Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:28 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,947,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Stop feeling sorry for yourself man. I'm black in LA and I do just fine for myself and don't see 100k a year. yet a drive a new car and live in whats considered an affluent neighborhood. And as homes get close to the $1millon dollar mark, well guess what, you are anybody else doesn't HAVE to own a house. At least not in southern Cal. A lot of people, unfortunately in the minority community out here, make a lot of bad decisions...namely not continuing their education, having babies early, or even if they do attempt and achieve higher education they rarely, never venture out yof their comfort zones and continue to live in the Downey's, and bell gardens of the world. Kind of a self segregation. other blacks out here to it too to a degree

From what I hear, the COL is starting to rise in the nicer parts of Texas, specifically Dallas and Austin, but that's another story.

But I will say this, i don't think the Latino minorities will be leaving anytime soon regardless of the cost, becuz more than any other group, they seem willing to stack 5-7 adults in a house to stay afloat.

California is a prime location in this country. Perhaps it should be a survival of the fittest. Why live under the lowest common denominator, plenty of other states for that. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas, take your pick
Yeah I'm another Black guy that recently moved out here. You can add in Houston to the list of Texas cities with high rents. One bedrooms in the trendiest parts of Houston use to be 800-1100. Now the high end of that is the starting point and the older cheap units continue to get demolished for more expensive ones (slowed down in Houston because of the energy sloweown but Austin and Dallas continue to see it).

The opportunities in LA area everywhere. People just don't know how to look. I was halfway across the country and land a full time regular business job and a retail job a couple of nights a week for ****s and giggles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 PM

29,464 posts, read 22,444,203 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udRdKOxpPHU

Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,369,230 times
^^That is the Wynverwood redevelopment project in Boyle Heights. It was first proposed over ten years ago. The owner/developer (15 Group) tried to move forward but it probably got shelved during the recession.

By 2013 they were rolling out a proposal again with community input. The plan would have torn down the 1,187 unit World War II garden style housing complex (all privately owned, not public housing). It would have been replaced with a much denser roughly 4,000 unit project which would have included approx. 600 "affordable" units.

The Boyle Heights Neigh. Council actually endorsed the project in 2013. The non-binding vote was 9 to 3 in support of the project. But the Neigh. Council changed its vote a few months later saying they were taking no position on it. Too much pressure (some said harassment) from some members of the community that preferred to block the project.

I have no idea where the project stands now.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,631,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
I'm a 29 year old black women who is interested in the status of gentrifying neighborhoods. I wouldn't assume that whites are the only block of residents that are interested in such. To say that is to say, non whites don't want "nice" places to live as well.
Not everyone who subscribes to whiteness is white. https://abagond.wordpress.com/2014/0...can-whiteness/

The black middle class is one of the most underrated and under-reported culprits of capitalism. I am black middle class (now) and see it closely. The ills of gentrification aren't just about the money, it's the mindset. It's inevitable that people need to find cheaper places to live but do they care about those that live there with less or those that are being pushed out? That's what makes a gentrifier to me.

Last edited by taydigga; 02-26-2016 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 02-26-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Stop feeling sorry for yourself man. I'm black in LA and I do just fine for myself and don't see 100k a year. yet a drive a new car and live in whats considered an affluent neighborhood. And as homes get close to the $1millon dollar mark, well guess what, you are anybody else doesn't HAVE to own a house. At least not in southern Cal. A lot of people, unfortunately in the minority community out here, make a lot of bad decisions...namely not continuing their education, having babies early, or even if they do attempt and achieve higher education they rarely, never venture out of their comfort zones and continue to live in the Downey's, and bell gardens of the world. Kind of a self segregation. other blacks out here to it too to a degree

From what I hear, the COL is starting to rise in the nicer parts of Texas, specifically Dallas and Austin, but that's another story.

But I will say this, i don't think the Latino minorities will be leaving anytime soon regardless of the cost, becuz more than any other group, they seem willing to stack 5-7 adults in a house to stay afloat.

California is a prime location in this country. Perhaps it should be a survival of the fittest. Why live under the lowest common denominator, plenty of other states for that. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas, take your pick
This just proved my point in my last comment.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Kind of a self segregation. other blacks out here to it too to a degree
Probably the least informed comment I've seen on here from a POC. Self-segregation is a survival method. The suburbs were created because of self-segregation from whites when blacks (and other groups) tried to move into certain neighborhoods. You never heard of white flight? How do you think Inglewood got so black? Whites moved out. POCs tried to integrate for years and guess who always denied it and/or moved away? Come on man, you that brainwashed? This is basic information that should've been passed down to you.

Last edited by taydigga; 02-26-2016 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: editor

Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM

295 posts, read 243,551 times
East LA isn't a place that I would expect to become gentrified because it's not next to a high demand location. Gentrification is occurring in DTLA around the area where Whole Foods is, and it's spreading east. I don't think it will make it as far as East LA though.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 9,454 times
NELA is pricey, City Terrace is pricey and Boyle Heights is coming up. Downey is pricey as well. East LA doesn't have a lot of amenities. Bell Gardens has a lot of cheap multi-units. Live in one and rent the others to whom you choose.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,357,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaytoLA8 View Post
NELA is pricey, City Terrace is pricey and Boyle Heights is coming up. Downey is pricey as well. East LA doesn't have a lot of amenities. Bell Gardens has a lot of cheap multi-units. Live in one and rent the others to whom you choose.
Yeah everything in la or around la has gone up a ton in a pretty short amount of time .

Bell Gardens has cheap multis ? Just looked cheapest is $515,000 for a 1182 sq two unit .
doesn’t seem too cheap .

Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 PM

306 posts, read 239,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
East LA isn't a place that I would expect to become gentrified because it's not next to a high demand location. Gentrification is occurring in DTLA around the area where Whole Foods is, and it's spreading east. I don't think it will make it as far as East LA though.
LOL, East LA is right next door to DTLA and The Arts District. Boyle Heights especially. 'East Los' is up next on the big G-Train. Hipsters, gentrifiers, and developers have that area circled and primed to take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles