Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 AM

29 posts, read 20,515 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I have been living in south FL my entire life, and for about 4 years now have been wanting to make the move over to CA. I have been there, and I understand it is more costly to live there. I also know I can manage myself financially. has anyone else made the switch from east to west coast? I plan to hoard away about 20k for the move and rent to ensure I want to settle there. Meanwhile save up in case I choose to stay. I don't like the humid SFL weather, the constant raining, I need more outdoor leisure in my life and the west coast clearly has a better opportunity for me in that aspect. I feel like I am trapped here, and every time I go visit the desire to make the switch grows. Has anyone else moved from east coast to west coast or been in a similar situation? Also, what area would you recommend that would be somewhat more cost effective and not horrible? The people on the west are just much more polite, respectful, and I am just overall in a better spirit there. Would like all the input I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,090,784 times
I'm no population expert, but it seems the majority of LA transplants stemmed from situations comparable to yours. Including myself. If you're financially capable of making the move and have spent significant time in LA testing the waters, go for it.

As far as living recommendations, what is your bare minimum criteria? Rent$? Car situation? Job location? This will help posters provide recommendations.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,387,412 times
Good morning!
I know South FL pretty well as I have had family that lived there and also lived/worked in South FL for a bit.
There really is a big pretty big difference in cost of living between L.A and South FL.
Not just with housing, but also gas prices and sales tax. Sales tax here is 9% now in L.A , I think it was like $6 in South FL?

It sounds like you probably have an idea of what things cost in L.A since you've visited and probably done some research.
Are you planning to rent or buy in L.A?

It's hard to say what areas would be cost effective without some kind of budget in mind.
The westside in general is very expensive now, with Santa Monica being the most expensive.

I think Burbank is a nice place to live, I live near there ..but not in there and spend quite a bit of time there. It's a really safe area and has good police and services.
Nearby Glendale could also be a good bet if you want to live closer to Downtown.
The thing that's nice about Burbank is that it's livable and clean ,but you are still close to Hollywood other parts of the city that have more nightlife and stuff. Burbank has a lot of nice mom and pop type businesses and tons of shopping too.

Besides that I'd say Valley Village is another area that is good (for renting). Pretty safe , and it's close to burbank, Studio City, Sherman Oaks but less expensive than those areas.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you planning to rent or buy in L.A?
The OP said he/she was planning to rent until figuring out if LA was a place they would want to settle for the long term.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,387,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The OP said he/she was planning to rent until figuring out if LA was a place they would want to settle for the long term.
Ok sorry , overlooked that.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkedem1 View Post
Good morning, I have been living in south FL my entire life, and for about 4 years now have been wanting to make the move over to CA. I have been there, and I understand it is more costly to live there. I also know I can manage myself financially. has anyone else made the switch from east to west coast? I plan to hoard away about 20k for the move and rent to ensure I want to settle there. Meanwhile save up in case I choose to stay. I don't like the humid SFL weather, the constant raining, I need more outdoor leisure in my life and the west coast clearly has a better opportunity for me in that aspect. I feel like I am trapped here, and every time I go visit the desire to make the switch grows. Has anyone else moved from east coast to west coast or been in a similar situation?.
Where in Miami (or South Fla) do you live?

I grew up in LA but I have visited Miami 5 times (4 vacations and 1 business trip) and I've been all over Florida (from the keys to the panhandle). There are a few posters on C-D that have lived in both places that could give you some perspective. I like Miami but I agree the humidity and rain are two things I don't like.

Quote:
I feel like I am trapped here, and every time I go visit the desire to make the switch grows. Has anyone else moved from east coast to west coast or been in a similar situation? Also, what area would you recommend that would be somewhat more cost effective and not horrible? The people on the west are just much more polite, respectful, and I am just overall in a better spirit there. Would like all the input I can get.
How much can you afford to spend on rent? What line of work are you in?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:27 PM

29 posts, read 20,515 times
Sorry for the delay, I am writing to clear up my situation. Making about 55,000 a year single. I am 23, still finishing my BA in business admin. I want to move out by myself, and I understand it will take over 20,000 saved away just to play it safe. It will be my first major move and I am going to be in CA for a week and a half in late august. So if anyone can give me some useful advice on what areas to explore and what not it would be great. I have heard good about Burbank and surrounding areas. But any input would be appreciated. Would be looking into a long-term lease (12months or so at a time) not looking to spend much over $2300 and it will just be me and my Belgian Malinois (so it would have to be pet friendly). I have also heard it is more affordable to live in Northern CA. I am open to all reasonable opinions and input. I plan to stay in the automotive industry as I am currently employed by Honda Motor comp.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, I am writing to clear up my situation. Making about 55,000 a year single. I am 23, still finishing my BA in business admin. I want to move out by myself, and I understand it will take over 20,000 saved away just to play it safe. It will be my first major move and I am going to be in CA for a week and a half in late august. So if anyone can give me some useful advice on what areas to explore and what not it would be great. I have heard good about Burbank and surrounding areas. But any input would be appreciated. Would be looking into a long-term lease (12months or so at a time) not looking to spend much over $2300 and it will just be me and my Belgian Malinois (so it would have to be pet friendly). I have also heard it is more affordable to live in Northern CA. I am open to all reasonable opinions and input. I plan to stay in the automotive industry as I am currently employed by Honda Motor comp.
$55,000 a year and you are willing to spend up to $2,300 per month on rent? It is your life but that is a bit rich for what you make.

No, Northern Calif. (read: the San Francisco Bay Area) is MORE expensive than LA.

Fresno, Bakersfield and the Inland Empire are cheaper than LA.

Yes, Burbank is a good area....kind of boring for a 23 year old but it is safe and you can probably find a one bedroom in the $1,600 to $2,000 range.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 PM

908 posts, read 1,298,381 times
If you want to live in a suburban area that is still within close proximity to areas with nightlife has as Downtown LA, Hollywood, I'd suggest areas such as Burbank or Glendale.

At $55K/year, you're definitely good to go as far as coming to LA, especially if you're single. However, I think $2,300/month for rent is pushing it. That would amount to half of your pre-tax income, which is too much to spend on rent alone. By the time you spend money on rent plus bills and other necessities, you'll barely have anything left to save. And since you're only 23, you want to start putting at least 10% of your money in a 401k plan.

I would not spend more than $1,800/month on rent. You can find a decent number of places in good areas around that price point. Now if you end up finding a job in LA that brings your salary up around $60K, then I'd say spending $2,000/month would be fine. Still a little high, but if you highly value good housing and spend a little less in other areas, then it makes sense.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:09 PM

145 posts, read 401,222 times
Agree with the above comments re: your salary to rent ratio. It's your decision, but I'd consider having roommates to save money on rent (and allow you to sock away a little money for the future). I personally wouldn't spend $2k+ on rent unless I made over $80k/year, but that's just me. Especially in a city where a car is necessary (basically anywhere outside of NYC for the most part with a few exceptions). Lots of costs associated with a car payment, insurance, gas, etc. Taxes are MUCH higher in CA than FL as well (which as you know has no state income tax).

Just my $.02 - not trying to be a buzz kill. Ultimately, you'll want to live fairly close to where you'll be working. Traffic is no joke in LA and it can easily take 1+ hour to travel 10-15 miles at rush hour if you're going the same direction as everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles