Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

Could anyone with personal experience comment on how their salary changed when moving from a high cost of living area like San Fran, LA or NYC to a lower cost of living area, assuming a lateral or minor promotion (i.e. Engineer III to Engineer III/IV)? I have a job offer in LA, and the job interests me but I don't think I want to stay there for more than 5 years due to the distance from family. I was wondering if I would see any lasting salary benefit if I moved there, got the higher salary associated with the high cost of living, then moved back closer to home (Midwest) where the cost of living is less. Do companies try to at least maintain your current salary at your high cost of living location or do they not take it into consideration at all? I'm particularly interested in the aerospace sector. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:52 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
I can't answer your question but I'm a Ca native and lots of my friends etc have moved out of the state and they all say if you move out you will never be able to come back because the cost of living is so high here. I'm curious to see the responses because a lot of companies are moving to other states and I wonder if they keep paying the high wages to their employees relocating

Old 05-02-2016, 03:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahoma456 View Post
Could anyone with personal experience comment on how their salary changed when moving from a high cost of living area like San Fran, LA or NYC to a lower cost of living area, assuming a lateral or minor promotion (i.e. Engineer III to Engineer III/IV)? I have a job offer in LA, and the job interests me but I don't think I want to stay there for more than 5 years due to the distance from family. I was wondering if I would see any lasting salary benefit if I moved there, got the higher salary associated with the high cost of living, then moved back closer to home (Midwest) where the cost of living is less. Do companies try to at least maintain your current salary at your high cost of living location or do they not take it into consideration at all? I'm particularly interested in the aerospace sector. Thanks!
Generally speaking, the salaries offered by any of the cities you've listed don't follow proportionally to the cost of living (COL). You will still be on the short stick.

Example: I'm currently living in LA, used to work as an SW Engineer I in aerospace industry started at 67K, finished at 70K. Total 2 years of experience gained.

With the 2 years of experience, I left and started the master's program and recently received a job offer in Phoenix, AZ also as Systems Engineer I. They offered me 75K plus sign on bonus.

You can see just from doing simple math, the COL difference between Phoenix and LA is pretty big with housing making up the biggest difference (2 - 3x to rent the equivalent/3x - 4x to buy the equivalent roughly). Except the salary difference is only 5K or about 7%. Even if you take away the 2 yrs of experience and my MS degree, from googling around, the average salary I can expect is somewhere between 60-70K.

If you compare the COL difference (not just daily expenses, but differences in taxation too), you're still poorer by accepting a higher salary in LA than in Phoenix. For me, the math is a no brainer, Phoenix will get me farther financially.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Living in Phoenix is a no brainer except for the fact that you'd have to live in Phoenix

Old 05-05-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Living in Phoenix is a no brainer except for the fact that you'd have to live in Phoenix
As everyone says in real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

I will generally agree but up to a certain limit. There are limits to everything, nothing is infinite, including money.

The first thing to recognize (which many people who live here deny cause apparently they can't do math or use their brain?) is that there exists a price to pay for living in SoCal cause of location and that price premium is insanely high. This doesn't include the daily hassel of traffic and overall general crowdedness.

Then the next thing is to ask, how high is too high. I've seen too many people who become housepoor, and literally do nothing except work and pay their mortgage/rent. I don't know about you, but I might as well commit suicide if that was going to be the rest of my life. I've seen this situation happen far too often, with people complaining they don't have money to take their family on vacations, or go out more often (my parents are in this group too). I tell them, do the math, you're throwing it at your house...

Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 AM

270 posts, read 273,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
As everyone says in real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

I will generally agree but up to a certain limit. There are limits to everything, nothing is infinite, including money.

The first thing to recognize (which many people who live here deny cause apparently they can't do math or use their brain?) is that there exists a price to pay for living in SoCal cause of location and that price premium is insanely high. This doesn't include the daily hassel of traffic and overall general crowdedness.

Then the next thing is to ask, how high is too high. I've seen too many people who become housepoor, and literally do nothing except work and pay their mortgage/rent. I don't know about you, but I might as well commit suicide if that was going to be the rest of my life. I've seen this situation happen far too often, with people complaining they don't have money to take their family on vacations, or go out more often (my parents are in this group too). I tell them, do the math, you're throwing it at your house...
Seriously, something I notice is that all of the people I know that are wealthy are mostly non-natives. It seems like they were transferred or recruited to LA and that's how they eventually became well off. Being single, I never felt the need to travel outside of California, but monetarily it would have been very hard to do. Now that I no longer live there, I have money to travel outside of my state. My friends all make more money than me on paper, but their lifestyle other than good weather (which is a real factor) is relatively poor. I don't need roommates, they do.

As I once heard, it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep. Words to live by

Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,238 times
I have a bit of exposure to what happens in this situation.
I moved Milwaukee > LA and my company (Fortune 1000) saw it as a 10% COL bump.
We have pulled talent out of LA into lower COL areas (Ex: West Lake TX) and kept them at the same salary.
Although it was the same salary, it was seen as a raise due to the offset in housing costs.
This of course had to be explained to each of these employees, but the drastic difference in housing makes it a clear upgrade.
I doubt these employees will see another pay bump for some time as the company primarily moved them to save spend. More of a long term play.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:31 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
I'm in software and considered relocating out of LA, but pretty much everywhere with good paying software jobs is practically as expensive as LA, if not more so (I'm looking at you Seattle, SF, NY, DC, and even Austin). Of those, SF seems to be the only place with noticeably better pay, everywhere else was about the same as here.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
Seriously, something I notice is that all of the people I know that are wealthy are mostly non-natives. It seems like they were transferred or recruited to LA and that's how they eventually became well off. Being single, I never felt the need to travel outside of California, but monetarily it would have been very hard to do. Now that I no longer live there, I have money to travel outside of my state. My friends all make more money than me on paper, but their lifestyle other than good weather (which is a real factor) is relatively poor. I don't need roommates, they do.

As I once heard, it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep. Words to live by
Precisely why I decided to move also. The lifestyle/quality of life just plain sucks as the trade off for weather and being in SoCal. I feel like living in a third world country by being in SoCal to be honest, no community is really nice, unless it's in OC and if so, rent is way off the charts. Funny enough is my family is still in denial of reality. Heading into a new state, it's just me, myself, and I.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
I think everyone who lives here knows they pay a premium for location. But personally if I had to live in Phoenix I'd want to commit suicide. Places with jobs and overall quality of life are generally expensive. I know I guy who is a system engineer who lived in Phoenix. When he lost his job he had to pick up his family, sell his house and move back here because he couldn't find another job that paid enough there. Ive had job offers in places with lower COL and good lifestyle but I knew if that job went away there wasn't enough industry to easily find a comparable job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles