Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times

Advertisements

Long term hotel or airBnB. If you do a rental company for 3 months you are going to pay out the you know what as others have mentioned. Short leases are costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Long term hotel or airBnB. If you do a rental company for 3 months you are going to pay out the you know what as others have mentioned. Short leases are costly.
Just for fun I looked at what an extended stay hotel would cost and it's dizzying. A three-month stint at the Extended Stay America in Glendale would be close to 15 grand.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Just for fun I looked at what an extended stay hotel would cost and it's dizzying. A three-month stint at the Extended Stay America in Glendale would be close to 15 grand.
That's insane. I know some of those places you have to call to get the long term deals. If you just do it online it'll just do daily price x number of days.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:33 AM

22 posts, read 20,084 times
I definitely need relocation assistance. Everything is expensive from PA.

Overall - 33% higher expenses.
Groceries - 4 % higher
Housing -122% higher
Utilities - 2 % higher
Transportation - 8% higher
Healthcare- 20 % higher

I don't know about AIRBNB, I'll check it out.

Can anyone suggest a good apartment complex from your experience.

I appreciate and thank you for taking the time to help us out.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:56 AM

581 posts, read 920,783 times
Unless you burned your bridges in PA I would suggest you stay put until you really understand what it's going to cost you to live very modestly in Southern California.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
for short term rentals, there is an oakwood apartment complex in the burbank area, which is not far from glendale. i'm not sure what the rent prices will be, but they will definitely have 3-6 month rentals. as for safety, this is LA after all and crime happens, though odds are it won't affect you, especially in glendale. you really can't go wrong with glendale if you have a family unless you don't like armenians for some reason.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That's insane. I know some of those places you have to call to get the long term deals. If you just do it online it'll just do daily price x number of days.
Yeah, I'd think you could negotiate it down some, but OP would need a discount of 50% from the rack rate at least and I just don't know how realistic that is. And even still, she will then be stuck in one room, not an apartment.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 AM

I was actually looking at random apartment complexes in the general area yesterday, so here are some suggestions (disclaimer: these are NOT short-term).

South Pasadena. Basic, but decent and even has what at first pass appear to be hardwood floors (though could be laminate). Glendale is a fairly short drive away.

Pasadena proper. Looks waaaaay too good to be true, but I'd check it out anyways and then run, not walk, to rent there if it's legit (hell, if places like this still exist, I might consider that move back to L.A. after all). Great location and price. Looks like it's a condo, so you'd be dealing with either the owner or his/her agent. Just make sure it's not a retirement community or something.

Hawthorne Apartments, Glendale proper, by the Galleria (huge shopping center). Looks decent, also "hardwood" floors.

You get the idea. Go to PadMapper and look around - you can definitely find a place in the $2K price range if you're not uber picky. Short-term leases might be tougher, though, but you can at least find out what it would cost you to break a lease early, provided you don't mind that hanging over your head in your rental history.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchaw View Post
We are a young family from Pennsylvania. Now got a Job opportunity in Glendale, CA and moving to CA in couple of weeks. Exited for the move. Did a bit of research and scared as Glendale,CA 91203 has a high crime rate and the apartment rents are way to high.. Can you believe, Here we are paying $1000 for 1200 sq ft apartment and now see $2000 for 650 sq ft.

Looked up couple of apartments online in the area of Burbank and Village city, which I felt quite safe. The rents are very high ($3000-$3500) and only few of them are offering short term lease. (3-6 months). Are there any other areas that you might recommend?

Can you please suggest some good neighborhood which are max 20-30 mins drive from Glendale-91203, safe and kid friendly and yes I can not afford the rent more than $2000. Don't wanna take a risk, For a start Planning to get short term lease 3-6 months and eventually will extend the lease. School is not a concern yet. Both of us and our kid also love nature a lot. Would prefer apartment near Parks, recreational areas Places where we can do fun things with kid (age- 2 yrs)

Your suggestion would be highly appreciated.Thanks.
I don't know where you're getting $3,000 a month for rentals. My cousin rents in Burbank and is paying $1,700(total) for a nice two bedroom/two bath. Has only been there a couple of years.

As another poster said maybe you should stay put. I mean who accepts a job before doing research on the area?

Which makes me doubt this is a real thread.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 20,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
for short term rentals, there is an oakwood apartment complex in the burbank area, which is not far from glendale. i'm not sure what the rent prices will be, but they will definitely have 3-6 month rentals. as for safety, this is LA after all and crime happens, though odds are it won't affect you, especially in glendale. you really can't go wrong with glendale if you have a family unless you don't like armenians for some reason.
Thanks, I'll check out oakwood apartment. I tried for Valley apartments, they have 1bed/1bad for $1900/12 months( I think). I tried reaching them multiple times but nobody responded.

Seems like LA is sellers market. I'll try Glendale today and see if I can find anything and no I don't have issues with Armenians or any community. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles