Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
The melting pot never happened, boyo. People will always gravitate to similar people. Just as an example, what are the demographics of the neighborhood you live in?
Didn't know you were a Social Justice Warrior.

The melting pot did indeed happen - if it didn't there'd still be Irish and Italian neighborhoods, and a lot more Jewish neighborhoods - and to some extent it still is happening despite the best efforts of the radical left.

The neighborhood I'm in right now has had non-Latino whites, Latinos, and Asians for years, including when I was growing up. The exact percentages have varied through the years, with the non-Latino white percentage going up lately due to hipsters and Silicon Beach. This is true of a lot of LA neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 02:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Another thing I thought about these flags , I just saw a car with them get onto the freeway..I was thinking it's kind of a hazard actually...what happens if one of those flags comes off at 70 or 80 miles an hour?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Why is it OK for Armenians to fly Armenian flags on their cars?
The First Amendment.

[/thread]

Old 04-22-2016, 03:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Its all cultures under one flag.

Its more of, "I came here but I havent forgotten about the people I left. So im atill rooting for them ao one day they make it here too."
Exactly.

In any case I don't find the Armenian flag to be threatening. I'm fine with it. If people want to fly a flag of a country we're not at war with, fine, as long as they're not threatening anyone else.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:10 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I would never consider moving to another country and flying the American flag on my car and draping a flag on my hood. I don't think it would be acceptable in any other country to drive around the flag of any other country. If you are that proud of your country, why did you leave?
Is there a reason you're picking on Armenians? You haven't noticed the Guatemalans, Ecuadorans, and various other expats living in the US with their country's flag decals on their cars, or on their jackets? Most people don't care. I'm trying to understand why you do.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:17 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Everybody in the US is an immigrant or a descendent of immigrants, including Native Americans who happened to get here way before the rest of us, and many of us identify with our own or our ancestors' roots. No big deal except for those people who don't like immigrants, and think their version of American culture is the only acceptable version. Others aren't nearly so strait-jacketed by their prejudices.

The melting pot works just fine, just not nearly as fast as some ignorant people want it to work. Most grandchildren of immigrants only speak English and maybe a smattering of generally unacceptable in polite company words and phrases of their "mother tongue". They may or may not celebrate some ethnic holiday traditions; may or may not practice their grandparents' religion; and celebrate their ethnic heritage with lots of other Americans on Chinese New Year, St Paddy's Day, Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Fourth of July, Columbus Day, and Thanksgiving ... to name a few.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:20 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
It's not illegal, you can put up an American flag on your car or home in other nations. At leads normal countries, not Iran or North Korea.

I see nothing wrong with Armenians placing their flag on their cars they do it every April to commerate the Armenian Genocide. Takes nothing away from America.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:21 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
You should know why they do it every April, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DISRESPECTING THE UNITED STATES. God you people are butthurt, learn then express feelings.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:50 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Cool. I support Armenians who want to waive their flag. I can certainly relate to other "ethnic Americans" who feel closer to their ethnic heritage than to the directionless culture of the cosmopolitan United States. In my case, I couldn't possibly make myself not care about or relate to Ukraine.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
The OP's selective outrage toward Armenians is blatantly obvious. Little does he know but they are planning a huge privately funded Armenian cultural center next to the condo he has purchased in Santa Clarita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles