Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 2,477 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My current lease is up on March 31st, but I've found an apartment that I really like that is available now. I don't want to lose it, so I'm definitely willing to pay a holding deposit and sign a lease, but I really don't think I can move in until March 17th at the earliest... I know two weeks is about average time to hold an apartment, but could anyone give me some tips or ideas to help me negotiate my move-in date with the landlord? Perhaps pay for the security deposit and first months rent in advance with the signed lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:42 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,805,102 times
Paying the security deposit and first months rent upfront is already a normal part of renting and you will be expected to pay that when you sign the lease. I suggest you offer to pay the full month of March. This way you can get the keys March 1st and then take your time moving in.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:02 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,993,190 times
Can't really give you tips, tell them your lease is not up until 3/31 and you really want the apartment but don't want to pay rent on two places for longer than necessary. Even on really hot apartments they are typically a little flexible on stuff like this. They realize that most people have to give 30 days notice which means they can't just up-and-move on a weeks notice. Most places require a security deposit and first months rent when you sign the lease so that is really not a factor IMO. They want a signed lease, not a $500 holding deposit if you change your mind. You have to realize that a signed lease is a legal document. You're locked in for the duration of the lease and getting out of a lease in a market like LA is going to be very expensive endeavor.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:12 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,249,397 times
What exactly are you asking? Do you want the lease to start on March 17th? If that is so, is he supposed to just have a vacant month? What kind of hold deposit are you contemplating? A month's rent?

I have had prospective tenants ask me to hold a unit with some sort of hold deposit and I always refuse. I would not hold it even for the 2 weeks that you think is average, and perhaps it is for your area. I just have no incentive to do that.

You can always ask. I suspect it will be granted for short periods only

Old 02-18-2016, 02:25 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
I live in a highly desirable area so places go fast and I wouldn't say 2 weeks is the average but the max. I once had a nice landlord allow me 2 weeks but I had to ask nicely and he only did it because he's nice.

Asking is all you can do.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:14 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,488,922 times
Unfortunately, you'll probably end up paying double for a couple of weeks unless your current landlord is willing to let you go without paying for the full 30 days' notice. Yes, you can ask, but don't be surprised if the answer is "no".

Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 AM

160 posts, read 147,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Unfortunately, you'll probably end up paying double for a couple of weeks unless your current landlord is willing to let you go without paying for the full 30 days' notice. Yes, you can ask, but don't be surprised if the answer is "no".
Yeah you're more likely to get out of your lease on the current unit than asking a new place to hold it for two weeks.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:12 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,259,394 times
Agree with everyone else. It's a landlord's market now so they're not going to hold a place for you. I remember when I rented in 2009 and 2010 they held a place for for 2-3 weeks, but that won't happen no more.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM

329 posts, read 623,021 times
I rented my home out once. Tenant asked to hold it for a month but I gave them 2 weeks because I liked them. As others stated, it's landlord's market so you won't have much luck with more than a week or two.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,477 times
Thanks guys. I was able to have my landlord agree to let me move in March 15th with the deposit and lease signed. Guess I'm just lucky they liked me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles