Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm 19 and currently live on Long Island and go to school, also working a part time job. So for the past few months I've been thinking of moving to California. At first I thought San Diego but then I thought L.A. would be much cooler so I decided on there. I'm not sure on when to go though. I could always finish community college here and then transfer to a 4 year school over there. However, I know that it's difficult to get into a school in a different state since I would be an out of school student. I'm just so sick of Long Island and pretty much over of going to NYC from time to time. I'm seriously considering leaving everything behind here (except my cat, I love that guy) and starting a new chapter in my life. I long for blue skies, warm weather, and beautiful sunshine. (Lol yes I know California does get some rain).I just feel like in my heart, that's where I'm supposed to be. Only problem is that I don't know when would be a good time to actually move out there? I'm going to LA this summer with my dad for a vacation and to see if I really like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
A good time would be after you finish school. We probably are going to have $15/hr minimum wage soon but one bedroom apartment are also $1500+ in decent neighborhoods

Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
Just to be clear, you've never visited Los Angeles?

First, you should make sure you really want to move here. Second, you should do your research; look at schools, figure out what you'd like to major in, if you haven't done so already, look at neighborhoods, etc. You also need to save a nice amount of cash (at the VERY least, $5,000), and finish some college there in New York. That's what I'd recommend.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:22 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,690,115 times
Quote:
At first I thought San Diego
Don't discount the San Diego area. If you want to be in the middle of a great party scene then check out La Jolla. A whole bunch of bars all walking distance apart.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:26 AM

317 posts, read 403,823 times
I recently moved here 2 months ago with that same attitude and my life here has been a rollercoaster. so many ups and downs, and all in such little time. But many of it has to do with me, and not LA itself.

It hard moving on your own, especially across country, but although its been hard, hardly any of it hs had to do with LA itself. LA absolutely takes the cake over NY. There is no comparison. Its rough in many areas, but a city surrounded by huge mountains, palm trees, beaches to the west, incredible scenery, and all with great weather? I'll take it over NYC any day.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:50 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Keep in mind that if you are planning on coming here to attend school that the state system is significantly more expensive for out of state. $13,400/year for CA residents and $38,108/year for non resident. You have to live here for a year to establish residency so you may have to find a cheaper option for a year or finish school where you are first

Old 04-05-2016, 07:48 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
A good time would be after you finish school. We probably are going to have $15/hr minimum wage soon but one bedroom apartment are also $1500+ in decent neighborhoods
That's about what it runs in the Northeast... and may even be a bargain for a Long Islander...

Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
OP, I was born in NYC and than later we moved out to Long Island. So I can identify with your post.

I wanted to live in LA since I was 15(first time I visited), the dream became a reality when I was 26. But I got my degree, had a couple of years of work experience under my belt, and as Raven said saved money and moved. I also have extensive family out here.

It was still tough, that was in the late 80s. I won't tell you not to do it. But you haven't even visited yet. See what you think, and just don't do touristy stuff.

Than go back to NY, finish your education(getting a useful degree) and revisit the idea.

If after visiting and you find you still have the desire after a few years than go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles