Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:03 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDe82 View Post
Thank you for your sound advice. The cool thing is that the job I am going to take there are like 7 different locations in SoCal, so I'm weighing my options and then will tell management which location I prefer to work from.
You might want to list those 7 places, your income, how much time you are willing to drive to get to work, what kind of car you drive, as in, will it meet California emissions standards, or is it green and you get a carpool sticker.

Quote:

I am leaning towards Long Beach - it appears to be pretty affordable, yet close enough to the heart of LA for when friends and family visit and want to do the whole "tourist" thing.
Not sure what you referred to the Heart of LA, Downtown? Touristy stuff like Disneyland, Universal Studio, Venice and Santa Monica Beach, Long Beach Aquarium, are kind of outside LA, so when people come in, expect a whole lot of driving wherever you live.

Quote:
However there is a chance that I will have to commute into the office 2-3 days a week, and while that is still to be determined there are 2 locations in LA that I could chose from. I am not immune to traffic - so I will keep my mind open in that aspect.
2 places or 7 locations as stated in another post?

Quote:
Ideally I would love to rent a little house - with at least 2 bedrooms, a small outdoor space, in a safe neighborhood (where I could walk a dog), for around $1500.. now I know that is unheard of in West Hollywood, but what are some other areas besides Long Beach that this budget could potentially work? I am single, and I have outgrown my party days - I work for the government but I am super creative, and would like to live around life - meaning not in the boonies. It would be nice to be walkable to shops and such - but I have a car and I am fine with driving I just don't want to have to drive over an hour to get to Target, Ikea, grocery shopping, etc. Any advice on neighborhoods I should consider please post below!!
Except of Ikea, everything is less than 30 minutes away. There is probably a grocery store 10 minutes away from everyone in LA and its suburbs. $1500 or $750 a room for a 2 bedroom house is pushing the lower limits for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Quote:
Another question is of course how to determine how much the move would run me. I would like to ship my car, and most of the contents of my one bedroom apartment. Any advice on how to tackle that? What companies are reputable?... are their companies that handle both the apartment move and car? How do you determine WHEN to ship? How long will it take? Are you allowed to pack things in your car that is being shipped? Any advice on this would be amazing.
A truck cost me $800 to ship from new york 5 years ago. The car must be empty with very little gas in the tank, took over a week. If the car won't pass California standards, it has much lower resale value.

If you move in December, weather in parts of the country can cause delays in your moving.

When you move, expect to need $1500 for your rent, $1500 - $3000 for deposit. After you get quotes on the moving cost, you'll need to decide if it is worth keeping your stuff or buying new. You can look up ABF moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 AM

266 posts, read 320,015 times
It's hardly snobbish to advise people to NOT say Cali. It's good advice!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Win View Post
If you want to look like a complete tool/transplant hick in public go ahead and use cali. No sweat off my back.
I'm from LA and do not mind the term "Cali." It does not carry a negative connotation to it so why care so much. And everyone and their monkey knows you are not referring to the city in Colombia.

With that said, I usually use the term "SoCal."

Last edited by 3shipguy; 05-25-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 12:18 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
I had a relative live in Long Beach and would consider it a good place to be.

If you are a Redskins, Ravens or Terps fan there are meet up groups in the LA area for them (if you or anyone else is interested)
Ravens fans meet at the happy ending bar in Hollywood
https://www.facebook.com/thewestwingla
Terps fans in LA
https://www.facebook.com/TerpsLA?fref=ts

Redskins fans meet at Joxer Daly's in Culver City

Good luck in your move- Southern California is great

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 05-25-2016 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: add more information

Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 AM

110 posts, read 134,225 times
Pasadena is nice. But you'll at least need to spend $1600 to get a decent place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles