Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 PM

33 posts, read 60,429 times

Advertisements

Just needed to vent some about my last driving adventure in Los Angeles.

Needed to drive grandkids to school, from Pico-Robertson area to Hancock Park. Left what I thought was plenty of time but could not seem to overcome seemingly endless obstacles to an stress free commute.

I try to pick a pretty direct route when driving with kids, and will go around a block to avoid a left hand turn for a usually safer right hand turn. The first street I turned down I was pretty much immediately blocked by a garbage truck. Where I live that would not be a problem but these streets are so narrow and there are cars parked on both sides of the street that there is no way to go around. OK, so a 10 minute delay. My grandson said just put it in reverse and get out of here. Not ok with me due to so many cars that are attempting to circumvent a situation I don't want an accident.

Then after this saw someone run a red light. Very heavy traffic. Later went down another street which was blocked by an ambulance (not on emergency just driving) and the same narrow street/parked car phenomena. Everyone honking at me to move but honestly there was no place to move to. Then I tried to stay on major streets but found homeless people and encampments on many major intersections and was unprepared for how aggressive the homeless have become. I was a bit scared when a large homeless guy with multicolored things coming from his head approached my car window demanding money while stopped at a light.

Next dilemma were multiple street lights that weren't working. The first had a worker waving people through but the second was a diagonal intersection that was a free for all so had to make a split second decision to go through.

Next was left hand turn I couldn't avoid and I tried to do it safely but was overtaken by a large SUV who went into the left hand turn lane before it became a lane behind me--all in an attempt to one up me to be one person closer to make the turn--which of course took so long it necessitated sitting through multiple light cycles.

I know these streets were built years ago and certainly not for the volume and size of cars they are expected to handle now. I know everyone is in a rush and there's lots of texting while driving going on. But someone suggested to me the real reason for this traffic free for all is lack of police presence--your chances of getting ticketed for running a red light just aren't that great so I guess it's a benefit/risk ratio. As if red lights/stop signs are suggestions, not mandates.

This is just a rant/vent. Obviously after this experience I know driving in LA is just not for me. How do you all manage this stress on a daily basis??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 02:52 PM

160 posts, read 148,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinbelle View Post
Just needed to vent some about my last driving adventure in Los Angeles.

Needed to drive grandkids to school, from Pico-Robertson area to Hancock Park. Left what I thought was plenty of time but could not seem to overcome seemingly endless obstacles to an stress free commute.

I try to pick a pretty direct route when driving with kids, and will go around a block to avoid a left hand turn for a usually safer right hand turn. The first street I turned down I was pretty much immediately blocked by a garbage truck. Where I live that would not be a problem but these streets are so narrow and there are cars parked on both sides of the street that there is no way to go around. OK, so a 10 minute delay. My grandson said just put it in reverse and get out of here. Not ok with me due to so many cars that are attempting to circumvent a situation I don't want an accident.

Then after this saw someone run a red light. Very heavy traffic. Later went down another street which was blocked by an ambulance (not on emergency just driving) and the same narrow street/parked car phenomena. Everyone honking at me to move but honestly there was no place to move to. Then I tried to stay on major streets but found homeless people and encampments on many major intersections and was unprepared for how aggressive the homeless have become. I was a bit scared when a large homeless guy with multicolored things coming from his head approached my car window demanding money while stopped at a light.

Next dilemma were multiple street lights that weren't working. The first had a worker waving people through but the second was a diagonal intersection that was a free for all so had to make a split second decision to go through.

Next was left hand turn I couldn't avoid and I tried to do it safely but was overtaken by a large SUV who went into the left hand turn lane before it became a lane behind me--all in an attempt to one up me to be one person closer to make the turn--which of course took so long it necessitated sitting through multiple light cycles.

I know these streets were built years ago and certainly not for the volume and size of cars they are expected to handle now. I know everyone is in a rush and there's lots of texting while driving going on. But someone suggested to me the real reason for this traffic free for all is lack of police presence--your chances of getting ticketed for running a red light just aren't that great so I guess it's a benefit/risk ratio. As if red lights/stop signs are suggestions, not mandates.

This is just a rant/vent. Obviously after this experience I know driving in LA is just not for me. How do you all manage this stress on a daily basis??
I get on freeway. Sit in traffic for 25 minutes. Get off freeway. Quite simple.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:20 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Come to Glendale and then you'll see a wild ride

Old 02-21-2016, 04:20 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
I thought this was going to be about Disneyland.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I thought this was going to be about Disneyland.
As did I.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:34 PM

33 posts, read 60,429 times
Unfortunately there is no freeway that would go this route.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 PM

39 posts, read 40,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
As did I.
Me three. And I immediately feared the worst, as Anaheim has the last Mr Toad installation on the planet.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:18 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,975,939 times
I don't know what the traffic was like where you were driving, but most people get into the left turn lane before it's officially a turn lane when it's backed up. It's just good manners to move over early. Otherwise, a lane of traffic gets blocked while you wait for space to open up in the turn lane. People waiting for space in the turn lane and blocking traffic in the left lane when there is a center turn lane available is my spouse's biggest driving pet peeve. The worst is when someone does it and blocks the left lane when a bus is stopped blocking the right. Nothing like an entire light cycle running through without a single car getting to go through. BTW, since you don't seem to be used to driving in LA, when the light turns yellow/red, 2 cars get to turn left. It's an unwritten rule. But even though driving in LA is stressful, you just have to not let things get to you too much, unless you are Armenian, in which case you should drove like nobody's life, including your own, has any value.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:30 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
I ride a motorcycle.
I take my chances with some of the crappiest drivers on the planet rather than deal with what you described.

I take the truck when I don't have to worry about being on time and/or when I am doing big shopping.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
What you have described is one of the reasons I never go anywhere, except work and necessary errands! Driving in this city can be a nightmare.

I saw an accident today on my way home from work. An SUV was turning left, but stopped while turning because of a pedestrian crossing the street. The car behind the SUV obviously didn't realized he had stopped, and rear-ended the SUV. Both cars pulled over after completing the turn. I was going to just keep going, but then I thought, "What if they need a witness?" I got back just in time to see the woman in the car driving away ON HER CELL PHONE!!! WTF, are you kidding?!! I couldn't believe it! At that moment I lost whatever sympathy I'd had for her (not much; she should have been paying attention!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles