Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 PM

66 posts, read 104,966 times

Advertisements

Hi OP,
I'm Black or whatever you call us (Lol). I am a transplant from Atlanta. In my humble opinion, one has to REALLY want to live in LA to uproot and relocate here. First, the COL and housing is no joke compared to Atlanta. One has to want to pay high rent prices no matter what to enjoy what LA has to offer. Fortunately, I found living arrangements that were comfortable enough for me here in LA that were similar to living in my 4 bdrm home in Atlanta. I don't think I could ever live in an apartment with noise above, below, and beside me. All in all, one has to really want to be in this city, pay the high prices, deal with the traffic to leave a more compatible and affordable environment. I am blessed that I can afford to live here in a nice environment, but trust me, if I had to struggle in any way, I'd be out! It just is not worth it , better to visit throughout the year. I think many Blacks don't choose to relocate here basically because of the high COL and rent! Much better in other places in the country unless, like me, you were ready for a change, willing to pay the COL, and your income can support you comfortably here in California. I do not see myself here forever, but for now, I love it! Best wishes!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterease View Post
Hi OP,
I'm Black or whatever you call us (Lol). I am a transplant from Atlanta. In my humble opinion, one has to REALLY want to live in LA to uproot and relocate here. First, the COL and housing is no joke compared to Atlanta. One has to want to pay high rent prices no matter what to enjoy what LA has to offer. Fortunately, I found living arrangements that were comfortable enough for me here in LA that were similar to living in my 4 bdrm home in Atlanta. I don't think I could ever live in an apartment with noise above, below, and beside me. All in all, one has to really want to be in this city, pay the high prices, deal with the traffic to leave a more compatible and affordable environment. I am blessed that I can afford to live here in a nice environment, but trust me, if I had to struggle in any way, I'd be out! It just is not worth it , better to visit throughout the year. I think many Blacks don't choose to relocate here basically because of the high COL and rent! Much better in other places in the country unless, like me, you were ready for a change, willing to pay the COL, and your income can support you comfortably here in California. I do not see myself here forever, but for now, I love it! Best wishes!

This is pretty reasonable. COL is a big factor no matter the race. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy LA as a black person though.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:07 PM

123 posts, read 146,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Do you want to see Blacks out here or not? Not all of South Central is dangerous to visit. This isn't the 80's and 90's. A lot of areas in South Central are historic even. USC is located in South Central, with the majority of the students being White and Asian. They don't seem to have a problem with it.
Dude, I guess I have to get over the stereotypes that are in my head. We've heard a lot of negativity about those areas through the years while living on the east coast.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
Dude, I guess I have to get over the stereotypes that are in my head. We've heard a lot of negativity about those areas through the years while living on the east coast.
Lol...I lived in ATL for 5 years. Went to da house. Lived in Bankhead. You'd be surprised by east coast ignorance. South LA is a big place so generalizing the whole area like that is a big mistake but people have already made up their minds.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:19 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Lol...I lived in ATL for 5 years. Went to da house. Lived in Bankhead. You'd be surprised by east coast ignorance.
I know a Buckhead. Is Bankhead the ghetto version?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 PM

123 posts, read 146,246 times
Quote:
Lol...I lived in ATL for 5 years. Went to da house. Lived in Bankhead. You'd be surprised by east coast ignorance.
That's why I'm here. Exploring for myself and coming to my own conclusions.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I know a Buckhead. Is Bankhead the ghetto version?
Yes...I mean, Not all of the west end is ghetto. The area around Morehouse is pretty ghetto but they got rid of a lot of the housing projects in the area in favor of student housing. It's still pretty dicey though. It's worse than South LA IMO. I've seen some ish.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 PM
PDF

Quote:
Yes...I mean, Not all of the west end is ghetto. The area around Morehouse is pretty ghetto but they got rid of a lot of the housing projects in the area in favor of student housing. It's still pretty dicey though. It's worse than South LA IMO. I've seen some ish.
Oh OK. I was there for 1 day back in August, although I was mainly in Buckhead but did check out Downtown.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Oh OK. I was there for 1 day back in August, although I was mainly in Buckhead but did check out Downtown.
buckhead is nowhere near bankhead. Zone 1.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 PM
PDF

Quote:
buckhead is nowhere near bankhead.
Yes, I know. I wasn't implying it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles