Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 04:17 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

For those of you with succulents planted in your yard or in pots, how do they fare in our climate without watering them? They seem to have a fairly low watering requirement, but in our hottest months, will they wilt without being watered at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 04:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
I have an army of succulents at home... in the ground, hanging in pots, inside the house. Succulents do great here.

Just give them a bit of water every now and then if there hasn't been any rain. Otherwise, you don't really have to worry too much about watering them.

Plant them in the sunniest spots you can find. They love the sun.

I planted these about a year ago when they were babies. Now they are huge and still growing!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:17 PM

I have one of the same subspecies as the light green and purple one that's almost in the direct center of your posted image. Those are very nice to look at, are they not? I picked mine out of the 20 or so different types of succulents in small pots at my local Armstrong and I look forward to seeing how well it does in my backyard.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Once a month is good enough. And Miracle Grow twice a year and they'll flourish.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Some folks refer to those succulents as "hens & chicks"...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...culents+photos

They are easy to care for. I had 100's of flowering cactii & succulents in my backyard. About once a year i gave them a little shot of fish emulsion mixed with water. My plants got some beautiful flowers once a year.

I got inexpensive or free cuttings of succulents & cactus, at yard sales, garage sales. If you put them in pots give them good drainage using some gravel or small lava rock.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Some folks refer to those succulents as "hens & chicks"...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...culents+photos
Interesting, though I'm baffled as to why.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Interesting, though I'm baffled as to why.
A guess: The main plant produces younger plants from the main stem and under its leaves; the young plants appear to "peek" out. This is similar to chicks that gather around under their mother hen's protective feathers and peek out.

Old 06-02-2023, 04:39 PM

712 posts, read 554,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I have an army of succulents at home... in the ground, hanging in pots, inside the house. Succulents do great here.

Just give them a bit of water every now and then if there hasn't been any rain. Otherwise, you don't really have to worry too much about watering them.

Plant them in the sunniest spots you can find. They love the sun.

I planted these about a year ago when they were babies. Now they are huge and still growing!
Totally brand new to succulents but not new to other flowers. I am quite confused about watering this. It is succulents in one pot. I repotted it into this pot because they were in a very very tiny pot that looked like a log without any drainage. What I am confused about it how to care for these. It has been almost 2 weeks and the soil is very dry and powdery. Would it hurt to water a little? Why am I given advice to wait till the leaves start looking bad? Isn't that counter intuitive? I was always told if you wait till the leaves look bad that the roots are suffering.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:36 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Totally brand new to succulents but not new to other flowers. I am quite confused about watering this. It is succulents in one pot....
You'd get some better informed replies if you posted this on the Gardening sub forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles