Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 04:20 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Of course there are things for tourists to do, LA is a huge city and a global one at that. But it's not very accessible. You really need to have a plan before coming...you can't just visit and check stuff out on the fly. Most cities of LA's size have their sought-after attractions close together and what not.
This is common sense. How can you come to LA without a plan of some sort? You'd be lost.

I used to take the bus from Boston to NYC all the time and just wander around the city and bump into things to see and do all the time. It's much easier to get around.

These aren't knocks on the city for the love of Pete, the boosters in here need to take a flipping chill pill. All the man was trying to say was that upon first impression someone might wonder just what there is to do in such a spread out city. Some might not appreciate getting around by car which is a common complaint about LA, some don't mind. It's different strokes for different folks. What is so wrong with that?
This is getting to be beyond ridiculous especially with the suggestions that people are just jealous? Are you people serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 04:23 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL....you need to have a plan before coming ANYWHERE when you visit. Anyone stupid enough to just fly in somewhere without doing research, and finding about things that interest, the proximity of where things are, is an idiot and deserves to have a not so great visit.

No reason these days with everything right out your fingertips to not plan a trip well.

Doesn't matter it's LA, NYC, London or Salt Lake City.
Yes, but you have to admit that it's different in LA. You really aren't going to be going all over LA in one day, or even to just a few areas.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
From meeting and speaking with international visitors (and visiting plenty of other places myself), LA is a tough city to be a tourist. Very hard to grasp it all in one place....

Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes, but you have to admit that it's different in LA. You really aren't going to be going all over LA in one day, or even to just a few areas.
that's almost every city in the US.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
From meeting and speaking with international visitors (and visiting plenty of other places myself), LA is a tough city to be a tourist. Very hard to grasp it all in one place....
yeah, I kind of feel bad for them....oh well.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
that's almost every city in the US.
Oh come on we are talking about the touristy cities; NYC, LA, SF, DC, Boston, Miami, NOLA etc. No one from Europe is going to Cleveland. The latter cities might be a bit more difficult too. This is mostly about transport.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
That's what I was trying to get at. it's a city where you need a week or longer, or visit multiple times.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Oh come on we are talking about the touristy cities; NYC, LA, SF, DC, Boston, Miami, NOLA etc. No one from Europe is going to Cleveland. The latter cities might be a bit more difficult too. This is mostly about transport.
oh my bad... I thought he meant to live as opposed as a tourist.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:39 PM

I can relate. This images of Hollywood and stuff are so skewed in the media that my first day in LA I thought I had made a huge mistake by moving there. I rode down Lankershim from Sherman Way and was like dear mother Mary what have I done. LOL. I took the redline from Noho to Hollywood and saw a homeless guy throw up on the train and was like no I can't do this I have to go home. I went up the escalator to Hollywood and was like no way is this it. Totally grungy place. People usually expect Robertson Blvd or Sunset Strip. I'd wonder why is there a Taco Bell that looks as though it hasn't been renovated since the early 90s. Half these buildings need a power wash and people are living in some straight up Threes Company style apartments. LOL.

Now all that doesn't matter to me anymore. I don't even see it. I love my neighborhood and barely leave the valley. You have to get used to it here. One day means nothing in LA.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:04 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The jealousy thing is overstated. People have their grievences, some silly, some legit but criticism is not solely on jealousy. That's just ridiculous to assume so.,
Who said it was solely based on jealousy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles