Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:07 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you will stay . Sounds like you don't really like Glendale but don't seem to like it ?
Maybe a change of neighborhood would help? You mentioned Burbank too , Burbank is right next to Glendale but I think has a better feel overall and feels more family oriented .

I don't live in Burbank but I'm there very often .

Also you said if you are making $200k eventually you won't be able to afford a home ?
If you can live below you means and save and invest money in the meantime for a big down payment you should pretty easily be able to afford a home .
If owning LA property is out of reach now , look into investing into growing areas outside of LA or out of state, only properties that cash flow well of course .
The equity and rental income will help you later on .
Only do this if you can find great deals though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:15 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
I would wait until a better offer comes along. This won't be your last opportunity to leave LA. And it sounds like you know that.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:32 AM

Life is short so it sucks to be unhappy with where you live , of course nowhere is perfect but some people are more attracted or feel better in certain cities .

It can be morbid to think of it this way , but if you knew you didn't have much time left to live would you still be living in LA?
Money is important , and none of us can consistently be happy .. Maybe with pharmaceuticals.. But there is a big difference between being miserable in a place versus not miserable .
Most of us can't have it all .. But we will sacrifice for what we value .
It's a cliche that actions speak louder than words but it's true .

Old 03-25-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I would wait until a better offer comes along. This won't be your last opportunity to leave LA. And it sounds like you know that.
Reminds me of a saying I heard once
" Opportunities are like buses , if you miss one there is another one coming soon"

I think it's also good to have an abundance mentality versus a scarcity one .

Old 03-25-2016, 10:42 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
A factor to consider is your ability to build a savings. If you've been able to build up a significant savings over the years, it'd be good to stay and increase your income. If you haven't, you'd be better off moving to a lower cost of live area where there are less places to spend your money.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,612 times
Thanks for all the opinions. Yes, I don't have much positive to say about living here but I don't hate it. I am a cyclist and my wife and I spend a lot of our recreational time hiking and camping and their is great access to the outdoors and mountains which you don't get everywhere. I do hate a lot about Glendale but we are going to move in a couple of months probably to Burbank which even though it's one town over doesn't provide us with nearly the same frustrations as Glendale

We do live below our means so we should be able to save more with my increased salary and always revisit relocation later. One of our important factors is our kid's education and the environment she grows up but luckily we have about 4 more years until that really is an issue.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Check out the Canejo Valley and you will never want to live in the city again.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Check out the Canejo Valley and you will never want to live in the city again.
I think that's probably further out of our budget and it would be a horrible commute to Burbank

Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,815 times
How about option 3....find a job in a nice place where the COL is not exorbitant. As long as you aren't one of those people who wants the weather to be 75 degrees all of the time, you should check out Denver or Portland. Your money will go a lot further and you won't spend half your life sitting in traffic.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
How about option 3....find a job in a nice place where the COL is not exorbitant. As long as you aren't one of those people who wants the weather to be 75 degrees all of the time, you should check out Denver or Portland. Your money will go a lot further and you won't spend half your life sitting in traffic.
I'd love to move to Denver. But I work in television/entertainment and my job experience is specific to the industry so my earning potential would not be nearly as high outside of that industry. I did try to get a job at NBC in Centenial but it didn't work out. Denver also seems to be on its way up in COL. Seems like a lot of people from CA have been moving there plus the weed industry and now being named city with best quality of life it is only going to attract more people. Real estate will probably never be as bad as LA but I'm betting it will keep rising and so will traffic as more people move there. But I agree that Denver or even Colorado Springs would check most of the boxes for us if I could find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles