Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You simply regurgitate the same talking points in every post, there's really no point on trying to discuss this with you.
So facts based on the reality of actual small business owners are now talking points ? Really ?

This is the reality of the situation yet many are choosing to ignore it or be in denial .

Even Jerry Brown , knew this was a mistake but he finally gave in to mounting pressure from the unions . He was against it before he was "for" it.

If the goal is to motivate small businesses that employ working class residents to leave along with those workers then it looks like it will be a success .

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise for these workers to get out of high cost area and maybe move somewhere where they might not have to spend most of their income to live in high crime ghetto areas with failing schools and parks where their kids can't play because of the belligerent and psychotic homeless run by "progressives "

Only thing they are doing is making things progressively worse..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 03:25 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So facts based on the reality of actual small business owners are now talking points ? Really ?
Your so-called "facts" are demagogy. You're trying to fit data to a theory and it's painfully obvious that's exactly what you're doing. Your latest example fizzled out: AA are not leaving because of the impending wage increase and nothing in the links you provided says they are.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 PM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Minimum wage is only $10.50.

American Apparel has been in the red for a long time. It's a failing company. No one buys their stuff. Everyone prefers brand name merchandise.

If AA was such a successful company, they wouldn't have sold their business. Instead, they would have MOVED to the poor red states. Like most failures do.

AA SOLD their business to a Canadian company. Which is keeping the CA location. Nothing to do with minimum wage.

There is a mass layoff coming. But that's due to no one buying AA stuff. Sears is also in the red. But that due to the company not getting enough sales.

Nothing to do with minimum wage here.

----------

2017 is starting to look like horrible year for American Corporations. Thanks Donald Trump! Good job.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Your so-called "facts" are demagogy. You're trying to fit data to a theory and it's painfully obvious that's exactly what you're doing. Your latest example fizzled out: AA are not leaving because of the impending wage increase and nothing in the links you provided says they are.
Did you mean to respond to me ? My post said that American Apparel grew too fast and took on too much debt but that the business environment likely didn't help .
Where did I say they went out of business because of the $15 min wage law?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
This is the reality of the situation yet many are choosing to ignore it or be in denial .
Even Jerry Brown , knew this was a mistake but he finally gave in to mounting pressure from the unions . He was against it before he was "for" it.
If the goal is to motivate small businesses that employ working class residents to leave along with those workers then it looks like it will be a success .
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise for these workers to get out of high cost area and maybe move somewhere where they might not have to spend most of their income to live in high crime ghetto areas with failing schools and parks where their kids can't play because of the belligerent and psychotic homeless run by "progressives " only thing they are doing is making things progressively worse..
Jerry Brown "knew" it was a mistake? Not quite JM, here's what he really said:

“Economically, minimum wages may not make sense,” Brown says in a video posted online by the Sacramento Bee newspaper. “But morally, and socially and politically, they make every sense because it binds the community together.”

The cost of beef doubled in 3 years, why didn't you go on a rant about that? Food costs are the single highest expense in food service.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:08 PM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Quote:
Did you mean to respond to me ? My post said that American Apparel grew too fast and took on too much debt but that the business environment likely didn't help .
Maybe from the stupid Title? lol

Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Wasn't this your post?

Quote:
Sure it's not $15 today but it will be $15 in a few years. $15 hr by 2020 in LA It will be going up each year too until then. Businesses usually look out at least a few years out .
I posted recently about an apparel maker in San Fernando ,CA . He calculated that he will be LOSING $200,000 by staying so he's headed out of state Maybe a tech company will replace his space ( who knows )but his former employees won't be able to qualify for those jobs most likely . Maybe the space will sit vacant because it will be harder to find someone to occupy it. I know the pro $15 crowd always shouts , who cares we don't need those working class jobs! But many people depend on those working class jobs .

Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Jerry Brown "knew" it was a mistake? Not quite JM, here's what he really said:

“Economically, minimum wages may not make sense,” Brown says in a video posted online by the Sacramento Bee newspaper. “But morally, and socially and politically, they make every sense because it binds the community together.”

The cost of beef doubled in 3 years, why didn't you go on a rant about that? Food costs are the single highest expense in food service.
How does imposing an arbitrary $15 wage making businesses unprofitable to the point where they have to move out of state entirely bind the community together ?

That's just a bunch of "progressive " hogwash.

The governor of the state admitted it doesn't make sense economically and did it anyways and you think that's a great thing ? Really ?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Maybe from the stupid Title? lol
title of thread said Apparel industry . As I mentioned multiple times already American Apparel had their own issues .

Old 01-17-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Wasn't this your post?
Yes that was my post .. it was in regards to a small Apparel company NOT American Apparel .

It was a about an article written by an actually business owner .. but of course the left never wants to listen to those that actually are running this businesses and pay the employees pay checks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles