Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 PM

387 posts, read 511,966 times

Advertisements

This is not a fatshaming thread nor a reflection of my life. I'm just saying California has so many good looking fit people that they basically treat you as you're invisable if you're not a well-rounded person yourself.

Growing up as a kid in the Valley, i was pretty chubby. I joined my Track and Field team in high school and burned all my fat in time for adulthood. I KNOW that if i would've grew up elsewhere in the US, i wouldn't have had the motivation to be fit. There's something about LA where you feel like you gotta impress everybody or at least look presentable when you go out in public. You can say my intentions we're pretty shallow but i'v witnessed people being treated differently by their weight, and even experiencing it myself in middle school.

In California, Chubby is equivalent to Obsessed in society. The culture here is not for everyone and it can shock some midwesterners for thinking we're snobby people when really it's just a different mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:54 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,567 times
I'm on the chubby side myself. I was also in your situation when I was younger.

Still plus sized, but I don't let myself go like a slob. While I do want to look presentable, I don't really give a **** about the "good-looking" people have to say because I'm not trying to impress them.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Agree completely with OP. Fitness seems relative to the type of people seen around us in the environment, and in LA, seeing those who are slender and fit is an everyday occurrence. Can't say that's a bad thing, necessarily.

And of course the weather eliminates a lot of the excuses for not getting out and exercising being used in so many other places in the country.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:11 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
I'm pretty sure people prefer fit people over "chubby" people everywhere no matter the location in the USA.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:40 PM

103 posts, read 112,328 times

Because you know its all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:45 PM

387 posts, read 511,966 times
I'm glad i don't feel alone on this topic. I'm not saying if you're fat, you'll have no friends or a weak social life in LA, however you can't deny there's a hidden passive agressive angry towards slobs who let themselves go bad. Those types are more likely to have a hard time in California.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:00 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I'm pretty sure people prefer fit people over "chubby" people everywhere no matter the location in the USA.
Yes, because we all know that BMI is a great indicator of quality people.

As a chubster I found people in LA much more accepting that the NY'ers I am surrounded by. I like to believe it was because I was more pleasant in LA and also way more active. This helped put me in a better mood and increased my interaction with people in general. I even joined a small gym and was treated the same as everyone else who was there to workout and not fool around.

The media loves to make an issue of weight and some shallow ignorant idiots buy into it. In general though, I think personality plays a much bigger role in social acceptance. It does help if you don't smell like butt.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
I'm glad i don't feel alone on this topic. I'm not saying if you're fat, you'll have no friends or a weak social life in LA, however you can't deny there's a hidden passive agressive angry towards slobs who let themselves go bad. Those types are more likely to have a hard time in California.
Skinny or fat.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
This is not a fatshaming thread nor a reflection of my life. I'm just saying California has so many good looking fit people that they basically treat you as you're invisable if you're not a well-rounded person yourself.

Growing up as a kid in the Valley, i was pretty chubby. I joined my Track and Field team in high school and burned all my fat in time for adulthood. I KNOW that if i would've grew up elsewhere in the US, i wouldn't have had the motivation to be fit. There's something about LA where you feel like you gotta impress everybody or at least look presentable when you go out in public. You can say my intentions we're pretty shallow but i'v witnessed people being treated differently by their weight, and even experiencing it myself in middle school.

In California, Chubby is equivalent to Obsessed in society. The culture here is not for everyone and it can shock some midwesterners for thinking we're snobby people when really it's just a different mindset.
Really? I've noticed people's standards are a bit higher here when it comes to dating but day'um. There are other more health and fit conscious cities than LA though, such as cities in Colorado and WA, at least from the little I've read on the subject but I wonder if they treat their people of size any worse?

Old 05-11-2016, 03:16 PM

103 posts, read 112,328 times
Maybe because of the Hollywood beauty environment, plus the petite Asians and Hispanics communities? Plus the beach environment also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles