Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,373 times

Advertisements

My 25yo niece is a HUGE Three Stooges fan and is visiting me in LA next week.

I'm already planning to take her to see the stairs in Silver Lake that were in the Ache in Every Stake episode as well as the cemeteries & walk of fame star.

She loves books and other memorabilia; anyone have any lesser known ideas I could check out? Anyone know of any serious collectors in the LA area we could visit?

My niece has Asperger's and is a serious expert in all biographical and episodic information. (If you know someone with Asperger's you know what I mean when I say expert!) Also, she already has the Hollywood Filming Locations book and is bringing that with her.

Any advice is much appreciated! THANKS!

Nyuk nyuk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 06:35 PM

59 posts, read 82,433 times
I know Shemp Howard lived at 4604 Placidia Ave in Burbank not too far from Universal Studios. Hope your niece has a good time!

:-)

Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 PM

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 PM

108 posts, read 118,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthafifi View Post
My 25yo niece is a HUGE Three Stooges fan and is visiting me in LA next week.

I'm already planning to take her to see the stairs in Silver Lake that were in the Ache in Every Stake episode as well as the cemeteries & walk of fame star.

She loves books and other memorabilia; anyone have any lesser known ideas I could check out? Anyone know of any serious collectors in the LA area we could visit?

My niece has Asperger's and is a serious expert in all biographical and episodic information. (If you know someone with Asperger's you know what I mean when I say expert!) Also, she already has the Hollywood Filming Locations book and is bringing that with her.

Any advice is much appreciated! THANKS!

Nyuk nyuk...
definitley the westwood cemetery. Its strange, its small, you can park on the street and you dont even see the cemetery, its a little park between office buildings. And its small, but there are so many HUGE celebs buried there, every few steps youll be amazed. I went with a friend and family and we had to tell him to chill and and quiet down that he needed to remeber where he was because he kept saying oo Peter Falk, oo rodney dangerfield, oo marilyn monroe. There are scores of big names and hardly any walking to do

Old 03-20-2016, 02:21 AM

Great tip, we'll check it out.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,520,072 times
Is your niece into any other famous comics of the same era? If she's into Laurel and Hardy, take her to the Culver Hotel for a meal/drinks/coffee or whatever in the lobby. They show old L&H films silently on the lobby wall (IIRC the early ones were silent anyway). The films were mostly shot in and around that same neighborhood, and as you watch them you'll see that the very hotel in which you're sitting appears frequently as a backdrop. I published a blog post on on downtown Culver City, including the hotel, several years ago

Some of the early Little Rascals films were shot a little north of there, in the Palms district of L.A. Quire a few buildings that appeared in those films still exist. ChrisBungoStudios on Youtube has uploaded then-and-now shooting location summaries for several individual LR films.

Above is a good example to get you started. It's strange to think that the building housing I Love Lucite and Norms Fabrics today was a blacksmith shop 90 years ago. You can learn more about the Norms Fabrics building, and the rest of the neighborhood, in another blog post I published several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles