Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 PM

12 posts, read 11,082 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to move to LA from southwest MI hopefully by spring time '17. I have been researching and thinking about moving out there for years and I think it's about time.

I work in healthcare. Currently I work as a Nurse technician at a big hospital. I also have a CNA license and worked as a CNA for about 3 years. All together I have about 5 years healthcare experience in different settings and areas of expertise, from psych to mother/baby and women's health, which is what I am currently doing and would like to continue doing.

I am trying to save about 6 months of expenses before I move and I will be trying to find a job before I move, but I know how much of a small chance of landing a job from out of state will be, hence the 6 months expenses saved up.

The only thing I really worry about is the pay and the cost of living. From what I've seen pay is about the same as I am currently making which is about $12-15 and I'm not sure if that will be enough for the cost of living there.

So, I was wondering if that kind of pay is enough to live there and if there is a big job market in that area for CNA's or nursing technicians/assistants. I'm hoping to go back to school after a year of living there for nursing, so it wouldn't be forever, but for a pretty good period of time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 12:38 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
It's mainly about how much rent you'll be paying. Search Apartments.com around the area you'll be working.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
There are CNA's here, but have never heard of a "nurse technician." Are you sure that job title exists in CA?

You would need roommates. Working for a registry (a medical staffing temp agency) would boost your CNA salary, if you're willing to commit to commuting and have a good car.

Also, check with the state for licensing, CA tends to have higher requirements.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacat07 View Post
I work as a Nurse technician at a big hospital. I also have a CNA license and worked as a CNA for about 3 years.
Lots of CNAs here, although you're right; it doesn't pay particularly well. Here's a link to nurse technician jobs. Apparently you must be enrolled in some type of RN program for some of the positions.
Nurse Technician Jobs, Employment in Los Angeles, CA | Indeed.com

Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
I am hoping to move to LA from southwest MI hopefully by spring time '17. I have been researching and thinking about moving out there for years and I think it's about time.

I work in healthcare. Currently I work as a Nurse technician at a big hospital. I also have a CNA license and worked as a CNA for about 3 years. All together I have about 5 years healthcare experience in different settings and areas of expertise, from psych to mother/baby and women's health, which is what I am currently doing and would like to continue doing.

I am trying to save about 6 months of expenses before I move and I will be trying to find a job before I move, but I know how much of a small chance of landing a job from out of state will be, hence the 6 months expenses saved up.

The only thing I really worry about is the pay and the cost of living. From what I've seen pay is about the same as I am currently making which is about $12-15 and I'm not sure if that will be enough for the cost of living there.

So, I was wondering if that kind of pay is enough to live there and if there is a big job market in that area for CNA's or nursing technicians/assistants. I'm hoping to go back to school after a year of living there for nursing, so it wouldn't be forever, but for a pretty good period of time.

Thanks!
Why not apply to nursing school in California directly, and make sure you get in and have the financials worked out, and then move to California? $12-$15 an hour is going to be tight long term, and a year is definitely long term.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:41 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why not apply to nursing school in California directly
Acceptance to nursing school in CA is very competitive. Also, wouldn't the OP have to pay out of state tuition until she is a resident here?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why not apply to nursing school in California directly, and make sure you get in and have the financials worked out, and then move to California? $12-$15 an hour is going to be tight long term, and a year is definitely long term.
I would have to pay out of state tuition, which is why I would wait a year after moving to start going back to school and then I could hopefully get tuition reimbursement from an employer also.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
There are CNA's here, but have never heard of a "nurse technician." Are you sure that job title exists in CA?

You would need roommates. Working for a registry (a medical staffing temp agency) would boost your CNA salary, if you're willing to commit to commuting and have a good car.

Also, check with the state for licensing, CA tends to have higher requirements.
"Nurse technician" is just the fancy name for CNA in the hospitals here.

Roommates is something I'm used to and was figuring I was going to need. Most likely multiple roomates. Thank you for the tip about medical staffing temp angencies. I didn't realize that it boosts CNA salaries. I do have a good car that I will be bringing.
I did check for licensing and it doesnt seem like to much I a problem for getting reciprocity for CA.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:30 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
"Nurse technician" is just the fancy name for CNA in the hospitals here.

Roommates is something I'm used to and was figuring I was going to need. Most likely multiple roomates. Thank you for the tip about medical staffing temp angencies. I didn't realize that it boosts CNA salaries. I do have a good car that I will be bringing.
I did check for licensing and it doesnt seem like to much I a problem for getting reciprocity for CA.
You're in Michigan, why not buy a 2000 square foot home on 15 an hour?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You're in Michigan, why not buy a 2000 square foot home on 15 an hour?
Because Michigan sucks. I just bought a 1000 sq. Ft. trailer last year. I'm just ready to move. Beyond ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles