Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 07:16 PM

69 posts, read 313,216 times

Advertisements

We have 2 choices with my husband's company: the Seattle area OR the Santa Barbara/Thousand Oaks area in CA. He is a retail district manager so the district in California spans many cities.

We are a family of 2 adults, 2 kids ages 7 and 9.....we are looking to rent NOT buy a home. We saw plenty of decent houses on craigslist in the Seattle area....not so much decency in the California areas we are looking at!

My husband will be making about $82,000 a year and I will be making about $20-$25k a year there.

We are moving from Dallas....not by choice. Please don't tell me we shouldn't be moving out of Dallas -- it's not up for discussion, it will be one of these places so I really want to get your opinions to which one we will have a better quality of life based on our salary.

We can probably afford a rental house anywhere from $1600-$2100/month.

we have to make our decision quick! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 PM

69 posts, read 313,216 times
Oh, we are also considering the Santa Clarita area as we heard it is a nice place to raise a family. I found some nice rentals on craigslist for Santa Clarita and Canyon Country. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
you'd have better luck posting this the LA forum then i would think.

anyways, craigslist isnt going to give you the entire picture. pennysaverusa.com is another place to look or even some realtors help out with that. i dont know any specifics for the areas you're looking so good luck

Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 PM

28 posts, read 109,419 times
You will get more for your money in Seattle for sure. Also, not as spread out. The freeways in Ca are a nightmare if he has to do a ton of driving. The only drawback with Seattle in my eyes would be the rain. If I had that choice I would pick Seattle...just my 2 cents

Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 22,305 times
Currently live in Seattle and visited the Santa Barbara area several times. I, personally, think Santa Barbara is one of the nicest area's in the United States. Great weather, nice city atmosphere, focus on the arts, beach city with plenty of wineries near by. It is my ideal retirement city of the future.

The traffic in Seattle is worse than people know. Everyone knows that LA traffic is bad, but Seattle traffic can be crippled if there is one bad accident as we only have two major freeways with a giant lake stuck in the middle with only two bridges to get over it. On a good day, it isn't bad, but if it rains (and yes, it does do that a lot) believe or not, traffic is almost always bad.

Seattle is good place if you love the outdoors and you are the hardy type. That means that you like to run or bike in 50 degree weather and drizzly rain. A lot of people really do. In the summer, Seattle is the most beautiful place in world, but it only lasts 2 and 1/2 months. Weather really can be depressing here and there are sometimes several weeks that go by that you will not see a peek of sun.

For the price you are looking for, you can rent a small house in a decent area near Seattle. You may want to check out "the eastside". Very family friendly and more like the suburbs around Dallas - check Bellevue, Kirkland or Woodinville and you will get good schools as well.

Lastly, people aren't all that friendly in Seattle. We have something called "Seattle nice" here and it is real. People will be very polite and say hello to you on the street, supermarket, etc., but it is really difficult to actually form friendships.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,242 times
Excellent post seattlepeanut and so right on. I have lived in Seattle, presently live in LA, and just purchased in Santa Barbara. I concur with seattlepeanut . . . go to Santa Barbara!!! Santa Barbara is fantastic and you can't beat the beauty and weather mixed together. Seattle is fun too, but damp, damp, damp! Traffic too can be a nightmare at times! seattlepeanut is also speaking the truth about the 'Seattle nice". Besides would you rather have your children grow up around a bunch of goth wanna bes in Seattle (The NW has a very high heroin consumption and the whole dress in black and acting withdrawn and pained is cool there.) or around a bunch of fun loving, laid back, beach bums? I guess in the end this is what I would ask myself and it would be a no brainer. Seattle has a lot to do and Santa Barbara always has some sort of fun going on in the community it seems. Both value culture and education. It can get cold in that year round Seattle drizzle!? Santa Barbara is perfect weather wise and you see weather in the mountains--so you don't feel completely cut off from the inner stir of 'weather'. You can look at it swirl in the clouds above the mountains, but not have to feel the results, while you bask in the warmth of Santa Barbara :-). Sun or rain? Your pick.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 02-16-2008 at 12:23 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
I love to visit Seattle but I can't handle the months and months of grey, cold and drizzle. I'm a creature of habit driving my convertible with the top down 12 months a year.

Santa Clarita and Santa Barbara couldn't be more different. IMHO Santa Clarita has awful weather and ugly houses (a sea of beige stucco and all looking the same). Culturally it's more conservative. People who love it there think I'm crazy. They all have a commute that takes a chunk out of their lives. Santa Barbara is gorgeous and has stellar weather. It's also more expensive than Santa Clarita. I love it for all the reasons I don't love the former. It's asthetically very beautiful.

Having family in Dallas I know you guys are used to bigger houses than we live in here. Santa Clarita has the closest to what you're used to. If you're thinking of just housing, Seattle will get you the most house for the money. The nice neighborhoods are on par with Southern California prices. Go further south (around and south of the airport) and the homes get cheaper. Both S. Cal and Seattle are nice places...for completely different reasons.

Good luck with whichever you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles