Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:17 PM

387 posts, read 511,725 times

Advertisements

Don't forget that every millennial loves hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:42 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Move to the poor neighborhoods. They're majority fat.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoj36 View Post
Maybe because of the Hollywood beauty environment, plus the petite Asians and Hispanics communities? Plus the beach environment also.
Hispanic communities? Go to any suburb on the SE/E sides that's majority Hispanic like Downey, South Gate, Norwalk, East LA, etc., and you will find tons of obese people waddling down the street. The only parts of LA that is into the physical fitness thing are the trendy areas like the beach communities, west side/Hollywood, and South OC. Any area with money. There are more than enough fat people in the "regular" parts of LA for you not to feel out of place.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Hispanic communities? Go to any suburb on the SE/E sides that's majority Hispanic like Downey, South Gate, Norwalk, East LA, etc., and you will find tons of obese people waddling down the street. The only parts of LA that is into the physical fitness thing are the trendy areas like the beach communities, west side/Hollywood, and South OC. Any area with money. There are more than enough fat people in the "regular" parts of LA for you not to feel out of place.
True. Most of LA county is fat. Most people of all races are fat. In Hispanic American culture, you are often considered feminine if you are too skinny or even athletic/toned. Most Hispanics are overweight.

Asians can be petite or skinny but a hell of a lot of them are fat now in america.

Being inshape is considered strange or weird in most of LA. Outside of the Westside/Hollywood/Beach Cities/South OC.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Yeah but how much of that being into fitness isn't just them being image conscious? I see a lot of fit people on the Westside but I wonder how much of it isn't part of the image conscious rat race to get ahead? Not that there is particularly anything wrong with using looks as one facet to get ahead but just how much of the fitness is for show and how much is it out of a genuine desire to be health conscious? I also see a number of people that clearly cheat. I'm into fitness myself and I can tell when someone does mostly cardio but no strength training or doesn't do legs or many other things. I've seen plenty of women that are thin but I can tell only get on a treadmill or skip meals or eat salads because they're loose and not toned. My boss is like that. Eyes sunken in, but thin.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:26 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Yes, because we all know that BMI is a great indicator of quality people.

As a chubster I found people in LA much more accepting that the NY'ers I am surrounded by. I like to believe it was because I was more pleasant in LA and also way more active. This helped put me in a better mood and increased my interaction with people in general. I even joined a small gym and was treated the same as everyone else who was there to workout and not fool around.

The media loves to make an issue of weight and some shallow ignorant idiots buy into it. In general though, I think personality plays a much bigger role in social acceptance. It does help if you don't smell like butt.
Did I say that being chubby puts you out of the game? Your assuming way too much about my statement. In general yes, most people around the USA will choose the more attractive person. However, some people will lose that attraction once they open their mouths. So, its not either this nor that. However, if you have ever used any shallow dating app, then you will know that looks are the first entry into acceptance for everything, everywhere. Even in non shallow New Orleans.

Last edited by jamills21; 05-11-2016 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 09:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

I don't know. I'm in the valley, and the Hispanics seem to be in better shape than I've seen elsewhere.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:35 PM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
I live in the SFV, and I see a lot of fit people. I'm slim and even I feel a bit out of shape here.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Then I wonder what you're all describing as "in shape." LA is not an in shape city in general. It's not Jackson MS but... Probably places like Denver or Seattle are more in shape.

There are too many tempting burgers (we have the best supposedly), breakfast burritos, and dim sum here...

Old 05-11-2016, 09:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Then I wonder what you're all describing as "in shape." LA is not an in shape city in general. It's not Jackson MS but... Probably places like Denver or Seattle are more in shape.
That's what I am saying. I thought Denver was supposed to take the cake on physical fitness. Same with Seattle but LA? LA County? We have a lot of fit attractive people here, but we also have a lot of chubbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles