Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:53 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

You can find anything in Los Angeles County from the crazy dense neighborhood of West Hollywood and Westlake, newer areas like Santa Clarita, old-fashioned suburbs in the San Gabriel Valley like San Dimas and Claremont and even more ruralish areas in the Antolope Valley.
I was surprised to read that Orange County is actually more densely populated than LA County. Increasing density in OC has a lot of people here worried.

ORANGE COUNTY 2014 COMMUNITY INDICATORS

http://occhildrenandfamilies.com/wp-...014_Report.pdf

Orange County -3,822 people per square mile of land area-19th most populous US county.
LA County-2,425 people per square mile of land are-31st most populous US county.

OTH, I suppose the difference shouldn't be much of a surprise when you take into account LA County's more remote areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I was surprised to read that Orange County is actually more densely populated than LA County. Increasing density in OC has a lot of people here worried.

Orange County -3,822 people per square mile of land area-19th most populous US county.
LA County-2,425 people per square mile of land are-31st most populous US county.

OTH, I suppose the difference shouldn't be much of a surprise when you take into account LA County's more remote areas.
What was the point of this post then

Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
-ppl are in cars
-the dense areas are the poorer ethnic communities that you probably aren't visiting on any frequent basis
-the richer white neighborhoods and DTLA are not dense in terms of residents
Yeah true. Someone mentioned the Westlake area and that is one area where you will pretty much always see people walking around. More people in that area likely can't afford a car versus other areas. Lot's of newer immigrants.
In the valley similarly Van Nuys Blvd usually has a lot of pedestrians walking around.
Ventura Blvd not so much. Even though Ventura Blvd is pretty walkable, the sidewalks are pretty wide in most parts.

Also parts of Hollywood, especially East Hollywood is similar with a lot of pedestrians.

There are people walking in L.A , but it's primarily hispanic immigrants.
The invisible majority in L.A it seems.

Another time you will see a lot of people walking is in heavily Jewish neighborhoods like the Fairfax area or Valley Village where families will be walking to Temple on Saturdays as they are not supposed to drive or work on Saturday.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:59 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Yeah, go on a freeway and it suddenly doesn't feel as empty.

From Sylmar to Mission Viejo over the 70 miles between the two cities there's of a mixture of suburbs, industry, urban areas, etc. That's non-stop developed area. Everywhere you go in LA/OC there's something, some building, houses, etc. You're not going to find that literally anywhere else in the US.

I'm not talking about population or sprawl, but just the contiguous nature of southern California. It's huge.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:21 PM

548 posts, read 473,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Why is that surprising to you? OC is much smaller landwise and can build on a greater % of its land. LA has a giant mountain range running through it and the northern part of the county is uninhabitable desert.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:53 PM

63 posts, read 63,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
maybe it just feels emptier to you? i mean comparing LA to NYC and CHI central city, maybe, but it definitely to me feels massive. But compared with the rest of the top 10 populated cities like Philly, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, San Jose, San Diego, it definitely feels FULL.
Definitely false, but agree with all the rest after it.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:56 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
To me it feels quite urban and very crowded imo. Doesn't look like the typical east coast or midwestern large city. That's quite fine but it definitely feels urban and crowded to me.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:10 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyWhatt View Post
Where certain aggressive drivers will run the other off road or ramp.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 PM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
L.A. is not a lively town like NYC. It just isn't. It started as a city full of midwestern transplants, and it still has some midwestern boring qualities to it. And it is surrounded by beaches and agriculture, kind of redneck even in many ways around the outskirts. There just is not the mass of people in a small enough place to give you that city street vibe. And bars close early. Now granted you have some characters out here who make the place fun, but most people are just hardworking homebodies. You sit in traffic all day and just want to go home and unwind because you have to do it again tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:10 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,875 times
Overall, it's still more lively than any city sans NYC.
There's just too many pockets of activity.

Much of Chicago is the bungalow belt, and those areas are surprisingly quiet.
It reminds me of the valley, just a bit older and denser. But it's pretty car centric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles