Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 08:48 PM

28 posts, read 35,467 times

Advertisements

I know the secession proposal had failed in 2002 for the San Fernando Valley to break off from the city of Los Angeles and become an independent city, but what about the city of Los Angeles making a contract with Southern California Edison to serve electricity to the San Fernando Valley section of the City of LA?

It would result in the LADWP to only serve water to the Valley, and reroute their transmission power lines to along Muholland Drive to get to the Pacific Palisades substation.

It will result in Southern California Edison buying out LADWP's existing electrical infrastructure in the Valley; including replacing LADWP's power poles with SCE's power poles and new wires, buying out LADWP's electrical substations, transmission line right of ways, and buying out LADWP's power plant in Sun Valley, Los Angeles.

I think this proposal would be good for residents of the San Fernando Valley for a desire to leave the city.

What do you guys think? Do you think it's much better than a secession proposal for the Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Aren't ladwp rates cheaper than Edison? Why would I want to switch if it would cost more?

Old 04-05-2016, 05:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Aren't ladwp rates cheaper than Edison? Why would I want to switch if it would cost more?
But what about the increased hikes in water and electricity in Los Angeles lately, including the billing system?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
But what about the increased hikes in water and electricity in Los Angeles lately, including the billing system?
And the DWP's threats of 14 days of blackouts due to Porter Ranch?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:03 AM

601 posts, read 755,415 times
From someone who's recently rented in both areas:

SoCal Eidson SUCKS. I can't even begin how bad they suck. I'm paying over double (for electricity) for basically the same square footage I had in LA, and our power goes out practically every two weeks! Their customer support people are useless, and the company refuses to compensate or look at our meter for errors. The astronomical rates they charge for their ****-poor service should be criminal.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:07 PM

The reason why SCE and the city of LA should make a contract deal, is because the San Fernando Valley residents need a desire to leave the city of LA and it's poorly maintained electrical infrastructure so it can have a feel of living in another city outside of Los Angeles city limits. LADWP electric rate hikes can also be another reason.

Southern California Edison has a very good maintained electrical infrastructure while LADWP has a poorly maintained electrical infrastructure. I live within LA city limits and their overhead power lines look like crap; even if they made their power poles metal and upgraded, they still look like crap. Southern California Edison's overhead power lines look very beautiful and nice looking. I wish I would love to see those everyday where I live.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:28 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Dude, you think edison would magically start burying power lines or changing out the poles if they took over the valley? really? there are plenty of other cities outside the city of LA that still have the same wooden overhead power lines that get power from edison. any city with housing dating back to the 50s or earlier looks pretty much the same as the valley.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Dude, you think edison would magically start burying power lines or changing out the poles if they took over the valley? really? there are plenty of other cities outside the city of LA that still have the same wooden overhead power lines that get power from edison. any city with housing dating back to the 50s or earlier looks pretty much the same as the valley.
SCE power lines and LADWP power lines look very different. You can tell by the look of the pole transformers, look of the insulators on the power poles, look of the risers on the poles, and etc.

Edison's power pole transformers have both the high voltage bushings on the top of the transformers, and LADWP's pole transformers have the high voltage bushings on the sides of the transformers, and there are more differences between the two electric utilities. That's the difference between So Cal Edison's and LADWP's overhead power lines, and that's why So Cal Edison has nicer looking overhead power lines.

Last edited by LAMetroArea747626; 04-06-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
From someone who's recently rented in both areas:

SoCal Eidson SUCKS. I can't even begin how bad they suck. I'm paying over double (for electricity) for basically the same square footage I had in LA, and our power goes out practically every two weeks! Their customer support people are useless, and the company refuses to compensate or look at our meter for errors. The astronomical rates they charge for their ****-poor service should be criminal.
C'mom, don't sugar-coat it. Tell us how you really feel!

Old 04-07-2016, 01:30 AM

601 posts, read 755,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
C'mom, don't sugar-coat it. Tell us how you really feel!
Paid for a power in a 700 sq foot apartment in LA. Average bill was around 40 bucks a month.

750 sq foot apartment in an SoCal Edison area. Our average bill has been around 90 dollars a month. We have the EXACT same living sitution, working hours, appliances, and electronic devices as before.

You bet I'm pissed!!

And I'm not really exaggerating when I say the power goes out every two weeks. Every time there's a TINY bit of rain, wind, or storm, the power goes out 1-3 times. SoCal Edison is a joke and should be shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroArea747626 View Post
I wish I would love to see those everyday where I live.
If you have enough spare time to regularly look at the electrical fixtures in your neighborhood...I pity your boring life? XD;;;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles