Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 AM

283 posts, read 358,581 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone -

Guess what? I'm another person who may be moving to California - I have the opportunity to relocate in 2017. As everyone else, I'm wondering if I could get some guidance on housing locations and/or any other general advice.

I'd be working in Burbank with infrequent visits to Hollywood and Glendale. My budget for a 1 bedroom is around $1,800 (I know that's probably not a lot, but it seems like it would be doable).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 12:27 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,975,898 times
How old are you? What kind of vibe are you looking for?

Old 03-12-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
How old are you? What kind of vibe are you looking for?
I'm 34. I'm more laid back vs. clubs and going out, but I like to have access to that sort of thing. I also don't mind a little bit of a commute. I used to drive 1.15 hours one-way to work due to traffic - definitely not looking for that again, but I'm not scared of being in a car for a few.

Safety is probably top priority. And somewhere "quiet."

Old 03-13-2016, 01:24 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,975,898 times
Then just live in Burbank.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:21 AM

317 posts, read 401,397 times
From the short time I've been here I would say sherman oaks. There are alot of nice spots on Ventura and it is a quite a bit more upscale than most of the valley. Avoid NoHo like the plague. Its "happening" or whatever but the cool spots are only within a few blocks and the drivers are terrible. Burbank is also very nice like someone else said, even nicer than Sherman Oaks, but its a bit more for older people. I would say someone your age would be good in Sherman Oaks.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
From the short time I've been here I would say sherman oaks. There are alot of nice spots on Ventura and it is a quite a bit more upscale than most of the valley. Avoid NoHo like the plague. Its "happening" or whatever but the cool spots are only within a few blocks and the drivers are terrible. Burbank is also very nice like someone else said, even nicer than Sherman Oaks, but its a bit more for older people. I would say someone your age would be good in Sherman Oaks.
Awesome. I'll look into it.

Yeah, I heard that North Hollywood is bad. Are there any other spots to avoid in that area?

Old 03-13-2016, 11:50 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,787,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Then just live in Burbank.
I second that. It's in your price range, no commute and not bad getting into Hollywood. Plenty to do in and around Burbank and again close enough to Hollywood, DTLA, rest of Valley etc for occasional trips for nightlife

Old 03-13-2016, 12:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,523,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Awesome. I'll look into it.

Yeah, I heard that North Hollywood is bad. Are there any other spots to avoid in that area?
North Hollywood is not bad. It's actually been given an makeover and has trendy stores, coffee houses, theaters,etc.

Van Nuys(well part of VN) and Panorama City are not the best parts of the Valley.

John Marts is a very recent transplant. No offense John, but I notice many who move to LA suddenly become experts on a place they haven't lived in very long.

How are drivers in North Hollywood terrible, but they're OK in Sherman Oaks? LOL. That makes no sense.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:37 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,777,438 times
John Marts, haven't you only been living in Los Angeles for a month or two?

OP, there's really no need to live in Sherman Oaks with your budget, and North Hollywood (please don't call it NoHo, or WeHo (West Hollywood)) is nothing terrible. Any native Angeleno or Los Angeles resident who's lived here for a long time knows this.

I agree with others, just live in Burbank. My favorite neighborhood around Burbank is Toluca Lake. It's safe and quiet, and you should be able to find something if not in that area, then around that area with your budget. Why live further out when you can afford something nearby where you'll be working?

Old 03-13-2016, 02:05 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,235,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Hey everyone -

Guess what? I'm another person who may be moving to California - I have the opportunity to relocate in 2017. As everyone else, I'm wondering if I could get some guidance on housing locations and/or any other general advice.

I'd be working in Burbank with infrequent visits to Hollywood and Glendale. My budget for a 1 bedroom is around $1,800 (I know that's probably not a lot, but it seems like it would be doable).

Thoughts?
we are full
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles