Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:03 AM

71 posts, read 113,518 times

Advertisements

I had a co worker come from the midwest, she was considered obese. I don't think anyone cared about her size but herself. I do agree that people out here are conscious about their health and their bodies do reflect it but I think a big part of it is having the outdoors available year round. But back to my original point, most people don't really care about weight. I think it's more on the person feeling like they don't fit in. I will tell you this, the more weight my co worker lost the more she moved up the ladder. She went from obese to fit with abs but I'm sure it was just her confidence building up. She is one hell of a worker big or small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 06:41 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Did I say that being chubby puts you out of the game? Your assuming way too much about my statement. In general yes, most people around the USA will choose the more attractive person. However, some people will lose that attraction once they open their mouths. So, its not either this nor that. However, if you have ever used any shallow dating app, then you will know that looks are the first entry into acceptance for everything, everywhere. Even in non shallow New Orleans.
OK, but operative word here is "shallow".

Old 05-12-2016, 08:02 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,149,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoj36 View Post
Maybe because of the Hollywood beauty environment, plus the petite Asians and Hispanics communities? Plus the beach environment also.
You're having a laugh there...

I definitely felt the pressure and ridicule as a fat kid and yes, there's definitely a fitness culture among the higher-educated (and higher-income) band of the L.A. population but I would imagine it would be the same in most other major metros, as well.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:05 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
This is not a fatshaming thread nor a reflection of my life. I'm just saying California has so many good looking fit people that they basically treat you as you're invisable if you're not a well-rounded person yourself.

Growing up as a kid in the Valley, i was pretty chubby. I joined my Track and Field team in high school and burned all my fat in time for adulthood. I KNOW that if i would've grew up elsewhere in the US, i wouldn't have had the motivation to be fit. There's something about LA where you feel like you gotta impress everybody or at least look presentable when you go out in public. You can say my intentions we're pretty shallow but i'v witnessed people being treated differently by their weight, and even experiencing it myself in middle school.

In California, Chubby is equivalent to Obsessed in society. The culture here is not for everyone and it can shock some midwesterners for thinking we're snobby people when really it's just a different mindset.
Its not just California... probably anywhere outdoorsy or with beaches nearby. I have heard similar comments to yours about Florida

Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
I think you can find the image conscious thing anywhere but I think in LA there's actually an economy built on image. All the trendy health kicks, social media garbage and fads begin in LA, albeit a small section of LA that most Angelenos are actually embarrassed about and mock themselves. That mess then trickles down to other cities too. The Kardashians, anyone?

Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
This is not a fatshaming thread nor a reflection of my life. I'm just saying California has so many good looking fit people that they basically treat you as you're invisable if you're not a well-rounded person yourself.

Growing up as a kid in the Valley, i was pretty chubby. I joined my Track and Field team in high school and burned all my fat in time for adulthood. I KNOW that if i would've grew up elsewhere in the US, i wouldn't have had the motivation to be fit. There's something about LA where you feel like you gotta impress everybody or at least look presentable when you go out in public. You can say my intentions we're pretty shallow but i'v witnessed people being treated differently by their weight, and even experiencing it myself in middle school.

In California, Chubby is equivalent to Obsessed in society. The culture here is not for everyone and it can shock some midwesterners for thinking we're snobby people when really it's just a different mindset.
You guys hear about Richie Incognito, and all his antics. It is a result of him getting beaned on for being fat as a kid in NJ. Cali is not the only place where physical appearance is important. It is pretty universal actually.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,768 times
I think LA lacks the very obese people. The kind that use scooters in Walmart. Most fatties here seem to top out around 200-250 lbs. You don't generally see 300+ lb fatties

Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
I think LA lacks the very obese people. The kind that use scooters in Walmart. Most fatties here seem to top out around 200-250 lbs. You don't generally see 300+ lb fatties
Come out to the Valley! And I mean Northridge. It's rarer but not non existent.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,358 times
In LA if you're just a little bit over weight then you're considered "fat". Hit the elliptical daily and cut your sugar consumption down to about 30 grams a day and you'll be surprised what happens.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:41 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Come out to the Valley! And I mean Northridge. It's rarer but not non existent.
I live in the valley. There are fatter people in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles