Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Judge bars LA from seizing and destroying homeless people’s property

" A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction today barring Los Angeles police and sanitation officers from seizing and destroying homeless people’s property without sufficient notice. What is considered sufficient notice? lol

U.S. District Court Judge S. James Otero also ordered the city to segregate and store impounded belongings where they can be recovered, the Los Angeles Times reported."

Has this guy seen the "belongings" that homeless are littering our streets with?

This moron lacks any common sense. I wonder if he's even been through Skid Row or East Hollywood or the other many areas of the city where the homeless have taken over the streets , shopping carts and everything else with their belongings...why are the 'homeless' allowed to leave litter and trash...but if someone else does it it's considered littering with a big fine?..

This is so damn frustrating!
_____

A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction today barring Los Angeles police and sanitation officers from seizing and destroying homeless people’s property without sufficient notice.

U.S. District Court Judge S. James Otero also ordered the city to segregate and store impounded belongings where they can be recovered, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The city will be allowed to confiscate or destroy contraband, crime evidence and hazardous material or rat-infested property posing public health and safety issues, Otero ruled, according to The Times.

The injunction applies to skid row and “adjoining areas,” the Times reported.

The City Attorney’s Office is evaluating the court’s order, Rob Wilcox of the City Attorney’s Office told City News Service.

Shayla R. Myers, a staff attorney with the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles said, “The court’s order makes it clear that the city cannot keep putting homeless people’s lives in jeopardy by taking and throwing away their tents, blankets, medication, and other items they need to survive.”

“The court recognized, yet again, that the United States Constitution protects homeless individuals’ property, and that the protection of these rights is critically important for individuals who are compelled to sleep on the sidewalks in Los Angeles,” Myers said.

Four homeless individuals and two groups sued the city last month, alleging enforcement sweeps of homeless encampments have led to false arrests and property seizures without due process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:16 PM

He works in Downtown L.A...he should know better. I bet he lives in a nice area like Brentwood or someplace though far away from the homeless tent cities.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
If anyone thinks destroying the homeless people's junk will solve any problems they've got a screw loose.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:32 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
The homeless gotta live too.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
I'm glad I don't live in a city full of homeless.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I'm glad I don't live in a city full of homeless.
I'm glad I have a home.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The homeless gotta live too.
Don't have a problem with the homeless...only a problem with people living out an episode of the tv show Hoarders out on the public streets.

Also don't have a problem with the homeless...just people that yell loudly in public , make verbal and physical threats and scream profanities.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:49 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Like I said, someone should supply the homeless with tents and bus them to camp out on Mr Otero's sidewalk.

He is truly an imbecile.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Like I said, someone should supply the homeless with tents and bus them to camp out on Mr Otero's sidewalk.

He is truly an imbecile.
Yeah that's a great idea..I mean obvious he think it's a great idea to let the homeless take up the sidewalk with their 'belongings' .

The situation is already bad...but now it's going to be a lot worse around the city.

I can't imagine anyone really thinks this is a great thing that has seen this around the city.

They are also using private property ...shopping carts..which belong to businesses for their stuff..so right there it's stolen property..
and what happens when those nasty carts get back to the grocery store ...people put their food and kids in them?

How is that sanitary or not a public health issue??

Old 04-14-2016, 07:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Otero is probably having sushi with the ACLU lawyer and Garcetti right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles