Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:29 PM

830 posts, read 2,859,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
L.A. and traffic go hand in hand. Travel time depends on what time of day you are traveling. You probably want to try somewhere around CSUN itself (it's nice you can find something inexpensive) and prepare to spend about 30 to 45 min going to Hollywood or Burbank. If you take Ventura instead of the freeway you'll make better time. Trust me though, you don't want to live in the middle, you'll spend more time on the road than you want to. Btw the bus system is a joke... you'll spend two hours trying to get from CSUN to Hollywood.

My girlfriend lives near CSUN. She works in Beverly Hills. She takes the bus. Takes an hour on the bus on a normal day. Hollywood is even further. So you would be correct on the two hour time frame. Not fun me thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
Default I have a room for rent near CSUN...

I have a room here in Reseda, quiet neighborhood, lush yard, close to CSUN.
Just me and the dogs and I am very clean.
Shared bath.

Laundry/Utilities included.

Be Well

D

Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
My advice: Live in the Valley but only west of the San Diego (405) Freeway. If I were you I would try to live near school.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:53 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
I used to go to CSUN and lived in Valley Village at the time...not fun due to traffic. Take Dabeez advice and move closer to school; it will save you a lot of heartache. I ended up changing universities later on (partially as a result of the commute). If you choose to move to NoHo, you can take the 170 FWY, but only so far, then you'll have to take surface streets going West. This is what will take most of your time. Another option is going even further to the 118 and then getting of on Reseda, but I found it took roughly the same amount of time. Don't even think of taking the 101 and driving up Reseda....not fun at all, especially in rush hour.

Again, I understand you want to be near Hollywood, but I think you need to weigh how often you'll be going to CSUN versus Hollywood. If CSUN is 5 times out of the week and Hollywood is on weekends, then stay in the Northridge vicinity. Save your sanity. If the situation is the reverse with CSUN only a couple times a week and a regular visit to Hollywood/Burbank, then NoHo is probably a good locale smack dab in between the two.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Traffic: A lot of traffic is caused by trying to drive either east or west under the 405 freeway. The traffic is bottlenecked by the relatively few streets going through past the freeway, vs. the ones that don't have underpasses.

Solution: Don't try to cross the 405 freeway during commute hours.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
im going there in Fall 09! im so excited! they have an urban planning club, a great food court, nice people, and its not that bad of a campus. only problem is its big and a commuter school, but they do have their first time freshmen experience.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
I agree with those that say stay close to the school, at least for now. If, later on, you start picking up internships in NoHo, Burbank, Studio City, Hollywood, etc...then consider a move maybe to NoHo, near the Red Line, but for now save the commute time and the headache and just be near the school =)

Also note that you could just as easily end up with internships in Westwood, Culver City, Santa Monica, etc...which means living near CSUN actually puts you closer (driving distance) as you'll be just down the 405 from those places...still not an instant commute, but not bad at the right times of day.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Cal State Northridge has lowest graduation rates among NCAA tournament teams | LA Wave Newspaper | News (http://www.wavenewspapers.com/news/41359787.html - broken link)

Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM

364 posts, read 990,969 times
My two cents reiterate what has been said - Live close to school! As a graduate of CSUN, I can easily say what a godsend that would be (I lived in Granada Hills and I was soooo glad I did). Nowadays, you have production companies all around the L.A. area so there really isn't one perfect place to live.

So - live close to school when going to school and live close to work when you find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles