Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
The entire northern half of Alhambra is UPPER middle-class and gorgeous. Likewise for the northern part of Eagle Rock.
There looks like a sizable band of high performing schools running east and west, almost centered on Huntington Drive from the Alhambra area up to Santa Anita racetrack.

California School Performance Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,224 times
Default Alhambra and Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You do not even know what you're talking about. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but have you been to some of these places?

The entire northern half of Alhambra is UPPER middle-class and gorgeous. Likewise for the northern part of Eagle Rock. The southern half of Alhambra is middle- to lower-middle-class, and has no gangs - just maybe a generation newer to these shores.

Long Beach is a huge city of 500,000; and has beautiful areas as well as challenged areas, as would be the case with any city of that size.

I'll give you Highland Park, though; it is pretty challenged. The southern portion of Eagle Rock can be a bit dodgy as well.
Yes, I know what I am talking about. I have been to all of those cites. I said most of Long Beach. I worked there for 5 years. North, Downtown, Signal Hill and Southern Long Beach toward San Pedro has the homeless, gangs, graffiti and crime. Those parts, the city did not project the population growth. Especially off of Pacific Ave. As a result it is high density, cramped apartments and houses, and very narrow streets and intersections. The better part of Long Beach is Belmont Shores, Ocean Blvd, and the area near CSULB. Alhambra is what I was talking about in regards to middle class. It is off of the 10 Freeway near some lower income and less desirable towns like Monterey Park and East LA. Even though a lot of parts look nice, there are many immigrants. (Asians & Hispanics). If the city's demographics show a high foreign or minority population, it is not considered middle or higher class even if the incomes and housing prices are the same or higher than average. It is the same with Buena Park in OC. That used to be considered a middle class city with modest homes. The demographics changed and now it is considered lower class even though it is the same houses and the residents have average or above average incomes.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-06-2008 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There looks like a sizable band of high performing schools running east and west, almost centered on Huntington Drive from the Alhambra area up to Santa Anita racetrack.

California School Performance Maps
I think the area you described is Arcadia.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:41 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
If the city's demographics show a high foreign or minority population, it is not considered middle or higher class even if the incomes and housing prices are the same or higher than average. It is the same with Buena Park in OC. That used to be considered a middle class city with modest homes. The demographics changed and now it is considered lower class even though it is the same houses and the residents have average or above average incomes.
Only caucasians can be middle class?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Apparently

Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
If the city's demographics show a high foreign or minority population, it is not considered middle or higher class even if the incomes and housing prices are the same or higher than average.
How racist can anyone be??????

Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
I think the area you described is Arcadia.
Alhambra, South Pasadena, San Marino, and THEN Arcadia.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:43 PM

164 posts, read 606,874 times
Quote:
If the city's demographics show a high foreign or minority population, it is not considered middle or higher class even if the incomes and housing prices are the same or higher than average....The demographics changed and now it is considered lower class even though it is the same houses and the residents have average or above average incomes.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on this forum. So you're not using the term "middle class" as an economic term, but as a euphemism for "white neighborhood". If so, call a spade a spade and say "white neighborhood".

Ignoramus.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Question Middle class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
According to the census. Yes. I know it didn't seem right to me either. Cities like South Gate, Lynwood, Huntington Park and Paramount were the middle class American dream cities after WWII and into the early 60's. The houses are the same ones that people are living in now.The people have average incomes or slightly higher. Those cities are not middle class anymore because the demographics changed. Many of its former residents have passed away or moved to the Inland Empire or to Northern CA. No city that has 90% minority or foreign population would be called middle class because of the gangs and crime. One of the exception is the Sunny Hills section of Fullerton, CA which has a high Asian Population and expenisive homes. That is a higher-middle class city. Do not kill the messenger. It is the city data census, not me.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on this forum. So you're not using the term "middle class" as an economic term, but as a euphemism for "white neighborhood". If so, call a spade a spade and say "white neighborhood".

Ignoramus.
Don't kill the messenger. Income is not the only factor in demographics. That is the census description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles