep some distance, I pulled off the road twice in NJ to let people go ahead, doing 10 mph over the speed limit and they're still on your a**.

It's Glendale, everywhere.....LOL.

I think the weather comes into play, when you have bitter cold weather and hot humid summers, people are cranky.

But it's not an illusion, not saying there aren't jerks here, but it's a very noticeable difference on a daily basis how people act.

When visiting I even commented to my cousin on how rude people for the most part were(this was in NJ), her reply was "well a lot of these people have stressful jobs in NYC", so that means you have to be rude in Shop Rite in suburban NJ on a Saturday?

You can't help but notice.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:40 PM

270 posts, read 325,534 times
OP, make sure you visit first. Many people feel a "that's IT?" kind of disappointment when they see LA for the first time. LA has a lot going for it, but it's often not a match for what people have in their heads.

If after visiting you still like it, make sure you won't be stretching your budget too thin, and can survive in a decent area for at least a while if things don't work out (at first?).

From my experience of living long-term in the LA area, you and your parents are both right: the weather is beautiful, it's fun, it's dangerous, most of the people are both friendly and shallow (and this is not limited to just one class or demographic). Come see before you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles