Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:22 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I work in Tech, DTLA. I don't understand why it it's only a hot bed for baby boomers chatting Brexit over crepes. With all the new commercial space being developed, residential towers going up, and pre-existing Metro connections...it should be a millennial wet dream.
DTLA is very expensive. It's a stressful place to live. You can't walk to your local Whole Foods or organic coffeehouse without getting accosted by an army of junkies. It's dirty. It's polluted. It's filled with traffic and one way streets.

Why pay 3-4k for a one bedroom there when you can pay the same for peaceful, clean, quiet (and still filled w/amenities) in the Westside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 10:30 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I work in Tech, DTLA. I don't understand why it it's only a hot bed for baby boomers chatting Brexit over crepes. With all the new commercial space being developed, residential towers going up, and pre-existing Metro connections...it should be a millennial wet dream.
Don't you mean texting over crepes? Chatting means putting your phone away and actually....wait for it...intereacting with the people you're with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
DTLA is very expensive. It's a stressful place to live. You can't walk to your local Whole Foods or organic coffeehouse without getting accosted by an army of junkies. It's dirty. It's polluted. It's filled with traffic and one way streets.

Why pay 3-4k for a one bedroom there when you can pay the same for peaceful, clean, quiet (and still filled w/amenities) in the Westside?

No kidding, try as they may downtown LA isn't Manhattan. It never will be, and that's OK. The beauty of living here is you can have both the city, and nature, and everything in between.

You can even live close to downtown and still live in an area that gives you some feel of peace and quiet.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:49 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:

Some people like how urban DTLA is. I know I'd personally would rather live in DTLA before the Westside.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:08 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Hard to say for sure. I would think the residential towers would mostly be filled by younger people, but not sure. I don't think DTLA is ideal for most family people with kids right now, still pretty gritty.

Also those baby boomers chatting about Brexit over crepes, maybe they don't live in DLTA but work there.
Many times more people works in DLTA versus live there.
I'm the epitome of what LA labels the infamous techie millennial transplant. Late 20's, no kids, works in tech, healthy income, lives urbanly, takes the metro, flew in from the Midwest, wear stupid shirts with donuts on them...the whole nine yards. I spend 75% of my office time in DTLA, 25% in Santa Monica. To me DTLA has a ton of appeal, but to others in my generation, the fact you're not 14mi away in Silicon Beach fosters a fear of missing out. So I'm not convinced DTLA will ever reach the level of tech action in Silicon Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
Are there really tech companies in DTLA besides less-than-10-employee startups? I have never heard of one. Tons in other areas, but nothing in DTLA.

I would love for DTLA to become more of a hub and move traction from the west side.
There definitely are, but the overwhelming density of startups in Santa Monica dwarfs DTLA's numbers.

Quote:

Exactly. I love the idea of the Metropolis development, [hell, I can see it from my office windows right now] but $550k for a 500sqft studio? That's West Side money, and the West Side still has much more appeal to the masses.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Will it take away demand Silicon Valleys, will dramatically change areas such Culver City?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Beach
Make housing more expensive probably

Old 06-28-2016, 06:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
adr3naline, maybe they have that mentality because most of them are transplants and they can't imagine "LA" without being by the beach ?

Also despite being expensive downtown is still pretty gritty , like others said if they are going to be paying $3000 for an apartment might as well live on the Westside .

It's funny because I remember when downtown wasn't hip at all , most people wouldn't think of hanging out there let alone live there .

Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 PM

One reason DTLA might be less than appealing to people ..

85-year-old man brutally beaten in downtown attack dies - LA Times

Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
One reason DTLA might be less than appealing to people ..

85-year-old man brutally beaten in downtown attack dies - LA Times
Do people on the Westside not get brutally attacked and/or killed?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Their money and black cards act as body armor

Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Violent crime in downtown LA shot up 52% in 2015!

So while prices have risen higher and higher crime has skyrocketed!

Not the way things generally are supposed to happen . Usually you would think higher prices and more development would bring crime down

and yes even LAPD has connected the rise of crime with the homeless population

Let's face it if they said they were going to develop skid row and the SROS and not let people turn downtown into a tent city crime would go down .

Violent, Property Crime Soar in Downtown L.A. | News | ladowntownnews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles