Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:52 PM

548 posts, read 473,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I used to go to Pak Mann quite often back in the mid-late '90s (95-98ish). Back then, it was still very much a real coin-op arcade without that internet cafe component (Counterstrike) you are talking about. The eastern section of the building was for vintage machines and bigger machines.
Yeah. Along the east wall was probably 20 computers for the pc cafe area. And after school or on weekends it was PACKED in the early 2000's.

The rest of the place had a huge selection of games. Some of my friends were into InitialD and Streetfighter but I never got hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 AM

47 posts, read 145,563 times
Dave and Busters and Barcade are pretty much the top places over here on the east coast. I see a lot of small towns in NJ that have their own clones of Barcade though. Nobody can really afford to clone as large of a space as Dave and Busters. Hopefully the D&B's and Barcade-type of places out west are just as good, if not better than the places over here.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:37 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
UCLA has its own arcade on campus... I recall it's in the same complex as the bookstore and a cafeteria. Well, it was there about 10 years ago. Not sure if it still exists.
I believe it's long gone, along with the bowling alley. Westworld is gone too. That was the place to be decades ago. There was also a good one down on Pico Blvd. not far from the Westside Pavillion. That's where they had a whole bunch of Dragon's Lair games when it first came out and everybody was like, "No way, it's a cartoon that you can play!"

Old 03-21-2016, 10:29 AM

242 posts, read 493,560 times
Does anybody know if any of these arcades have an original 4 person Gauntlet? Would love to play that again, now that I can afford to play the game as an adult!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
Does anybody know if any of these arcades have an original 4 person Gauntlet? Would love to play that again, now that I can afford to play the game as an adult!
There's a version for PlayStation 2 that is close to the arcade game. It's on a disc called Midway Arcade Treasures. I'm guessing a ps2 plus adapter plus four controllers and the game set you back less than $100. I could be wrong as I haven't checked prices lately

Old 03-22-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
There's a version for PlayStation 2 that is close to the arcade game. It's on a disc called Midway Arcade Treasures. I'm guessing a ps2 plus adapter plus four controllers and the game set you back less than $100. I could be wrong as I haven't checked prices lately
That is just not the same! Nothing beats standing up playing a proper arcade game.

That said, I actually do own a PS2, the last gaming console I have ever purchased. Must of had only 3-4 games, it was mainly a DVD player. If that game supports multiple lives, I might get it and play it by myself.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:20 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
Yeah, I remember video game arcades. But the time they left modern culture while I was in school, kids had no choice but to hang out at the parking lot of Del Taco on a friday night.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
It looks like the only remnants of a video game arcade these days is Dave & Busters.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I was a teen in the 90s and even went to the arcade in the 80s and man I wish these things were still around. The earliest memories of them I have are playing 4 person tecmo bowl, then games like mortal combat and street fighter. I also remember gauntlet! One of my favorite games ever. Oh and Cruisin'USA was a blast too and very popular.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 AM

There are several arcades around LA, mostly inside bars such as Button Mash in Echo Park. I have not gone to any of them because they do not have Gauntlet.

Searching within Arcades for Arcade games Los Angeles, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles