Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2006, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,407 times

Advertisements

My wife has accepted a job in the LA area, and we will be moving there next Spring.

I have never been to California, and I currently live quite happily in Chicago (no, the weather doesn't bother me.) Needless to say, I'm a bit apprehensive about the move.

My wife's new boss has recommended we live in Pasadena, which is near to both locations where my wife will be working. We can probably afford around $1,500-2,000 for our monthly rent. We're looking for a two bedroom that allows dogs and has a decent kitchen.

My questions for those of you who know the area:

Is Pasadena a decent place for two professionals in their late 30s / early 40s to live?

Are there areas of Pasadena to avoid? Does it have any really nasty neighborhoods?

What is the difference in neighborhoods between Pasadena and South Pasadena? I see the two listed separately on some apartment web sites.

We don't want to live too much further from LA than Pasadena, as it's likely I'll end up with a job in the city. Are there other locations we should consider? What about Altadena? Any other places we should look?

Any help is truly appreciated.

Noah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 65,911 times
Default I love Pasadena!

Pasadena would be a great place for two young professionals! Of course, there are some not-so-savory neighborhoods, as there are in any city, but you should be able to avoid them with the amount of rent you are able to pay. You should be able to get a nice apt. or townhouse in a decent neighborhood. Pasadena has so much to offer - great shopping, fabulous restaurants, etc. Oh, and South Pasadena is a separate, smaller city, a bit more upscale.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 11,329 times
Default pasadena

pasadena is a great place, i love it.

I amTony and have been living in Pasadena for about a year. I adore it, i also have a 7 month old baby and it works great. I work in Pasadena through Real estate investment, are you looking to buy or to rent.

kindest Regards
Tony

Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,791 times
Pasadena is good yes. South Pasadena is considered a separate city and is a really really cute little family community. It's more suburban and Pasadena has more of that "old town feel" with the city elements. Coming from Chicago and not having kids you would probably really prefer Pasadena to South Pasadena. There are more apartments available there too. If you can afford it and it's close to where you will be working you will probably be very happy there.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,404 times
Pasadena is a great place to live. There are some seedy areas towards the east side of town off Colorado Blvd., and area just to the east of the Rose Bowl is not so great, but there are loads of apartments to rent in your price range. Try to get an apartment within walking distance of the Gold line, which takes you straight downtown. South Pasadena, which is a separate city is family oriented and charming. The town has lots of shopping, nightlife, cultural activities, and beautiful hiking and biking nearby. It's an ideal place to live. Plus great Asian food in nearby Arcadia, Rosemead, and Monterey Park.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 77,281 times
I have family in that area. They love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles