Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:22 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What years did you grow up in the Atlanta area? I have never heard of GA Tech having Confederate-related frats. There was one at Kennesaw State in 2011.

Places I've seen the Confederate flag flown: Paulding County, and Douglas County.

As for New Orleans, that is a different city. Far different from Atlanta.
I lived in ATL from 2006 to 2011. New Orleans is still in the South and was in the Confederacy. I live near Jefferson Davis Parkway. We should take this to another forum though cause I don't want to HiJack this thread with something that has nothing to do with Armenians.

Last edited by jamills21; 05-02-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I lived in ATL from 2006 to 2011. New Orleans is still in the South and was in the Confederacy. I live near Jefferson Davis Parkway. We should take this to another forum though cause I don't want to HiJack this thread with something that has nothing to do with Armenians.
I just mentioned tjat I'd rather see an Armenian flag than a Confederate. Different ideologies behind the two.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:29 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not really thrilled by seeing any flag other than the US flag. I think you should assimilate to whatever country you're in. If Mexico or Armenia is so great then by all means show yourself the door then. I'm really not offended by them, I guess I'm just curious as to why they are here in the first place???
Why can't an immigrant be proud of their heritage and happy to be in America? Why is it one or the other? Do you apply this simplistic, black and white "logic" to all things in life?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
I'm not really thrilled by seeing any flag other than the US flag. I think you should assimilate to whatever country you're in. If Mexico or Armenia is so great then by all means show yourself the door then. I'm really not offended by them, I guess I'm just curious as to why they are here in the first place???
I'm not really thrilled by seeing most American flags being proudly displayed on rollin' coal trucks by backwards hicks and bigots, often together with Confederate crosses. If they dislike the current U.S. guv'mint so much, why are they here in the first place?

You see how this logic can backfire?

Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I'm not really thrilled by seeing most American flags being proudly displayed on rollin' coal trucks by backwards hicks and bigots, often together with Confederate crosses. If they dislike the current U.S. guv'mint so much, why are they here in the first place?

You see how this logic can backfire?
Sounds like apples and oranges here. I do think the Confederate stuff is definitely more charged. But people born here whether rednecks or not flying an American flag isn't the same as what I presume are foreigners flying another countries flag. I'm not really all that worked up it. If i were going to assimilate into another country I'd probably forgo flying an American flag. But whatever works for people.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:43 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Sounds like apples and oranges here. I do think the Confederate stuff is definitely more charged. But people born here whether rednecks or not flying an American flag isn't the same as what I presume are foreigners flying another countries flag. I'm not really all that worked up it. If i were going to assimilate into another country I'd probably forgo flying an American flag. But whatever works for people.
Of course it was hyperbole; there's no direct comparison available. But there's nothing wrong with recognizing your heritage and there isn't necessarily a direct correlation between doing that and disliking the country in which you currently reside.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 AM

169 posts, read 186,882 times
Maybe because it's a free country, OP?

Also, for the ignorant on this thread, being one nationality doesn't necessarily mean you have to/want to live in that country. You can be proud of your nationality but not the country itself because the state of the country is ever changing. Two different things.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:50 PM

72 posts, read 35,847 times
Anyway, there's an Armenian guy who drove around with BOTH an American and Armenian flag on his car. I say that that's the proper way to do it.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:39 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbiter79 View Post
Anyway, there's an Armenian guy who drove around with BOTH an American and Armenian flag on his car. I say that that's the proper way to do it.
I would have let him cut in front of me in traffic if I saw that.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I don't see the big deal with flying an Armenian flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles