Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM

53 posts, read 75,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There's a lot of theory going around in this 'debate' ...and talks of "Greedy corporations" that "Make billions"

Here is a real life example of the kind of small mom and pop business in L.A that most likely will be put out of business with a min wage hike.

Fast Food Hamburger Stand: Business For Sale in North Hollywood, Los Angeles County, California, United States on BizBuySell.com
Fast Food Hamburger Stand: Business For Sale in North Hollywood, Los Angeles County, California, United States on BizBuySell.com

The business owner is only netting $45,000 a year...how much will they make when they have to pay their employees $15hr?

Do you think a business owner that has operated their business for 15 years!...and makes $45,000 a year is GREEDY?

If you look at the sales of this business they are $190,000 a year in sales. But the profit is only $45,000 a year. ...and before you say .. "Well the owner must SUCK at running a business!" ... 23.6% profit is in the range for businesses of this type.
Yes that "greedy" business owner is charging a big $6 for their burger...but they only make about $1.38 profit on it after all the expenses!

The owner ..who is probably working at least 40 hours a week is only making
$21.6 per hour....for being the OWNER!

If they are putting in more than 40 hours per week..of course that means they are making less than that per hour.

Now do you guys see why small business owners aren't happy about this min wage hike?..

The business is listed as having 3 employees...so if this business closes those 3 people will be out of work.

It's a tough political issue. I can imagine how difficult it would be to survive on minimum wage (in LA) since even a $15 wage would still be difficult to carve out a life here. Yet on the flip side, many small businesses will be in situations similar to the one you described.

I come from a family that ran both a retail clothing store as well as two fast food restaurants. The clothing store barely scraped enough money to pay the rent despite paying the workers minimum wage. A mall opened nearby which drove us out of business, and we lost everything we put into it and then some. The fast food restaurants did a little better but the narrow margins meant that they were making roughly $60k a year (inflation adjusted) while paying our cashier minimum wage and our cook $11.00 an hour. And this was while keeping the place open 80 hours a week. If we had paid $15 to each employee, we would have had to close the restaurant down.

Overall, I lean against the $15 minimum wage. It will put many small, low margin shops out of business. I read a few LA Times articles that mentioned the hardship of waitresses, bell boys and bartenders living on minimum wage without mentioning that they receive tips as additional compensation (that often doubles or triples their take home pay).

Yes there are business that rake in tons of money that can easily afford to spread the wealth to its minimum wage employees, but the potential pitfalls of the $15 wage on a macro level are too great a risk in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 11:19 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I know there are a lot of people struggling , but a lot of people don't seem to realize that small business owners struggle too.
The big global chains will still survive most likely even if they had to close all of their L.A or California stores.
They have their stores in the other states and in Asia , Europe and elsewhere to sustain them and their investors.

There just seems to be a very anti-business / anti landlord attitude in this city.

Maybe if the L.A Times and the media shared more stories like your story , people might have a better understanding of the whole issue.

I'm sure many small business owners are the same as you, you'd love to pay staff more..but really can't afford it AND remain profitable.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:01 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
So I'll ask again. How much should a 16 year old flipping burgers get paid. I've asked this 3 times now and not gotten a single response.
I'll answer that.
A 16 year old flipping burgers who is being coddled under their parents/guardians roof should not be paid $15/hr along with ADULTS who have ADULT bills to pay such as rent, child care, utilities, car payment, etc.

That $15/hr minimum wage should not apply to minors who work because they don't need it as much as adults living on their own.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:12 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
I know there are a lot of people struggling , but a lot of people don't seem to realize that small business owners struggle too.
The big global chains will still survive most likely even if they had to close all of their L.A or California stores.
They have their stores in the other states and in Asia , Europe and elsewhere to sustain them and their investors.

There just seems to be a very anti-business / anti landlord attitude in this city.

Maybe if the L.A Times and the media shared more stories like your story , people might have a better understanding of the whole issue.

I'm sure many small business owners are the same as you, you'd love to pay staff more..but really can't afford it AND remain profitable.
Excellent thread, good job, keep it up. You are providing useful information. You don't seem overly liberal nor conservative either, rather you are doing the research, sharing it, and using common sense.

Its interesting that some of the folks against you are really good at calling you names, attacking your character, denying your facts, and ignoring your arguments. Don't give up, don't let them control, manipulate, or bully you into giving up.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I'll answer that.
A 16 year old flipping burgers who is being coddled under their parents/guardians roof should not be paid $15/hr along with ADULTS who have ADULT bills to pay such as rent, child care, utilities, car payment, etc.

That $15/hr minimum wage should not apply to minors who work because they don't need it as much as adults living on their own.
So should the adult who has savings and no debt and works at McDonalds get paid less than the guy who has a crack addiction, can't pay his rent, and drives a financed BMW?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:54 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Excellent thread, good job, keep it up. You are providing useful information. You don't seem overly liberal nor conservative either, rather you are doing the research, sharing it, and using common sense.

Its interesting that some of the folks against you are really good at calling you names, attacking your character, denying your facts, and ignoring your arguments. Don't give up, don't let them control, manipulate, or bully you into giving up.
You consider opinion and speculation pieces useful information? Useful for feeding uninformed minds that rely on ideologies what they crave to hear, I suppose.

Meanwhile, in seven threads on this topic in the California forums alone, four or five of which were started by jm, data-based information has been repeatedly presented demonstrating the overwhelming fallacies of the OP positions.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Yes. Because random anecdotal stories represent the totality of a large, complex issue.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So should the adult who has savings and no debt and works at McDonalds get paid less than the guy who has a crack addiction, can't pay his rent, and drives a financed BMW?
Speaking of mythological creatures?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I'll answer that.

There is merit to consider in this. Some of the foreign countries performing well under much higher minimum wage bases do have lower provisional wage levels for minors. This allows the business owners to employ some percentage of their workers at adjusted rates.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
no one is saying that: but there are very few people working at fast food restaurants that are sole support of their families. We all know this. Comparing a full time worker anywhere with a kid just starting out is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles