Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I never went to any LAUSD school, but I always wondering when did the district start becoming a disgrace.
I went to LAUSD and it was when California schools were the envy of the nation. We had 80 nationalities in my elementary school and the some kids had parents who worked at JPL, on the spaceshuttle, etc. We had kids with fairly famous parents too. We had high standards.

My school in Hollywood became a magnet school after my first year, and believe me, we got an excellent education (if placed in enrichment courses, which I was).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I never went to any LAUSD school, but I always wondering when did the district start becoming a disgrace.
Prop 13 and busing, a double whammy which hit simultaneously

Old 04-11-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I think if the Valley would have been successful in forming its own city, or at least it's own school district, that the "Valley ISD" and LAUSD would be better off today. As it is right now, I agree, just way too big.
Valley secession wouldn't have affected LAUSD.

As far as I can tell the last LAUSD territory to leave the district was in 1993 when CCUSD annexed Fox Hills.

L.A. School Board Lets Fox Hills Area Secede : Education: The action will allow residents to send their children to Culver City schools. Historically, the L.A. district has resisted secession efforts. - latimes

Last edited by majoun; 04-11-2016 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The US President gets even more perks, and with those perks for a private citizen to live like that, that person would need to have income of 30 million a year. The President gets free food, free domestic service, free armed guards, free transportation including free airforce flights, paid for travel expenses, etc.
True, but most of those benefits like security are necessary because of the job. I don't think the LAUSD superintendent needs their own secret service team,etc .

Also i'm sure when they have to travel by plane or whatever those expenses are covered by LAUSD too, not out of their own pocket.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
You guys are cheap as hell compared to where I live, you can still find houses and condos for the 200s in bad neighborhoods. Could never do that here.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You guys are cheap as hell compared to where I live, you can still find houses and condos for the 200s in bad neighborhoods. Could never do that here.
Cheap as hell?
Median home price in L.A is over $450,000 right now. Median home price on the Westside is OVER $1 million now.
Houses in the 200s? not really in the city of L.A even in the worst neighborhoods...
Condos you can get in the 200s but it's going to be more mid 200s or high 200s, depending on size of course and neighborhood.

It was much easier during the 'housing crash' , but prices have gone up quite a bit because real estate is cool now..and the media isn't talking nonstop about toxic mortgages and how real estate is a terrible investment.

Where do you live?

Last edited by jm1982; 04-11-2016 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Houses in the 200s? not really in the city of L.A even in the worst neighborhoods.
Condos you can get in the 200s but it's going to be more mid 200s or high 200s, depending on size of course and neighborhood.

Where do you live?
Bay Area Peninsula. You're not even looking at the ghettos for 600g.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Bay Area Peninsula. You're not even looking at the ghettos for 600g.
Oh ok, yeah I know SF is insane...does the Bay Area Penisula include Oakland though?
I know parts of Oakland are considerably cheaper than SF. I remember looking at homes online during the crash for practically nothing and knew that wouldn't last. It was an amazing once in a lifetime buying opportunity.
A lot of homes are 300% more than they were during the crash now.

The city of San Francisco is very small compared to L.A .
It would be more fair to compare it to the Westside, or a part of the Westside of L.A where homes are $1million+

Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Oh ok, yeah I know SF is insane...does the Bay Area Penisula include Oakland though?
I know parts of Oakland are considerably cheaper than SF. I remember looking at homes online during the crash for practically nothing and knew that wouldn't last. It was an amazing once in a lifetime buying opportunity.

It would be more fair to compare it to the Westside, or a part of the Westside of L.A where homes are $1million+
I'd say the West Side is still cheaper than the suburbs like Menlo Park or Belmont.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Oakland's East Bay, Alameda County. The Peninsula is San Mateo County, in between the City and Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles