Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
thinking of maybe new Mexico but need to go scout it first
New Mexico is beautiful. I have an uncle who has lived there for years. They call it the Enchanted State for good reason. I think the challenge there would be finding good paying work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The daily grind of living in LA can be tough. I am single, no kids. Live very close to work. So life is pretty simple for me.

But I see some coworkers with kids that have some grueling daily routines (as in commute or the logistics of getting their kids to school, etc.). I can see why some people might consider a less stressful, cheaper and more chill area to live. I was just in Phoenix for a business trip. Really blows you away to see how low density that place is compared to LA. Also, driving there is a walk in the park compared to LA.

Where are you thinking about moving?
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. A single person that lives near work will have a lot different experience than someone commuting far with kids.
It seems there are a lot of people that live in more suburb areas like Santa Clarita and then commute into L.A
But then the thing is even though they working right in L.A , they likely are just there for work during the week..and on the weekends they are probably so tired just from the long commute and working the last thing they want to do is make the commute into L.A on the weekend.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:37 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
haha yeah I really did hate this city at first, to the point that I used to get depressed when coming back from vacation. I have grown to really appreciate the city for what it is, to the point that I actually think I will miss it a great deal when I have to relocate in the future. I live in downtown and I work in Santa Monica, so I'm always in the heart of the traffic and the times in which I leave are at peak rush time. I would say that on average my total drive time is over 2 hours each day, although some days it is only 1.5 hours total drive time. Since the light rail is opening up in May I am looking forward to ditching my car commutes.
Why not just drive to the last station on the Expo line, park, and ride the rail in?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:08 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Why not just drive to the last station on the Expo line, park, and ride the rail in?
Because you can't take the rail into SaMo yet, the Expo line will probably cut her commute time down considerably once it's open though. Worst apart about that drive is getting OUT of SaMo not going in.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Because you can't take the rail into SaMo yet, the Expo line will probably cut her commute time down considerably once it's open though. Worst apart about that drive is getting OUT of SaMo not going in.
But you can still drive to the last station stop and PnR it in. I've heard those SM traffic stories from coworkers. Glad I don't deal with it. I make it in before some of them do, leaving at the same time, and I live twice as far from the office (thanks blue line).

Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
These are the common reasons I've heard - note I don't share all of these.

- High taxes (applies to all of CA)
- Too many [illegal] immigrants
- Have to drive everywhere
- Bad air quality/smog
- Too expensive for what you get

I'm only bothered personally about the driving thing. Granted this is not LA's fault; it's just my preference. I just really, really, truly hate driving, sitting in traffic, parallel parking, getting lost on the windy roads of most of the cool places to hang out in LA, paying for gas/insurance/parking fees/tickets. Hate it... but I like a lot of things about LA that override it. So here I am.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:52 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
[quote=BicoastalAnn;43194589]
- High taxes (applies to all of CA)
- Too many [illegal] immigrants
- Have to drive everywhere
- Bad air quality/smog
- Too expensive for what you get

I'll add
Worst government anywhere in all the history of time.
Constantly increasing taxes.
Homeless bums everywhere.
Stupid laws that cost you money and aggravate you.
Everything is all dried out and dusty by the end of summer.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The daily grind of living in LA can be tough. I am single, no kids. Live very close to work. So life is pretty simple for me.

But I see some coworkers with kids that have some grueling daily routines (as in commute or the logistics of getting their kids to school, etc.). I can see why some people might consider a less stressful, cheaper and more chill area to live. I was just in Phoenix for a business trip. Really blows you away to see how low density that place is compared to LA. Also, driving there is a walk in the park compared to LA.

Where are you thinking about moving?
Go back in a month or so and see what you think....LOL. Phoenix is brutal about half the year. You avoid being outside as much as possible. It's one thing to put up with extremely hot weather for a couple of months, it's another when it's a half a year or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
thinking of maybe new Mexico but need to go scout it first
New Mexico is a beautiful state and offers a more moderate climate than AZ does.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Go back in a month or so and see what you think....LOL. Phoenix is brutal about half the year. You avoid being outside as much as possible. It's one thing to put up with extremely hot weather for a couple of months, it's another when it's a half a year or more.
My mention of Phoenix was not meant to endorse the place or its climate. Ultimately, it is a value judgement for each person....I am probably too urban oriented to ever consider Phoenix regardless of climate. For others the trade-offs might be worth it.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:14 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
But you can still drive to the last station stop and PnR it in. I've heard those SM traffic stories from coworkers. Glad I don't deal with it. I make it in before some of them do, leaving at the same time, and I live twice as far from the office (thanks blue line).
She lives in DTLA though. That would make sense if she lived in SaMo and worked in DTLA.

Since she lives in DTLA. She could just walk to 7th/Metro or Pico station or whatever.

The fastest way right now would be either: A) Drive; B) R10 to SaMo; C)Expo to BBB to SaMo.

All three are not great options right now w/ driving being the most convenient. I just don't see how driving could be better than expo line when it opens going east. The worst part is trying to drive past the 405 and the expo line is grade separated over the most troublesome portion of the trip.

Last edited by jamills21; 03-01-2016 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles