Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Bottom line is I have showed examples of why the hike is bad for business and thus bad for employees.
I have a strong understanding of the manner.

You keep insisting that big hikes in the minimum wage and 50% in 4 years is a BIG hike...are great for the economy. Can you show me a time that this has happened before in Los Angeles or another U.S city even?

Still waiting for that. I've already shown you how it's bad for business AND for employees that lose their jobs.
What you're missing is none of the posters that are roughing you up run a business. To them it's all peaches and roses, $15/hour just happens out of nowhere and has zero negative impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 04:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Sure not every small business is going to be effected . The sole proprietor electrician or plumber or boutique Venture capital firm like you said .
We all know the types of businesses that will be affected you see several of them on each block or strip mall in LA.
The burger place , the kabob place , the pizza place , the dry cleaners etc

Old 04-20-2016, 04:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The minimum wage increase hasn't hit anyone yet.
What are you talking about? The minimum wage has been increasing the past few years. Not too long ago it was under $7 an hour and now it is $10. In 6 years it will $15. I don't know about you but my employer offers us anywhere from 2% to 4% increases a year. Nothing like what those making Minimum wage are getting. This is out of control. Its not too hard to take a room of sewing machines and move them to New Mexico or Texas.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Sure not every small business is going to be effected . The sole proprietor electrician or plumber or boutique Venture capital firm like you said .
We all know the types of businesses that will be affected you see several of them on each block or strip mall in LA.
The burger place , the kabob place , the pizza place , the dry cleaners etc
Yes, food service is one of those industries that still has good mix of independent small mom and pop operations, and large chains.

But a lot of the whole in the wall places are run on day to day basis by the owners themselves. The really high end successful places I sure earn enough to pay back of the house staff, or the owner will just have to be his own chef.

Everyone else just going to have to increase volume, or scale back workers, or offer better product and services to bring in more money. At least now they know a whole large segment of the population will be making more and can afford a bit more

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 04-20-2016 at 04:54 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 05:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What are you talking about? The minimum wage has been increasing the past few years. Not too long ago it was under $7 an hour and now it is $10. In 6 years it will $15. I don't know about you but my employer offers us anywhere from 2% to 4% increases a year. Nothing like what those making Minimum wage are getting. This is out of control. Its not too hard to take a room of sewing machines and move them to New Mexico or Texas.
Right and every year there is going to be an increase even in a couple months this summer min wage will go to $10.50 ... A 5 percent increase in 6 months !
Prices are going to get pretty high and many poor and middle class will probably scale back on eating out .
Not too many places can stay in business catering only to the 1%ers or wealthy .

Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Howed you like to be the 26th employee?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:11 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Actually there are a lot (millions) of small businesses in L.A and CA that's why this min wage hike will be so devastating to the economy.

A lot of people don't realize how many small independently owned family (or mom and pop) businesses there actually are here. The big national or global chains like McD's get all the attention in the press.

California has over 3.6 MILLION small businesses with over 6 MILLION employees...When the Pro $15 crowd says this will just effect ' a few or handful' of businesses I realize they are out of touch..
https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/fi...02014-15_0.pdf
You continue to amuse. Do the math and what do you find? The average small business employs 1.666 workers. Um, that means, other than the owner, there is on average .666 employees each.

Now, since we know there are many small businesses that DO have more than .666 employees, we can understand that a HUGE percentage of those 3.6 million businesses are sole proprietorships employing no one other than the owner.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
What you're missing is none of the posters that are roughing you up run a business. To them it's all peaches and roses, $15/hour just happens out of nowhere and has zero negative impact.
I ran my own small business for nearly 35 years. The poster here who has not run a business is: jm.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Right. Better to pay New Mexico wages to Angelinos who will have to suppliment their pay with welfare that you pay for as well.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Right and every year there is going to be an increase even in a couple months this summer min wage will go to $10.50 ... A 5 percent increase in 6 months !
Prices are going to get pretty high and many poor and middle class will probably scale back on eating out .
Not too many places can stay in business catering only to the 1%ers or wealthy .
This prediction in spite of the fact that what you suggest will happen has not anywhere else in the world that pays even much higher wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles