Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:59 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times

Advertisements

You gotta give some newcommers a tour of the city but you gotta give them what they dont see on TV. Where do you them?

Downtown? The subway? Food spots? Koreatown?

Basically you gotta show them the real Los Angeles as a City and not the Hollywood media crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:09 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Downtown, Los Feliz, Pasadena, the loudest arena in the NHL, plenty of good areas. I always recommend the LA City Hall observation deck Downtown, which is free and offers great views as well as a history lesson.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:13 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

Basically you gotta show them the real Los Angeles as a City and not the Hollywood media crap.
Why? If people want to be depressed, they don't need to travel somewhere to do so. I think most people do want to see the Hollywood media crap -- lest why come here in the first place? When people go to Disneyland, do they want to see the pedophiles? When they go out to dinner, do they want to see what happens in the kitchen? When you visit somebody in a retirement home, do you want to watch them have a sponge bath?

People want to see what appeals to them, especially if they're paying money to do so.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Why? If people want to be depressed, they don't need to travel somewhere to do so. I think most people do want to see the Hollywood media crap -- lest why come here in the first place? When people go to Disneyland, do they want to see the pedophiles? When they go out to dinner, do they want to see what happens in the kitchen? When you visit somebody in a retirement home, do you want to watch them have a sponge bath?

People want to see what appeals to them, especially if they're paying money to do so.
Of course people want to see the Hollywood stuff. That doesn't mean that's all they want to see though.

Maybe they do want to check out ethnic restaurants in neighborhoods with large numbers of Asians or Hispanics.

Maybe they would like to ride the train just to have the experience.

Maybe they would like to check out houses in other parts of the city.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
You gotta give some newcommers a tour of the city but you gotta give them what they dont see on TV. Where do you them?

Downtown? The subway? Food spots? Koreatown?

All of those places and more. There's a lot of see in LA. It's nice to take the train to experience getting around in LA. I don't think any tourists would want to rely on it exclusively because it doesn't cover nearly enough areas, but just to see that it's there and that Los Angeles has major transit expansions in the works can help.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
OP, I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 PM

387 posts, read 511,725 times
I would say the first visit to LA is the typical tourist stuff and then the second visit would be deeper into the native lifestyle/local secrets of Greater Los Angeles.

Snapchat does a horrible job at showing what LA has to offer.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 AM

317 posts, read 403,493 times
I agree. I moved here 2 months ago and work in Beverly Hills. All its taught me was to ignore that crap and hangout on the other side of LA. I enjoy hanging out/driving in the more rundown sides of LA alot more. Dont get me wrong, some places are sketchy (macarthur park, some parts of downtown) but I love the dirty city feel of those areas, including hollywood. I've found even in the ugliest of neighborhoods there is still some amazing view of the mountains in the distance, palm trees, and sunny weather. On the west side it's strip malls of chain businesses in boring typical architecture. In the "slummy" areas its mom and pop shops within buidlings still built from the 50's or earlier. I'll take the latter.

Thats not to say I dont visit Venice, Santa Monica, Malibu, drive down sunset, or drive up the coast. Those places are also incredible. But I've found myself on the otherside more often than not.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

That's a borderline-impressive troll post, buddy.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:32 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
They also may want to visit the Bradbury Building, which is featured in various films, the most prominent being Blade Runner. And Blade Runner, of course, is an absolutely brilliant film as we've all come to agree in the movie forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles