Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:51 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times

Advertisements

takes me 17 mins to drive to work and 20 mins to my apt from work in the PM.

i have all the amenities i need in my building and everything else i need is within 1 mile of where i live.

the traffic during the weekends is a lot better than during the week... so i barely deal with it at all.

the goal is to live close to where u work. if u can't, then it'll be absolute hell and it'll deteriorate your health.

personally, if i couldn't live close to work, i'd move out of LA.........or id get a job close to where i live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM

317 posts, read 403,648 times
It sure beats me up after awhile. I usually go back home to take a nap on a day off from the sun beaming down on me for hours in my car. I also drive with my top down pretty often too.

Other than that, the traffic in LA doesnt bother me at all, even owning a manual trans. I've adjusted to the driving style immediately after moving here and came to realize right away this is what you deal with here. LA drivers from what I gather are much less agressive and willing to let you in compared to NJ drivers. But they also have a bad habit of driving at the same, slow speed, no matter if the traffic cleared or not. I love driving though. I usually take my car out on canyon roads when I have days off.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:37 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
I am wondering if any Los Angelinos can actually tolerate heavy traffic?? I mean like spending over 4 hours/day in traffic and sometimes more.
I don't know anyone who does this, or anything close to it, and I can't imagine what it would be like. The longest commute I ever had in decades of working in L.A. was 45 minutes one way....and I thought that was bad!

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
takes me 17 mins to drive to work and 20 mins to my apt from work in the PM.

i have all the amenities i need in my building and everything else i need is within 1 mile of where i live.

the traffic during the weekends is a lot better than during the week... so i barely deal with it at all.

the goal is to live close to where u work. if u can't, then it'll be absolute hell and it'll deteriorate your health.

personally, if i couldn't live close to work, i'd move out of LA.........or id get a job close to where i live.
Sounds like you planned life perfectly. Did you happen to find your apartment first and found your job, or vice versa? This is exactly how I aim to position myself when I relocate there later this year.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:54 PM

198 posts, read 211,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
It sure beats me up after awhile. I usually go back home to take a nap on a day off from the sun beaming down on me for hours in my car. I also drive with my top down pretty often too.

Other than that, the traffic in LA doesnt bother me at all, even owning a manual trans. I've adjusted to the driving style immediately after moving here and came to realize right away this is what you deal with here. LA drivers from what I gather are much less agressive and willing to let you in compared to NJ drivers. But they also have a bad habit of driving at the same, slow speed, no matter if the traffic cleared or not. I love driving though. I usually take my car out on canyon roads when I have days off.
Drivers less aggressive...you are kidding. Im from Boston.....they are nicer there!
I got my answers....guess some people can deal with it, or at least pretend to as this is a very politically correct board.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't know anyone who does this, or anything close to it, and I can't imagine what it would be like. The longest commute I ever had in decades of working in L.A. was 45 minutes one way....and I thought that was bad!

Yes, that is the MAX anyone should drive BUT that is not always the case...........and this is not just about work commute.....
I think people on this board are fooling themselves or they just arrived here and convince themselves "all this is just okay", dont complain grin and bear it......
Try going anywhere at anytime....not just work!! Apparently people here dont mind spending half their afternoon on the 405....

Old 04-01-2016, 03:14 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I think people get seduced by the idea of being able to live in L.A., and they figure they can put up with a long, awful commute. However, when they do that daily grind over and over, year after year, the stress builds.

I can't understand the people who live in the Antelope Valley just so they can own a home. The 14 is packed by 6:00 a.m., and there's also that bottleneck at the 5.

I was thinking of moving further out to decrease my rent, but even as far away as Oxnard and Ventura, the prices wouldn't justify the longer commute. I'd just be putting more wear and tear on my car, and I'd probably end up with a Xanax prescription!

Old 04-01-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I think people get seduced by the idea of being able to live in L.A., and they figure they can put up with a long, awful commute. However, when they do that daily grind over and over, year after year, the stress builds.

I can't understand the people who live in the Antelope Valley just so they can own a home. The 14 is packed by 6:00 a.m., and there's also that bottleneck at the 5.

I was thinking of moving further out to decrease my rent, but even as far away as Oxnard and Ventura, the prices wouldn't justify the longer commute. I'd just be putting more wear and tear on my car, and I'd probably end up with a Xanax prescription!
Thank you....first sane response.....I very much like the Ventura area and always looked for work in that direction but ended up on the boarder to OC......thought I could tough it out, but NOOOOO.....traffic never goes away and worked grave yard a few times and the 5 north was already packed with big trucks....bumper to fricken bumper....at 5:30 am.

BTW, my house is for sale and I am trying, I say trying to head back to New England......not Boston, that city is a different kind of nightmare...lol

Old 04-01-2016, 03:54 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
I totally agree. I live in DTLA and work in SM. After an extremely busy day at work the last thing I want to do is sit in bumper to bumper traffic. By the time I get home it's dark outside, which I find to be rather depressing. Within the next two months I plan on moving to Santa Monica, I will ride my bike to work, the gym, and home. This will free up my time and make living in LA a much better experience for me. Shouts out to the LA metro for finally making SaMo accessible.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:03 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
Apparently people here dont mind spending half their afternoon on the 405....
I think they do!

"I’ve been having a recurring dream. I’m driving down the 405 from Santa Monica to Irvine as traffic speeds up, slows down, or stops entirely, and I’m always in danger of being late. Then I wake up—and it’s time to make the trip for real..."
Your LA Commute May Be Hazardous to Your Health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles