Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:59 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times

Advertisements

I actually like the uniqueness of East LA it looks like no other place in the city, it doesn't seem to me that there is even that much crime there just working class people who work hard, and have close knit families.

I guess what many mean by "crime-ridden" is it has a lot of crime by California standards, but relative to other places in this country it might as well be a safe suburb.

There's some awesome views in East LA as well I was surprised that even one of the poorest communities in LA still has awesome views of DTLA. I also like the strip on Cesar Chavez it's essentially a mexican downtown not many places have something like this especially a mexican majority community.

Here's one of the views by mi amigos casa en Este Los Ángeles de DTLA. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0520...8i8192!5m1!1e4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 12:08 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Someone mentioned that LA's gang culture has waned in recent years and, you're more likely to "see a Latino kid in skinny jeans riding a skateboard than being part of a gang".

Although that's anecdotal, it's a highly recognizable pattern and I see it too.

I think we can attribute this to several things:

1.) Generational descent -- more Latino youngsters are integrating into mainstream American culture and away from barrio culture.

2.) Blacks moving out of California -- when LA had more blacks, Latinos were more likely to be in gangs. Since the black population in LA and California has dropped, Latinos have lowered their hackles and have a less defensive posture (i.e. less gangs).

3.) Asian influence -- there are now huge Asian populations in the South Bay, San Gabriel and San Fernando Valleys, as well as Orange County. As weird as it may seem, these Asian populations have a moderating effect on the Latino communities near them. Almost the opposite of #2.

4.) Education -- Latinos are becoming more educated and entering the middle class in larger numbers.

If you factor in these things, it is likely that parts of East LA will "self-gentrify" without the intervention of outside parties.

Last edited by kttam186290; 01-28-2019 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 03:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Someone mentioned that LA's gang culture has waned in recent years and, you're more likely to "see a Latino kid in skinny jeans riding a skateboard than being part of a gang".

1.) Generational descent -- more Latino youngsters are integrating into mainstream American culture and away from barrio culture.

2.) Blacks moving out of California -- when LA had more blacks, Latinos were more likely to be in gangs. Since the black population in LA and California has dropped, Latinos have lowered their hackles and have a less defensive posture (i.e. less gangs).

3.) Asian influence -- there are now huge Asian populations in the South Bay, San Gabriel and San Fernando Valleys, as well as Orange County. As weird as it may seem, these Asian populations have a moderating effect on the Latino communities near them. Almost the opposite of #2.

4.) Education -- Latinos are becoming more educated and entering the middle class in larger numbers.

If you factor in these things, it is likely that parts of East LA will "self-gentrify" without the intervention of outside parties.
Your #2 isn't accurate imo. The population of Blacks has certainly declined in LA since its height in the 80s, but it has still actually grown since 2000 (if you include LA + IE). Besides, you also have to figure that many Blacks aren't in those same gangs anymore either. Most of the gang bs, regardless of race, is in parts of the IE and desert areas now. Gangbanging just isn't a thing anymore in general. Mostly beef between small cliques now.

For your #3 point, there are probably more Asian gangs than ever in North OC places like Westminster and Garden Grove.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Your #2 isn't accurate imo. The population of Blacks has certainly declined in LA since its height in the 80s, but it has still actually grown since 2000 (if you include LA + IE). Besides, you also have to figure that many Blacks aren't in those same gangs anymore either. Most of the gang bs, regardless of race, is in parts of the IE and desert areas now. Gangbanging just isn't a thing anymore in general. Mostly beef between small cliques now.

For your #3 point, there are probably more Asian gangs than ever in North OC places like Westminster and Garden Grove.

While gangs certainly do exist in Asian culture, they aren't celebrated the way they are in other cultures.

For example, when you go to places in the San Gabriel Valley, the South Bay, or Orange County, you see tutoring centers and Exam Prep centers, banks, job recruitment centers, resources for autism, among other things. The main focus is on excelling academically, not standing on a street corner and menacing people.

As for whether or not the black population in California has grown, the statistics show a decline in individual areas. In the late 1990s, the black population in LA became more dispersed throughout Southern California, and since then has actually started to decline.

In 2000, the black population in Rialto was 23%. As of 2010, it was 16%. The latest figures show another downward trend to 12%.

Moreno Valley went from 22% black population in 2000, to 19% in 2010. The latest figures show another decrease to 17%

Lancaster was 21% black in 2010. New figures show a drop to 18%.

Meanwhile, the black population has grown significantly in Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ, Houston and Dallas, Atlanta and North Carolina, which are all very popular destinations for black people leaving California.

The current trajectory for the black population in California is to be at, or below, 4% by the time the 2020 Census is taken. In 2000, California's black population was almost 8%.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:

Ok so I’m reading this, I have to say it gave me some serious hope.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
While gangs certainly do exist in Asian culture, they aren't celebrated the way they are in other cultures.

For example, when you go to places in the San Gabriel Valley, the South Bay, or Orange County, you see tutoring centers and Exam Prep centers, banks, job recruitment centers, resources for autism, among other things. The main focus is on excelling academically, not standing on a street corner and menacing people.

As for whether or not the black population in California has grown, the statistics show a decline in individual areas. In the late 1990s, the black population in LA became more dispersed throughout Southern California, and since then has actually started to decline.

In 2000, the black population in Rialto was 23%. As of 2010, it was 16%. The latest figures show another downward trend to 12%.

Moreno Valley went from 22% black population in 2000, to 19% in 2010. The latest figures show another decrease to 17%

Meanwhile, the black population has grown significantly in Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ, Houston and Dallas, Atlanta and North Carolina, which are all very popular destinations for black people leaving California.

The current trajectory for the black population in California is to be at, or below, 4% by the time the 2020 Census is taken. In 2000, California's black population was almost 8%.
I just think this is also due to Hispanics growing faster than blacks and White's winch both have the lowest fertility rates among races. Many have moved out, but the statistics don't show an actual decline in Blacks in California. Just more Latinos, and Asians. Also crime rates have dropped drastically for blacks in California I was reading a study that stated the black crime rate had dropped by 75% in California in the last 20 years. This trend is also happening all over the country black crime rates are dropping, while white crime rates have increased. Notice that now all of a sudden we have a "drug epedemic", and people are starting to change the way they see it, but why? Because it's hitting white communities now. It's no longer the crack epedemic winch hit black inner city places like LA hard, but it's heroin, meth, and fentynal hitting suburban, and rural areas this has also driven crime down dramatically in inner cities.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:

You're looking at percentages of a few selected cities, but I'm looking at actual raw numbers for the entire area. The raw numbers show an increase. For example, the Black population in Orange County has gone up by a few thousand since 2010, Riverside County by over 10k, and San Bernardino County has remained steady. Even Ventura County has seen an increase. You also have to take into account that even though there are percentage drops, it could just mean other races are growing faster. A few of those cities you listed have grown pretty fast.

Blacks leaving CA (even though that isn't entirely true either) is mostly because of the Bay Area. Also, California doesn't get very many immigrant Blacks (Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, etc.) like it does immigrant Asians and Hispanics. The immigrant Blacks all go to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, etc. That explains why the Black population grows slowly in this state.

And as far as the Asian gangs go, you're right that the culture is not as prevalent, but its definitely there in parts of OC (ones I named). Much less so in the SGV, where it's less low-level street gangs and more mafia level stuff.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Quote:

However, the black middle and upper classes has exploded in places like Rancho Cucamonga and Eastvale.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
However, the black middle and upper classes has exploded in places like Rancho Cucamonga and Eastvale.
Correct. I hear there are lots of black LAPD officers in Eastvale now?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You're looking at percentages of a few selected cities, but I'm looking at actual raw numbers for the entire area. The raw numbers show an increase. For example, the Black population in Orange County has gone up by a few thousand since 2010, Riverside County by over 10k, and San Bernardino County has remained steady. Even Ventura County has seen an increase. You also have to take into account that even though there are percentage drops, it could just mean other races are growing faster. A few of those cities you listed have grown pretty fast.

Blacks leaving CA (even though that isn't entirely true either) is mostly because of the Bay Area. Also, California doesn't get very many immigrant Blacks (Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, etc.) like it does immigrant Asians and Hispanics. The immigrant Blacks all go to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, etc. That explains why the Black population grows slowly in this state.

And as far as the Asian gangs go, you're right that the culture is not as prevalent, but its definitely there in parts of OC (ones I named). Much less so in the SGV, where it's less low-level street gangs and more mafia level stuff.

We'll have to wait for the 2020 US Census to take place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles