Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times

Advertisements

It's also very noisy. There are certain people who like to play music very loud. So if this matters to you, please go by the building or neighborhood (if possible) at night and check it out. I lucked out with my building, but walking to my car, I would hear other buildings. The funny thing is I used to walk around in the area you mentioned at night with no problems, so I guess that makes the area somewhat safe. But for me, the parking wasn't worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM

39 posts, read 125,068 times
I pass there weekdays coming from school. If you pass the neighborhoods they are very quite. Main streets are main streets so you expect noise.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:42 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,343 times
I've lived here in Korea Town for the past 11 years, before that, I lived in Hollywood for three years. I had more problems in Hollywood than here in Korea Town. In Hollywood, my neighbor's apartment door was kicked in and his belongings were taken. Here in Koreatown, we have more senior citizens, more recent Immigrants from India, Pakistan, etc. so there are people home in the apartment buildings during the day and less crime. However, I live north of Wilshire Boulevard and that might make a difference.

Parking is definitely a problem here. ALWAYS ask about parking before you rent and try to find a place nearby to rent parking if it isn't available at your building.

Also, check with the LAPD, 1-800-ASK-LAPD, to find out what the recent crime statistics are for the immediate vicinity. Visiting the building during the time you will be leaving for work and arriving home is also a good idea and being there during the evening to observe the general noise level if you would have a problem with a noisy building is a good idea too. Here, many managers don't monitor noise at all.

Also, the older buildings here seem to have a lot of pest problems. Make sure that your building manager sprays for roaches before you move in and that you check the apartment before moving any of your belongings into it.

Like others have mentioned, Korea Town is centrally located, so it is convenient to a lot of different locations. You can easily take the subway downtown and avoid having to pay $25.00 to park your car in a lot. Also, the subway connects to lines that go to Pasadena, Hollywood, Norwalk, toward Redondo Beach and Long Beach.

Overall, it is more affordable than most of LA, but I still think many people, unless they live in the new half million dollar condos here, would rather live in a nicer section of town. However, every single year, the location continues to improve, and the rents rise along with the new improvements.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,090 times
So koreatown is not entirely oriental?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
I drive through it every day. Oriental? Uh, it has plenty of Asians, Hispanics and young people of many races. Great places to eat (El Cholo!), but the sidewalks are like 24-7 flea markets and, it bears repeating, parking is a challenge. Subway stops at Western and Vermont help, but expect to park away from your place if there isn't dedicated parking.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 AM

63 posts, read 160,275 times
Hello - I am not familar with LA at all and my parents are interested in living in/very near Korea town for a couple months this summer. Any suggestions on where to look for shared home/short term rental in the area. I tried craigslist but wasn't sure which town/area to search. Thank you!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
In speaking about Koreatown, here's an article in today's LA Times about how the area is booming with new development.

Projects breathe life into Wilshire corridor - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT3LokS View Post
I pass there weekdays coming from school. If you pass the neighborhoods they are very quite. Main streets are main streets so you expect noise.
If you pass through weekdays when no one is home, it should be quiet. Try living there (nights, weekends) and then decide how quiet it is.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Hello - I am not familar with LA at all and my parents are interested in living in/very near Korea town for a couple months this summer. Any suggestions on where to look for shared home/short term rental in the area. I tried craigslist but wasn't sure which town/area to search. Thank you!
You can type in Koreatown, or try Central LA

Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 PM

39 posts, read 125,068 times
A little north from Korea Town, you start to notice Gated Communities, so far the nearest one is in Olympic.

There is a little MS 13 hood there in Norton (S Korea Town), they aren't really active, but are seen sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles